New Sportivo!!

Hey Guys,

New to the Toyota scene, after owning Hondas and other cars ive made the switch to a 'Tivo.

The only real issue I have with this car is that when downshifting to second at higher that 50-60 k's I get a nice CRUNCH which I can feel is no good for the Synchro's .. I have spoken to the previous owner ( A good friend) who drove the car around with me today and had no issues getting it into second smoothly... I think its a mixture of me being lazy with the clutch and the clutch needing adjustment..

Just a quick post asking for some tips.. Do you know any mechanics in SYD that I could bring the car to have the GB oil changed (preferably Redline Shockproof Oil) and an adjustment of the clutch ?

Thanks for your help guys !!

Hope to see you guys on future cruises!!

Cheers,

Oz

Welcome to the club!

Make sure you use Nulon G70 additive when you replace your gearbox oil, definitely helps with the crunching. Also how many k's has your car done? Stock clutch might be getting worn out.

Oh also the grinding/crunching is very common in the Sportivo due to a dragging clutch from the factory wearing out the syncros. You can adjust your clutch so it doesn't drag, or get an extended pushrod or change your gearbox oil to a thinner one and add Nulon G70 or change your clutch to a heavy duty.

Id say start at the easiest/cheapest like adjust the clutch and change your gearbox oil.

I have the same problem I've changed the gearbox oil to redline mt90 and the box feels great but I still got that crunch... I've played around with the gearbox selector but i couldn't find any adjustment :( does anyone know if there is any adjustment in the selector cable..?

Any of the Redline oils is a good choice for the Stivo box mate and any competent person can change it for you with minimal charges.

As for the crunch, get the clutch adjusted first and see if it improves... if it doesnt after the adjustment and the new fluid then look at swapping it out for something nicer, I always liked the excedy sports one for daily driving with a bit of heavy footness thrown in now and then ;)

• 2 months later...

I Recently brought a sportivo and about 2 weeks in i started to get the 1-2 and 2-3 crunches which sucked having just brought it i knew when i was looking at 1 that the boxes had issues anyway i changed the box oil to nuylon smooth shift and added G70 additive also it fixed the crunching factor though i could still feal it not disenguaging full so i adjusted the clutch giving it more stroke and its fantastic now i can slap gears all day , im in the sydney area mate and if ur still having issues with it all be more than happy to lend a hand.

preferably Redline Shockproof Oil

Don't use it in the box, it will make the problem worse.

As for the adjustment, does it crunch (or impossible to change gears) going up gears (redline in 1st to 2nd)? If so then the clutch needs adjustment, if not then the sychros are already gone and need replacing. You can help them out by giving the throttle a small blip to better match the engine/gear speeds.

excedy sports one for daily driving with a bit of heavy footness

actually from doing my own clutch, and driving other peoples car exedy have a lighter pedal but a heavier pressure plate, and smaller friction point, but yes excellent clutch for a daily driver

also, yes clutch fluid is easy to change,

the way i do it is,

drain it via 24mm bolt on the bottom. - tighten it back up

remmove the 17mm bolt on the 5/6th gear housing i believe.

remove the reverse switch ( 27mm ? cant memba )

fill ya oil via the reverse switch hole ( 2.7L - 3.0L ? approx :blink: ) till it comes out of the side hole

once it comes out, stop, put the bolt back in the side of the box, and put the reverse switch back in. degrease it, run it, check for leaks, R/T ..

if the steps are wrong someone fix it for me or something