Aurion Seat Belt Warning Chime/Buzzer

botak44

Hi. Picked up my new Aurion Touring SE a week ago-very happy with it-lots of gear for the price. Just curious about seat belt warning system. When I had a test drive in a base model ATX prior to closing the deal it had a loud chime when I started up without my belt on, but the Touring SE only seems to have a light indicator on the dash. Anyone know if the chime/buzzer whatever turns on and off for this?

Hi. Picked up my new Aurion Touring SE a week ago-very happy with it-lots of gear for the price. Just curious about seat belt warning system. When I had a test drive in a base model ATX prior to closing the deal it had a loud chime when I started up without my belt on, but the Touring SE only seems to have a light indicator on the dash. Anyone know if the chime/buzzer whatever turns on and off for this?

Mine only comes on if you drive off and reach around 20kph I think from memory then the chime starts.

Dealers can adjust how it operates (driver, passenger, both, neither), so it may have been set differently.

It really sucks that my passenger side does not have the chime. I wish it did. From what I recall Toyota also included the chime for the passenger side with 08+ models which in turn also bumped up the ancap safety rating.

It really sucks that my passenger side does not have the chime. I wish it did. From what I recall Toyota also included the chime for the passenger side with 08+ models which in turn also bumped up the ancap safety rating.

5-star from facelift in late 2009 (~October?), for model year 2010 vehicles.

Adding the lamp/chime for the passenger was the only change required for the safety rating (so if a 2007 model had it, it would have been 5-star from the start).

Mine only comes on if you drive off and reach around 20kph I think from memory then the chime starts.

Dealers can adjust how it operates (driver, passenger, both, neither), so it may have been set differently.

From any year? or 2009 ++

5-star from facelift in late 2009 (~October?), for model year 2010 vehicles.

Adding the lamp/chime for the passenger was the only change required for the safety rating (so if a 2007 model had it, it would have been 5-star from the start).

*****.. <_<

This reminds me of a recent trip to China where our driver had a dummy tongue (male connector) which he would insert into the seat belt buckle to stop the seat belt warning chime from being activated. This allows him to get in and out of the car quickly without the need to put on and take off his seat belt everytime and preventing the passengers from being annoyed by the loud seat belt reminder chime.

I must add that he does put on the seat belt if we are driving at any reasonable speed - he only uses the dummy tongue if he need to get in and out of the car quickly at short intervals with the car doing very low speeds between stops. Eg. picking up and/or dropping off passengers and luggage at different villas within the resort complex.

I find it interesting how he used the seat-belt :lol:

On my recent trip to China, the driver wasn't wearing one and man he was driving like a maniac. It was scary as. To make it more fun, the rear seats had seat-belts but no buckle. I was just wrapping the seat-belt around my arm and hoping for the best.

It was scary as. To make it more fun, the rear seats had seat-belts but no buckle. I was just wrapping the seat-belt around my arm and hoping for the best.

I don't see the point in that.. Might as well join the fun with the driver.. :D

It was scary as. To make it more fun, the rear seats had seat-belts but no buckle. I was just wrapping the seat-belt around my arm and hoping for the best.

I don't see the point in that.. Might as well join the fun with the driver.. :D

I really don't see the fun in that. When I was in my country (where road rules are only guideline :lol:) I was ****ting my self so much when my taxi driver was doing 120KM/h on a road that would normally be 60KM/h in Australia and on top of that we had NO seat belts and it was pouring down rain at night.

On top of that, the driver nearly rear ended a truck at about 90km/h if it wasn't for use yelling at him to tell him he was going strait for a truck that was nearly stopped on a "highway" so to speak. He then proceeded to turn to us and laugh like "LOL; my bad".

On the topic of crash safety, in addition to fitting a passenger side seatbelt warning chime/light, wasn't it also a requirement for Toyota to submit to an additional crash test? I specifically remember some discussion about this. Such discussion as:

Aurion, Falcon, Commodore ANCAP

On the topic of crash safety, in addition to fitting a passenger side seatbelt warning chime/light, wasn't it also a requirement for Toyota to submit to an additional crash test?

Toyota-Aurion-640x385.jpg

Yes, ANCAP purchase enough vehicles to give a maximum of a 4-star rating. It is then up to the manufacturer to supply a vehicle and pay for the testing for the side pole test (pictured above), which can then allow a 5-star score.

So the passenger seat belt warning ticked a box that gave the car a good chance of a 5-star score, so Toyota Australia decided to test (basically the first time Toyota had done this). The actual test done was on a pre-facelift vehicle, due to identical structure.

Summary: for people who obey the law and always wear seat belts, the 4-star Aurion (before facelift) is no different in ANCAP performance, compared to the 5-star version. This is one reason, among many, as to why Toyota do not fully agree with the rating system and previously chose not to have the optional (expensive) testing done.

On top of that, the driver nearly rear ended a truck at about 90km/h if it wasn't for use yelling at him to tell him he was going strait for a truck that was nearly stopped on a "highway" so to speak. He then proceeded to turn to us and laugh like "LOL; my bad".

You sure it wasn't a demonic, evil laugh? MUahahahahaa :spiteful:

Edited by Beep Beep