used Lexus?

Martinj

Was wondering what you guys think about the option of getting a 2nd hand Lexus LS430 over a new Camry or Aurion? For around $40k you can typically get a 2002-2005 LS430 with around 60-70,000km mileage. Typically pristine as befits the quality of these cars and the character of their first owners (who must have been loaded with $$).

Graysonline have a BMW (settle...) 735Li from 2003 with 75,000km on it for under $30k - no warranty due to auction conditions, but what a motor car.

Thing is, it's comparing an 8 year old car with half a lifetime of mileage to a brand new car, and how much does a V8 cost to service and repair? THen again, it is a substantial upgrade in power, quality and amenities.

Would be interested to hear from anyone with direct or indirect experience of someone who has gone down the prestige used car route.

Without a doubt the 2004+ LS430 for $40K with around 60,000kms would be a better buy than a new aurion BUT i would think about the following:

1) Is the car going to be a daily driver?

2) Are you mid aged and have 2-3 high school kids?

The thing to remember with buying a ~10yo luxury car for the same price as a new mid-size is that whilst the initial purchase price is the same, chances are the servicing and repair costs will be significantly higher (fairly sure one of the reasons why 90s 7-series BMWs are so cheap these days is because they cost a small fortune to repair), plus any manufacturers warranty or service deals will have long evaporated.

Factor in as well the fact that you're buying an import rather than a made-in-Aus car (which will have cheaper parts than the same car imported from overseas), and that the LS has a 4.3L V8 that most people don't need on the 9-5 run, and it ends up not being as open and shut as you think.

Granted, if you _want_ a luxury car but don't want to spend the earth, it can be a great idea (hell, my missus loves the comfort, performance and luxury of her $13k '94 twin-turbo Soarer and drives it through city traffic to work every day) but if you just want an A-B car to ferry the kids around in and don't care about resale, luxury or image than the Camry/Aurion is the better choice.

Without a doubt the 2004+ LS430 for $40K with around 60,000kms would be a better buy than a new aurion BUT i would think about the following:

Not sure why age and number of kids would affect a choice between an '05 LS430, say, and a new Camry (?).

To be honest, the biggest issue I would have would be the size of the thing (parking, fitting into garage).

Not sure why age and number of kids would affect a choice between an '05 LS430, say, and a new Camry (?).

There are a lot of buttons that exist in the rear arm rest, one of them being the volume button for the stereo.

Simply as i have observed, Lexus from the GS up is targeted for the older citizens, most so in a LS model due to it's costs. It is not what i would called a daily driver due to size especially if you live in the busy areas. All the creature comforts and plush leathering would most likely favour the old. If you are in your 20s or on your Ps driving an LS430 wouldn't suit in this regards.

I would buy the Aurion without a doubt, new car warranty, fixed price services, plenty of grunt and depending on the model plenty of luxury as well. The older Lexus' are notorious for electrical issues and that gets costly.

i would recommend getting a brand new car over a used one knowing that the car has no issues or so ever and has warranty

You do realise buying new you would automatically lose the value of the car by $5-10K (say for a $40) between the moment you drive out of the dealer and 6months easily?

Before i bought my car, a 2010 Camry Hybrid which would have costed around $35K-39K new drive away was asking for $23K (with 3.9% finance). Car was under 1 year old and only had from memory 11000km. It came with balance of factory warranty and i believe an extra 3 years dealer warrantly.

Which one would you buy?

i would recommend getting a brand new car over a used one knowing that the car has no issues or so ever and has warranty

Which one would you buy?

new one.

no problems,

You do realise buying new you would automatically lose the value of the car by $5-10K (say for a $40) between the moment you drive out of the dealer and 6months easily?

Before i bought my car, a 2010 Camry Hybrid which would have costed around $35K-39K new drive away was asking for $23K (with 3.9% finance). Car was under 1 year old and only had from memory 11000km. It came with balance of factory warranty and i believe an extra 3 years dealer warrantly.

Which one would you buy?

As simple as it sounds, buy a 2nd hand newer car. Some people are willing to pay that extra bit to get the new feeling of a brand new car, or just bcoz they can. It's a matter of choice.

I fail to see the difference between a 6-12 months old/demo car vs a new car except the Ks on the speedo. You get the new car smell, new car looks, new car warranty, new car everything just not new car mindset. I can't argue with the pandentic thoughts of wanting a new car it is a choice of the individual who has big walltes i will have to agree.

That said i do have a car by this brand bought it with 1500Km on the odo.

Edited by aem

I think everyone agrees on the higher depreciation of new cars in the first 6-12 months after purchase, but who actually ever sells their new car in that period to realise the loss? It is therefore a weak argument.

My fairly recent experience involved buying a demo Camry with 1000km for $31k, and an identical model new for $35k. Both were discounted from RRP as they were built in the previous calendar year, and there was no alternative colour choice for either car.

The availability of the demo was fluke, and it's availability had nothing to do with my research, negotiating skills, or attempts to play different dealerships off against each other.

The demo was $4k less, but at the same time had used up over 9 months of its warranty already when it left the dealer. It had also been used as the demo for a major metropolitan dealership.

I think it depends on your stage of life and prefered car, as to whether you get new or used. My first two cars purchased by myself were used, as the new alternative for the money was....a very expensive bicycle or a motor scooter. If I wanted a Lexus LS, I would be forced to buy used as I would rather spend $180k on an investment property at my stage in life. On the other hand, when I go to upgrade to another Camry or Aurion in a few years, I will honestly more likely than not buy new.

BTW - VF-X that video clip is superb. If that is your wife waking up every morning, you are indeed a fortunate man.

Edited by Martinj

I think everyone agrees on the higher depreciation of new cars in the first 6-12 months after purchase, but who actually ever sells their new car in that period to realise the loss? It is therefore a weak argument.

My fairly recent experience involved buying a demo Camry with 1000km for $31k, and an identical model new for $35k. Both were discounted from RRP as they were built in the previous calendar year, and there was no alternative colour choice for either car.

If there are no body who sells their car in the first 6-12months, the dealers would not have them for sale. Ex-demo, Ex-Employee, Ex-gov or 1 owner cars are plentify at dealers. As i stated before a less than 1 y.o Camry Hybrid (this is not your avergae Camry) selling for $23K (new cost $35K-39K) with new car warranty is a much better buy than a new car. How is it not?

As for buying new in general, if i had $40K to spend i would not necessary spend it on a Camry. Put in a little more and there's the Euro Luxury to think about.

If there are no body who sells their car in the first 6-12months, the dealers would not have them for sale. Ex-demo, Ex-Employee, Ex-gov or 1 owner cars are plentify at dealers. As i stated before a less than 1 y.o Camry Hybrid (this is not your avergae Camry) selling for $23K (new cost $35K-39K) with new car warranty is a much better buy than a new car. How is it not?

As for buying new in general, if i had $40K to spend i would not necessary spend it on a Camry. Put in a little more and there's the Euro Luxury to think about.

What Martinj's trying to say is no one in their right mind would sell their car after 6-9 months unless there is a serious issue that's bothering them, this is for private use. Most of these cases within a year are often ex-demo, or company purposes. They sell it very cheap, maybe they just want to get rid of it, their depreciation goes towards their expenses anw, not like they losing anything, which turns out benefit you. It is good, but you don't find many private sellers doing this.

Some people can justify spending the extra money for the new car. Just like when people spend a fortune on a set of wheels for thousands / piece, when Tempe / ebay sells a set of the same size yet slightly different design for less than 1 grand / set. The same for tyres and everything.

For you to get those kinds of deals, some1 has to spend the extra difference. So logically, it makes sense to buy 2nd hand car to avoid instant drop value, but you have to accept, not every1 agrees with you. :)

For you to get those kinds of deals, some1 has to spend the extra difference. So logically, it makes sense to buy 2nd hand car to avoid instant drop value, but you have to accept, not every1 agrees with you. :)

I'm not asking people to agree with me or am i trying to brain wash anyone, all i'm saying it is logical to buy 2nd hand. If i have a phd in logic studies and if i'm pushing for this view it would easily be considered to be my view also, but i don't so it's purely about logic (not anyone's personal view). Logic is logic.

I'm not asking people to agree with me or am i trying to brain wash anyone, all i'm saying it is logical to buy 2nd hand. If i have a phd in logic studies and if i'm pushing for this view it would easily be considered to be my view also, but i don't so it's purely about logic (not anyone's personal view). Logic is logic.

lolwut.jpg

The question of buying a new or used car is not one that can be solved purely by logic to provide one definite answer for every person. Obtaining a logical answer for that particular question for a particular individual comes down to a number of factors that need to be assessed based on the individual. For example, what are the financial effects of buying a new car compared to a used car? How will the car be used? How will this use affect the car and will running costs of maintenance outweigh the cost to buying a new car with factory warranty? What features are actually required and have a real life bearing to the value of the car? All of these things can sway the logical decision for an individual in either direction.

Personally, if you really want to think the way you are, then there is no point to your initial question. Why try to get opinions when you have already made up your mind?

Instead, I will leave you with a question that has only one logical answer:

Say, you have to get up in the middle of the night to go out. The electricity is off for some reason and you've managed to get dressed but need a pair of matching socks. You know if you just get to the car or outside under the stars you can tell if your sock match. You know you have a drawer full of an equal number of black and white socks. They're all loose and not paired up. You don't want to carry an armful of socks to the car. So, what is the least number of socks you can take from the drawer in order to be assured you have a matching pair when you get to the light?

I am thinking WTF right now...

The question posed on this thread is more so dealing with a budget of around $50k, the average price of a used Lexus LS430 now. The new alternative for that money is a good value top-spec maintstream car (like Camry or Aurion), or a wannabe social climbing vinyl-trimmed, midget-sized baby BMW, Merc, Lexus or Audi. I won't mention the "domestic" duo of Falcon (Fairmont, G9, whatever) or Commodore (Calais, Statesman, Bogan de ville, whatever) because well, would you really want to?

On a budget of $5k to $25k definitely go used. As someone has pointed out, there is a plethora of 1-4 year old cars in that price range that have suffered the worst of their depreciation expense.