Power FC

just thinking, I know you may have tryed this already but would replacing with a celica unit such as this http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performa...mp;partid=14895 solve the problem?

EDIT: I just realised that those were all for Autometer guages, not OEM repacements... but still, could you get one from Toyota maybe that would do the job?

if toyota prices this item like it does all other things you'll probably be able to buy an entire guage set for what they are going to charge you for this one OEM gauge ;) ;) ;)

but seriously i cant think of a valid reason why what your indicating wouldnt work i guess however i would rather know exactly what temps im running rather than knowing 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & red as that provides minimal value until u hit red.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have a look at some wiring diagrams later, but I believe the ZZE123's temp guage signal is produced by the engine ECU, which is derived from the THW sensor in the engine. In traditional toyota setups, the engine has the THW sensor for the ECU, and a separate resistor type sensor for the cluster. Due to this I can't see the addition of a resistive sensor helping in any way to make the stock guage work.

If it was possible to replace the guage in the cluster wtih a celica item and rewire it with a celica temp sender, then it may work

took a look at the ZZE123 diagram, and it only contains a THW sensor, there's no second sensor to run the temp guage. The ECU derives the output to run the cluster's temp guage.

took a look at the ZZE123 diagram, and it only contains a THW sensor, there's no second sensor to run the temp guage. The ECU derives the output to run the cluster's temp guage.

this is spot on, in the celica the senso output that is used to run the cluster guage comes from a 2nd computer that runs together with the ECU, so back to the reason why it wont work ie because there is nothing there for it to get the signal from out of the PFC.

• 2 weeks later...

To give u some food for thought u could also run the power FC plugged in and wire up the stock ECU just to run the temp guage but i dont know if the stock ecu will let you do that as u might need to fool it into thinking its in control as it will probably throw error codes etc and so that might not even work and prove harder than building ur interceptor/transmittor.

Ok so if anyone is interested in seeing whats involved in doing the above and why i was steering clear of doing this take a look at these lovely pics ...... now who's putting their hand up 2 attempt this ???????

PFCInstal000.jpg

PFCInstall002.jpg

PFCInstall003.jpg

PFCInstall004.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

what is your aim?

a simple emanage gives a decent power/torque increase and goes well with an intake and exhaust, a powerfc lets you raise the revlimit and get a bit more power, but costs a lot more to tune.

what is your aim?

a simple emanage gives a decent power/torque increase and goes well with an intake and exhaust, a powerfc lets you raise the revlimit and get a bit more power, but costs a lot more to tune.

ok back to basics :blink: wats an emanage? im into the street scene and straight line drags, ive got fully upgraded exhaust and a short ram intake and im startin to look into a turbo so i was thinkin forgies but then i was thinkin ecu....

wat do u rekn?

To increase the 1zz displacement all you need to do is increase the bore of the pistons to the same as the 2zz. You will most likely have to use sleeves as well since a special coating is required on the pistons to stop them eating into the block. Try Monkey Wrench for some information.

yeh tru, do u kno any1 who does a stroker kit for the 1zz? would i need to stroke it? wher do i look for pistons an all that stuff for the 1zz? thanks for helpin me out :P

But are you looking into a Turbo or N/A set up? If you are going down the Turbo path, I don't see the value of stroking it as well (As nice as it would be :D ) The gain from the Turbo set up alone, even if you keep it conservative would be substantial.

Increasing displacement would be a very costly exercise but perhaps wouldn't give the power gain to justify the price. Just my 2c :)

yep thanks im thinkin turbo hay, but hav many done it? i mean to a 1zz ascent... i greatly value opinions from this forum :)

To increase the 1zz displacement all you need to do is increase the bore of the pistons to the same as the 2zz. You will most likely have to use sleeves as well since a special coating is required on the pistons to stop them eating into the block. Try Monkey Wrench for some information.

which stage would be best? :clap: do they do the injectors too?

• 1 month later...

Seriously contemplating this mod, but i need some direction with the workarounds required for encountered with the PFC install.

Northy, Help!!

what are you after exactly?

emanger you can get them 2nd hand fro around the $300 mark now, add few hundred for fitting/tune