DIY general service

I reached 10,000 kms today and decided to replace the oil and filter myself. it took about an hour as i took my time and the sump plug was damn tight, and i dont have ramps, so it was a bit tight. I put Mobil Synth S 10w-40, and repco oil filter. The oil is semi synthetic and cost around $30 dollars, filter was $15. I figured since im gona change the oil every 5000k's it would be pointless to spend $70 on fully synthetic oil. I drained the oil when the engine was hot, it seems to flow quicker. Refilled with about 4.5 liters of new oil which is what the manual says, took the car for a spin and it runs fine.

Dont know, but im not taking my car in every 5000k's, thats a bit much, I will take her in every other 5000. I think it voids it since its "not a professional" doing the service, i dont know how they can justify 16 year old appentices as professionals though.

only use the genuine toyota oil filters, the other's dont have the same anti-drainback valves in the filters which protect the motor, and for the sake of $6 it is not worth risking your motor. Toyota will void your motor warranty if you use repco filters on there, they will not if you use toyota filters.

only use the genuine toyota oil filters, the other's dont have the same anti-drainback valves in the filters which protect the motor, and for the sake of $6 it is not worth risking your motor. Toyota will void your motor warranty if you use repco filters on there, they will not if you use toyota filters.

So are you saying that as long as we use Toyota filters, our warranty won't be voided? And we can still change the oil ourselves?

If you use the genuine Toyota filter the dealer will know no different will he....and you're not going to tell him yourself are you.

I'd really take everyones advice, get a genuine filter and swap it with the repco as soon as poss and you'll have peace of mind wont you

As Ali says..."keep it real.."

car service should be performed by a licensed mechanic who can stamp your service log book and warranty their work. when you sell your car can you show evidence of its service history? you might be very good at small servicing but second hand car buyers want evidence.

i guess you have missed the television commercials from ultratune.

if you think repco is a better filter for your engine please use it otherwise please use genuine toyota parts. i find no saving in price between these brands but using genuine toyota parts will save your warranty.

what is more important to you, saving $$$ now or saving your warranty for 3-5 years?

so many people worry about their warranty buy like to DIY and carry out performance modifications to their cars. you could send your warranty certificate back to toyota head office as you do not need it anymore!

i thought corollas are known to have very robust engines and very rarely breakdown (stock or with modifications).

if this is true then you should not worry about your engine faulting. if you lose your warranty and your engine needs repair all this means is that you fix it with your own $$$. the price to pay for taking short cuts in the past or playing with your car with modifications.

people are willing to spend big $$$ with performance parts from japan or aftermarket wheels but penurious on service and repairing faults.

take the car in every 10,000 for it's regular service to get the book stamped for resale value. I change my oil and filter ever 5K on all 3 of my rolla's, and on my other car which is still under warranty I send it in for it's regular service intervals, but dont like doing so since dealer service is a ripoff. My next "scheduled" service will cost $1K at the dealer, and I could get away with about $350 in parts if I DIY, but no stamp in the book...

At the end of the day all it takes is to tell the buyer that you did the oil change yourself at 5k intervals and that should be sufficient.

If they don't want the car, then I'm sure you'll get other buyers anyway.

I don't intend on selling my sportivo for 10 years or when rust starts to appear...

toyota will only see my car when warranty service is needed and the labour and parts must be free of charge.

any licensed automotive mechanic can stamp your service log book. comprehensive log book history gives second hand buyers peace of mind and could be stronger if all history is from toyota.

I put Mobil Synth S 10w-40, and repco oil filter. The oil is semi synthetic and cost around $30 dollars, filter was $15. I figured since im gona change the oil every 5000k's it would be pointless to spend $70 on fully synthetic oil.

Dude, if i had a 2ZZ under my bonnet i'd definately be using Mobil one after the motor was run in. The 2ZZ is a very higly stressed motor with narrow clearances, making it perfect for a fully synth oil. You've bought a nice new car, why not give it the best so that it can give you it's best. Don't skimp on fuels, fluids, etc.