Have you ever driven a dangerous road?

Steve

Mt. Tamborine/Springbrook/Natural Bridge back when I used to have my Aurion Sportivo. I used to drive those roads quite aggressively with some Subaru guys. I wouldn't call the road very dangerous, but at the pace we were going, it certainly makes it such. Lack of guard rails and trees on narrow lanes and tight bends certainly makes you put a lot of faith in yourself and your car.

Mt. Nebo comes in at second cause it has decent trees and guard rails to hopefully save you. Casually driving it takes about 14-15 minutes, Spirited driving for me is around 10-11 minutes.

Road up to Mt Nebo, and Mt Gravatt lookout in Brisbane. I find them a little scary because I don't know the roads. Some of the speed limits seem a little fast for some of the bends too. There are usually hoons treating these roads like a race track which makes it that little bit more dangerous.

It was on the way back from Sydney to Brisbane July 2008. My son and I had a trailer with the 18RG and gearbox and a couple wheels and tyres. We got to Armidale at about 10:30pm where the road north through Guyra was snowed out. We drove east on the Grafton road and ended up at Raleigh.

That road was narrow and with patches of black ice over the surface was a real challenge to drive. Have a look on Google Maps. It is really twisty. Ahead of us was a guy in a hurry driving a BMW and we just stuck with him all the way. It took us just over 2 hours 20 to get there and ended up getting home to Brisbane just after 4am

Never want to take the long way again. But then we had little choice

Lol well any Tasmanian mountain road or back road with peaks and troughs in winter. You can go from good grippy tarmac one second to skating on ice just like that, not good when you come around a right hander that heads downhill into a tight left hander to find the road from half way around the right hander is just pure ice & for half of it you were just a passenger. once we stopped we went for a walk back up the hill (and when i say walk i mean skate on your ***** because walking on it was near on impossible in patches) you could see a very defined line were the sun had hit the road and were it hadn’t, just like day and night. Closest I’ve ever came to crashing the ZR6! just thankful i had the line stop on into the corner which landed me fair on the apex of the tight left hander and have massive stopping power that even downhill on ice managed to wash enough speed off so that i could make the turn OH and it even tore the ice off the road too! (now that's impressive) but i still remember the moment when i realised it was about to go to sh!t and my mate in his AWD touched the brakes and it spat him sideways i thought god that just happened in an AWD what's going to happen in a FWD.. But i do have to say the Active Braking with intelligence (ABS, BA, EBD) is calibrated perfectly it did its job flawless kept the car straight and washed the speed off in some pretty intense conditions that came from know where.

I'd have to say the goat track coming down from Mt Nebo. No guard rails or trees in some spots, unpaved, for the most part hardly wide enough for one car and yet you frequently get people coming the other way that requires some very careful avoidance.

• 3 weeks later...

* Jenolan Caves (in a bus 40km of sharp turns over cliffs aint fun.)

* 21 Bends Kurri Kurri, well known for the highest P plater deaths in the hunter.

* Watagan Mountains, Central Coast, lots of washed away tracks, good for rally/drift practice.

West Coast Rd, a mountain range road in Arthur's Pass, South Island NZ. Sheer drop with no railing. I went in Spring time but I imagine it would be more dangerous in winter time with all the ice.

It's a glorious road though.

3973650721_f579e0eaaf_b.jpg

Edited by P_T

I've driven in LA if that counts... haha

:o

how screwed up is it driving on the wrong side of the road?

Its a bit weird, but its all setup for driving on the right, so its not too bad

I've driven in LA if that counts... haha

:o

how screwed up is it driving on the wrong side of the road?

It's great fun being on the wrong side. Spent 6 years over there driving East to West, and North to South. It's not hard to do, just keep reminding yourself at first that the driver is always nearer to the centre of the road (2 way road). A trip from Palm Springs to San Diego through the Moreno Valley, was one of the scariest, as well as driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike with road construction.

In NSW, driving to Hill End in a bus, where there is a cliff wall on one side, and a shear drop on the other. It is a 2 way dirt road (was in the 70's) and whenever we were on the shear drop side, everyone on the bus moved to the side of the bus of the cliff wall. Fun and games.