Corolla Sportivo Clutch Change - Questions

Hey guys,

I bought my Corolla Sportivo knowing it needed a clutch change so I bought an Exedy HD clutch for it which was delivered today. On the way home I booted it a bit in 4th and the clutch slipped quite a bit. Time to change it!

1. My mate is doing it - is there any guide on here for doing it? Anything to watch out for?

2. Do you guys normally have to skim the flywheel?

3. Do you guys normally change the main rear seal while everything is out?

4. What would be a typical length of time to replace the clutch roughly?

Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by Mellow

an experienced mechanic with a hoist should be able to get it done in 3 hours. You dont have to drop the whole subframe in the sportivo to get the box out. If it's being done on stands with a normal jack it takes longer, last one I did was about 6 hours taking a lunch break in the middle.

I would change the rear main and machine the flywheel while it's apart. Nothing worse than having to do a job twice due to cutting corners.

I wouldn't put G70 into a box that doesn't already have worn synchro's. Lots of people use it in boxes that are fine apart from an incorrectly adjusted clutch master pushrod, all that does is promote syncrho wear.

My '05 stivo is starting to crunch when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd in high revs around the 7000-8000rpms range.. Clutch is completely fine though. I'm considering changing the whole gearbox & clutch since I've got my tax return back haha :)

I've read up on the threads here about the clutch master push rod but will that stop the crunching for good? If it will then please recommend an experience mechanic that can readjust.

By the way, any suggestions for a suitable after market gearbox & clutch for a '05 sportivo corolla?

Cheers.

May I ask why you downshift at 7-8? Not like u can go anymore in 2nd anyways ??

Sorry, that was an over exaggeration in the rpms but you know what I mean when downshifting! :/

Edited by ParvezK

Hey guys, i couldn't find any other thread for my question so i'll ask it here :closedeyes:

Anyways my clutch is starting to go (at 170 xxx K's) and im looking to get a new one. I was after an exedy hd cluch kit (part no. TYK-7334HD) as most people get, however i've contacted a US seller who cannot order it in as that model is based only for exedy australia dealers. He did however give me the option of an Exedy Stage 1 kit for the 2zzge (Part no. 16800) which can be found on the exedy us site.

I've compared both and they both have the same Size, Spline OD & No. of Teeth, and both have an organic clutch plates. So i basically just want to confirm that they're pretty much the same before i get it. Here is the link to it,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXEDY-RACING-STAGE-1-CLUTCH-KIT-PRIZM-VIBE-CELICA-COROLLA-MATRIX-MR2-1ZZFE-2ZZGE-/150927183404?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2323f60e2c

Thanks in advance guys,

JDeeee

Yeah i'm not buying that specific one, but im trying to get a deal with grip force for a stage 1 exedy clutch and a chromoly lightweight flywheel combo so overall its cheaper than buying it from here. (they have really good combo deals)

Thanks for your help though :)

What do you mean going through us? And i'm from melbourne, where is St mary's?, cheapest quote ive got so far was 480 just for the clutch kit, ive seen it on ebay for 380 but yeah i want a new lightweight flywheel too, hence i recon i'll be getting a heaps better deal going with them.

I changed my clutch anyway yesterday including Nulon 75w-90 box oil and Nulon G70. Box feels much better. Clutch feels much lighter (Exedy HD) but it does feel very "grabby". It might bed in a bit more, but I was hoping for something a little smoother to be honest after all the glowing reviews on the Exedy HD.

Gave her an oil change too, new power steering fluid and a new air filter. Car feels much nicer to drive, picks up quicker and feels smoother.

I'm installing mine next week! hopefully it goes well. I ended up getting an exedy hd kit + lightweight chromoly flywheel and ARP flywheel bolts for $635 delivered!

• 3 months later...

My '05 stivo is starting to crunch when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd in high revs around the 7000-8000rpms range.. Clutch is completely fine though. I'm considering changing the whole gearbox & clutch since I've got my tax return back haha :)

I've read up on the threads here about the clutch master push rod but will that stop the crunching for good? If it will then please recommend an experience mechanic that can readjust.

By the way, any suggestions for a suitable after market gearbox & clutch for a '05 sportivo corolla?

Cheers.

Is it worth to change the gaer box at the same time? Mine one is 10 years gear box orz... thanks

Edited by littleBlacks