Cease Production of Corolla Sportivo

How can you guys say that the Corolla is a sports car because of the drivetrain, yet the Celica is a sports car by appearance only, when they share the same drivetrain?  :blink:

The corolla also shares the same drivetrain as the MRS. Are they in the same league??? I wouldnt think so. The celica has independent suspension all round and it would handle alot better than a sportivo, maiking it a sportier car...No?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you guys say that the Corolla is a sports car because of the drivetrain, yet the Celica is a sports car by appearance only, when they share the same drivetrain?  :blink:

In my view, the Sportivo is a "hot hatch", the Celica is a "sporty coupe", the MR2 is a "sports car" and the Supra is a "grand tourer", I'm just basing that on how various comparable cars have categorised themselves in my little mental encycopaedia!

Either way, Toyota seems to be losing its performance focus ... personally, if these proposed hi-po big cars are going to stay FWD, then they're going to fall flat.

I just think FWD runs out of puff when used in large, heavy, high powered vehicles. Toyota needs to put AWD under them, ala the X-Runner utility, or if they really want to target the SS/XR market, such buyers will only want RWD.

agreed. the problem with the stivo is, toyota is trying to push it into a market that is dominated by so many other vehicles in more than one aspect. cheaper yes - but too expensive for what it offers when compared to other "hot hatches". if you look into any hot hatches comparions - almost everytime the stivo is not mentioned. its trying to run with cars like the volkswagen golf gti, honda integra type s, mazda sp23 (which is pretty much the same as the stivo), renault megane turbo (ugly yes but it goes fast aha) and of course the wrx.

the general verdict is that the stivo and the mazda sp23 avoid the insurance premiums and the price of the rest of the turbo-charged competitors, but, unfortunately lack in everything else. im not saying that they're a bad car, thats just my view of the car market.

the different components of the stivo contradicts each other. it has an awesome screamer of an engine, smart bodykit. then on the other hand it tries to be luxurious with the leather seats, wrong seating position, strange pedal placement, the floaty suspension, tall gearing, etc. it seems that the personality of the car can't seem to decide on what it wants to be.

it needs a more cohesive package from the factory. but the it just makes it more fun for some to modify i guess.

well this is what i think, the stivo isn't a sports car, its a sports hatch, i think looks as a great deal to do with a sports car, thats why a celica is more classified a sports car to many people, there is no need to get technical and say that the stivo is one because it has this and that it isn't because it doesn't have this, but when it comes down to it, most people bought the stivo because it a everyday car with some guts to it, not because they're trying to be in the next fast and furious movie, because any smart driver would know to get a r34 or supra if thats what they wanted. so my opinion is stivo isn't a sports car, its a awesome car to have some fun with, feel free to agree or disagree...

The corolla also shares the same drivetrain as the MRS. Are they in the same league??? I wouldnt think so. The celica has independent suspension all round and it would handle alot better than a sportivo, maiking it a sportier car...No?

I'm not suggesting that the Rolla Stivo is a sports car.

Well, with the Stivo on its way out and no more toyota sports models (the camry sportivo? Ahahahaahahaha!) Toyota is Aust is surely going to go back to its stodgy old "family brand" days.

unless we 'rolla drivers start pumping in the mods... like those ealier model civic drivers did... come on! Who's with me?

Well, with the Stivo on its way out and no more toyota sports models (the camry sportivo? Ahahahaahahaha!) Toyota is Aust is surely going to go back to its stodgy old "family brand" days.

unless we 'rolla drivers start pumping in the mods... like those ealier model civic drivers  did... come on! Who's with me?

There are already a few guys here with close to or more than $10grand worth of mods done to their Stivos and it turns out very nicely with that much money put in. I honestly say it easily puts quite a few $40-50grand "Sports Cars" to shame on the straight and on the track. If only aftermarket parts are available more readily and affordable for the Stivo <_<

** A Daihatsu Copen is a "SPORTS CAR"!!!! :lol::lol: **

I think its way too subjective.. A Car means different things to people.. some think coupe, some think convertible etc. Some people like to drive "Sports Cars" like the Z3 or Ford Cougar because it has that "Feel" and some others like the S2000 or Integra TypeR because of raw performance. Now who is right and who is wrong? They are all classified "Sports Cars", just different people with different tastes. The Stivo has a raw character behind its soft suspension and comfy interior.. looks aside, but its got my vote as a "Sporty" car.

my 0.02cents :D

unless we 'rolla drivers start pumping in the mods... like those ealier model civic drivers  did... come on! Who's with me?

There are already a few guys here with close to or more than $10grand worth of mods done to their Stivos and it turns out very nicely with that much money put in. I honestly say it easily puts quite a few $40-50grand "Sports Cars" to shame on the straight and on the track. If only aftermarket parts are available more readily and affordable for the Stivo <_<

** A Daihatsu Copen is a "SPORTS CAR"!!!! :lol::lol: **

I think its way too subjective.. A Car means different things to people.. some think coupe, some think convertible etc. Some people like to drive "Sports Cars" like the Z3 or Ford Cougar because it has that "Feel" and some others like the S2000 or Integra TypeR because of raw performance. Now who is right and who is wrong? They are all classified "Sports Cars", just different people with different tastes. The Stivo has a raw character behind its soft suspension and comfy interior.. looks aside, but its got my vote as a "Sporty" car.

my 0.02cents :D

There are already a few guys here with close to or more than $10grand worth of mods done to their Stivos and it turns out very nicely with that much money put in. I honestly say it easily puts quite a few $40-50grand "Sports Cars" to shame on the straight and on the track.

To be fair... you'd probably hav to put an extra 10 grand in the "Sports Cars", in which case, the sports cars will probably kick *****...

but honestly the whole categorising thing is screwed... look at the insurance categories - compare the stivo and the subaru liberty 3. 0 r-b spec

the insurance companies label the stivo as a sports car and whack u wit a huge premium, the liberty on the other hand is a luxury car costing about the same in insurance as an ascent... but when it really comes down to it - the subaru does 0-100 in 6.9 secs... 180kW... so which one is the sports car?

my 0.001001 cents

• 2 weeks later...

Corolla Sportivo is not a sports car (but keep dreaming I do)

The dictionary meaning of a sports car

sports car

n.

An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds.

Sport car

n : a small low car with a high-powered engine; usually seats two persons [syn: sport car]

I dont want to start a war but our corolla sportivo is no way a sports car....it doesent match any of the definitions of a true sports car. Without a CELICA or MRS the sports range is gone. The corolla is just a fast runabout in my opinion but doesent handle and is not classified as a sports car.

What determines the "Sportiness" of a car is the heart -> the engine/chassis. The Celica and Corolla Sportivo feels sporty and can be considered "Sports" because it has a "heart" that revs to 8200rpm and produces more than 100bhp per liter displacemet, matching to a 6 speed close ratio gearbox. Suspension is a let down i must say but at least it can be improved (not like the DC5 TypeR and TypeS, you spend money on suspension to get worse handling). The MR-S has a nice chassis being mid-engined rwd but the engine is a let down for such a highly capable chassis and selling it at that price you expect more.

If you say looks determine whether a car is a "Sports" car or not, then you are a hairdresser and should go buy a hairdresser's car (no offense). ;)

Z

you do relise that the silycr the mr2 and rolla use the same chasis don't you????

I would agree that literally the stivo is not a sports car, however in general features and drivability i would say under practical application, it is more a sports car than a leisure hatch or something of the sort.

What other 120kw+ cars do you have to scream around in at 6k revs & over to get the output? The engine alone i think is enough to categorise it as sports, because as a road car engine, many car reviewers agree that the 2zzge isnt suitable :P

Add in the interior, body kit, etc and we have quite the unique blend of vehicle with plenty of charisma.

Hey Mintos,

I completely agree with ya on that. The engine makes basically the same power per litre as an M3 :blink: (from motor mag) and there are not many engines out there that can rev like ours, bar the exotics. Its a sweet package. I used to be a ford man, owning 3 diff models. but then I dragged off a mates XR6 (non torbo) and I bet that i would beat him around a track too.

Are XR6's enough of a sports car for you guys? :P

Next year said piano will only have ~700hp due to 2 less cylinders, but yeah you are right, money is being to the track into a series that due to oversight and over strict control does no longer allow for development of features that can ultimately aid the regular consumer which should be the sole intention of such a Hi-Tech sport. But that's an argument for another forum I browse... :P

I dont want to start a war but our corolla sportivo is no way a sports car....it doesent match any of the definitions of a true sports car. Without a CELICA or MRS the sports range is gone. The corolla is just a fast runabout in my opinion but doesent handle and is not classified as a sports car.

What determines the "Sportiness" of a car is the heart -> the engine/chassis. The Celica and Corolla Sportivo feels sporty and can be considered "Sports" because it has a "heart" that revs to 8200rpm and produces more than 100bhp per liter displacemet, matching to a 6 speed close ratio gearbox. Suspension is a let down i must say but at least it can be improved (not like the DC5 TypeR and TypeS, you spend money on suspension to get worse handling). The MR-S has a nice chassis being mid-engined rwd but the engine is a let down for such a highly capable chassis and selling it at that price you expect more.

If you say looks determine whether a car is a "Sports" car or not, then you are a hairdresser and should go buy a hairdresser's car (no offense). ;)

Z

you do relise that the silycr the mr2 and rolla use the same chasis don't you????

The Celica and Corolla share their floorpan, where the MR2 is obviously quite different being mid-engined, but shares the VVTi motor with the Corolla.

Anyway, this is beside the point ... the future for hi-po Toyotas is pretty gloomy here in Australia, and I think we're all agreed on that! :(