Ultra Mods

httttt

This was nearly posted in the "Stupid thread" but I figure it is better here. Although, I would still class is as stupid.

WARNING: In no way have I thought this through, claimed I will do it, or believe any of this is a feasible... I simply want to spark a conversation about something that I have wondered and more specifically if any one else has had a similar thought.

1. Move the engine to the boot

My thoughts: Ultra hard to do and would probably be ***** to drive.

2. Take the parts out of a Kluger or Rav4 to make an Aurion AWD

My thoughts: Probably easier than we think but very expensive. Would probably provide only handling improvements.

This was nearly posted in the "Stupid thread" but I figure it is better here. Although, I would still class is as stupid.

WARNING: In no way have I thought this through, claimed I will do it, or believe any of this is a feasible... I simply want to spark a conversation about something that I have wondered and more specifically if any one else has had a similar thought.

1. Move the engine to the boot

My thoughts: Ultra hard to do and would probably be ***** to drive.

2. Take the parts out of a Kluger or Rav4 to make an Aurion AWD

My thoughts: Probably easier than we think but very expensive. Would probably provide only handling improvements.

Both very interesting ideas, and moving things to the boot may be easier than they seem... (i.e just take the whole k-frame, etc from the front)

But hey, since we are taking pie-in-the-sky stuff, how about a RWD aurion?

Take the 2GR and rotate it the right way, throw a pair of turbos on the sides (where the front driveshafts used to be, haha), grab a getrag 6spd from a supra, get a bellhousing to fit, get a tailshaft made, run a supra rear diff.

Of course the ammount of customisation and work that would go in to this would be incredible and it would be stupidly expensive. But it would be cool, no?

Never thought of that Mick!

Ok.

3. Turn the engine around and make it RWD. - Mick.

Ive got another!

4. Cut out the whole back seat and boot and shove the rear wheels where the rear doors are. Turn the Aurion into a Small Car. (Actually I've always wondered what large cars would look like if they did this. Photoshop?)

take the 2GR out and put a 2JZ in. would be alot easier and about 1/5 of the price

If you already have an aurion you get a 2GR with it.. plus there may not be enough room for a 2J in the engine bay. IMO if you did the internals on the 2GR you would get some very impressive numbers.

You are correct there, but how i look at it if im going to do a car that is a hard job ill make it worth while and funds will be last thing.

But if your just doing it for a bit of fun and not intending on keeping it for a lifetime, your idea will be great elegnt

My personal opinion only:

As Ford have already stated to go away from RWD and go AWD instead, my bet is, that Toyota are chewing on the AWD idea very very hard. Why would they want to fall behind Ford in the sixes stakes?

There might even be a normal FWD Aurion (facelifted) and then an AWD TRD on top, who knows?

But the original idea of just doing a 2012 facelift/internal improvement model might be well out of the window with Ford's recent announcement.

Edited by Auri 7

I reacon the TRD aurion should have came out a RWD with a launch control and that would be awesome..

Front wheel drive= EPIC Fail, on the TRD to much wheel spin.

My personal opinion only:

As Ford have already stated to go away from RWD and go AWD instead, my bet is, that Toyota are chewing on the AWD idea very very hard. Why would they want to fall behind Ford in the sixes stake?

There might even be a normal FWD Aurion (facelifted) and then an AWD TRD on top, who knows?

But the original idea of just doing a 2012 facelift/internal improvement model might be well out of the window with Ford's recent announcement.

Thanks guys for providing some real value back into this thread. No... Really.... We really needed to hear what you had to say because it hadn't been said in 500 different threads before this one. I am now more intelligent having read your off topic posts.

I reacon the TRD aurion should have came out a RWD with a launch control and that would be awesome..

I wouldn't call the FWD 'epic fail'. Sure it is has some aspects of it that is fail, but it still doesn't disappoint. So if you think it's an epic fail, would you turn one down if you were given one to drive? Too much wheel spin? Only if you aren't used to how it should be driven. Each to their own though. I guess you have to drive one to understand.

Personally, if I was going to do something to the Aurion that involved saying goodbye to my savings, it would be something along the lines of what these guys have done (performance wise only):

2009 Camry 5.8l V8 TRD RWD at the SEMA show

Mmmmm. Love that sound:

IMG_0965.jpg

I purchased an Aurion ANCAP crash test car for the purpose of building my own chassis for a mid-engine rear wheel drive ... race car (for lack of better description). Ask Google about the Ariel Atom to get a better idea (if you don't already watch Top Gear).

Image a the engine and drivetrain (converted to a Toyota EA60 6-speed manual, per Lotus Evora) picked from the front of the Aurion and put behind 2 race seats. Then add some steel tubes between them and 4 tyres. Make the road authorities happy by screwing on some headlights. Then we have 200 'killer wasps' (before modifications) at the rear tyres and only having to push 550kg to 200km/h in under 11 seconds ...

But hey, you could move the Aurion engine if you want - I know what I would rather drive!

The engine does come out on the subframe quite nicely, so any move would be easy if you make the space. But might I suggest picking up a Kluger rear transfer case and rear diff, if you want drive at the rear (which would be bucket loads of work). I have photos and a video in previous post, if you can find them.

As for my short term plans for RWD while I build my car, have a look at the FT-86ii concept coming up at the Geneva motor show on the first of March - it is rumored to be a 2012 model.

I purchased an Aurion ANCAP crash test car for the purpose of building my own chassis for a mid-engine rear wheel drive ... race car (for lack of better description). Ask Google about the Ariel Atom to get a better idea (if you don't already watch Top Gear).

Image a the engine and drivetrain (converted to a Toyota EA60 6-speed manual, per Lotus Evora) picked from the front of the Aurion and put behind 2 race seats. Then add some steel tubes between them and 4 tyres. Make the road authorities happy by screwing on some headlights. Then we have 200 'killer wasps' (before modifications) at the rear tyres and only having to push 550kg to 200km/h in under 11 seconds ...

But hey, you could move the Aurion engine if you want - I know what I would rather drive!

The engine does come out on the subframe quite nicely, so any move would be easy if you make the space. But might I suggest picking up a Kluger rear transfer case and rear diff, if you want drive at the rear (which would be bucket loads of work). I have photos and a video in previous post, if you can find them.

As for my short term plans for RWD while I build my car, have a look at the FT-86ii concept coming up at the Geneva motor show on the first of March - it is rumored to be a 2012 model.

Can i test drive it when you finish it? That sounds hot :spiteful:

One of my last planned mods for my best was going to be turning her into an AWD beast (adding power to the engine as well, so pretty expensive) but after a few articles I think I may wait for the FT-86 to come out, or something similar and save some dough. Sure it would be awesome to have an AWD Aurion, and it would be an impressive beast for the quarter and the track, but it's just way too pricey.

One of my last planned mods for my best was going to be turning her into an AWD beast....

Please tell me that was only just a dream, because I would think you would have to be pretty crazy (in the bad sense) if you could actually justify the amount of custom work and dollars involved. It's like saying that I'd sure like to sleep with Hollywood celebrity, but I know that it is something that would never ever happen.

One of my last planned mods for my best was going to be turning her into an AWD beast....

Please tell me that was only just a dream, because I would think you would have to be pretty crazy (in the bad sense) if you could actually justify the amount of custom work and dollars involved. It's like saying that I'd sure like to sleep with Hollywood celebrity, but I know that it is something that would never ever happen.

It's always nice to dream of winning the lotto. Although if I did and worked out the cost, I think I'd just get another car that was already AWD or RWD with plenty of power tongue.gif Might I also add that I don't think straight due to working shift work, rather sleep deprived most of the time whistling.gif

I wouldn't call the FWD 'epic fail'. Sure it is has some aspects of it that is fail, but it still doesn't disappoint. So if you think it's an epic fail, would you turn one down if you were given one to drive? Too much wheel spin? Only if you aren't used to how it should be driven. Each to their own though. I guess you have to drive one to understand.

Personally, if I was going to do something to the Aurion that involved saying goodbye to my savings, it would be something along the lines of what these guys have done (performance wise only):

2009 Camry 5.8l V8 TRD RWD at the SEMA show

Mmmmm. Love that sound:

Dont get me wrong DJKOR not trying to diss your car, but i have spoken to many toyota representavies , and asked why the TRD aurion wasnt a popular seller? They answered with toyota f**ked it up by making it FWD and few other things, and one them also said that is why they discontinued, but im not using that as a proper statement only from what ive heard .

But the reason i say that its a epic fail if you do a bit more work to it, interally bolt on, or ECU wise TRD aurion is a powerful car you would want to see it go not spin half the time.

Dont get me wrong DJKOR not trying to diss your car, but i have spoken to many toyota representavies , and asked why the TRD aurion wasnt a popular seller? They answered with toyota f**ked it up by making it FWD and few other things, and one them also said that is why they discontinued, but im not using that as a proper statement only from what ive heard .

But the reason i say that its a epic fail if you do a bit more work to it, interally bolt on, or ECU wise TRD aurion is a powerful car you would want to see it go not spin half the time.

I don't really care if you were to diss it anyway. What I'm trying to say is that it's not so much of a failure as everyone makes it out to be. There were some bad decisions that were made by Toyota when they designed the thing which ultimately led to the end of it, but those that did end up with it probably looked at it beyond just the whole FWD aspect. A lot of the people that do make big comments about the FWD vs. RWD scenario tend to prefer their Holdens and Fords.

It's all easy to make judgement on a car from just what you hear or after a single drive but drive it for a week and I'm sure you will be able to form a better opinion. It just comes down to what you are after.

On a side note, wheel spin is never an issue. You can drive these things pretty hard without getting any of that unless you intend on doing so.

As what Daryl has said.....you need to drive one of these things on a regular basis to really understand how the car performs.

Hell, half the time i don't even realize its fwd because the car handles so damn well with a few minor twaeks here and there.

All front wheel drive cars can achieve wheel spin if you want. The challenge is knowing how hard to push the car, and what its limitations are especially on the track.

I think Toyota was on a good thing with the TRD, just needed a few changes to make it an outstanding car.

People are always going to bag FWD in an Aussie RWD market.