Camry MCV36R -1MZ FE V6 alternator replacement

Pva_Glue

HI all,

I have owned my 2004 Camry Grand for about a year now, the car is clean and runs very well until last week, it seems when I turn the key camry is struggling to start.

at first I thought the battery is about to go... so I have check the Battery voltage while running the car and found out that NOT CHARGING. so diagnosed as alternator is not working properly.

so I called Toyota parts and other auto electrician the part cost $235 (ebay) $280 (OEM)~$526 (bosh) + GST.

so I just want to get if anyone have PDF or file on how to change over?

I have watched some other youtube vids that is quite a simple job.

I will post some DIY photos when I do this :)

any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Gluey

Edited by Pva_Glue

Hey mate,

If I'm correct we should have the same alternator but I'm not sure if it is in the same spot?

I got mine fixed not too long ago because it wasn't charging the battery under 1000RPM!

Does your engine look like this:

2004_toyota_camry_picture%20%2817%29.jpg

If so there's 2 main bolts you have to remove and you have to remove the belt from the alternator (but you don't have to take it out completely - just wedge it off from the alternator). Then you have to disconnect everything else.

Now with the bolt it will be complicated and you will need a socket set and a pretty long breaker bar to get both bolts out. Both bolts are located and the back of the alternator in a horizontal position. Unscrew them both and try not to drop the bolts - like me and my mechanic did :)

After that its just a matter of pulling it out after you have disconnected all the wires and the belt. And then just work backwards to put it back in. Dont forget to reset the ECU once you have completed :)

If you have questions PM me I`ll try help you

Should be similar to the procedure fivese7en is talking about

Basically, disconnect negative terminal of battery, take drive belt off(in your case i believe the alternator acts as the tensioner so you have to loosen alternator bolts anyway)

Disconnect any plugs/cables on the alternator and then try and pull it out, it may have to be a case of loosen alternator completely and then work out what needs to be moved/removed to get the alternator off

But overall its fairly simple

THank you fivese7en for your help.

I got my brand NEW alternator today and went to one of my mechanic friend. he said its not the alternator problem. WTF HOW?

the thing is there wasn't any BATT warinning light on the dahs... :(

he did few test of his own.

1. start up the car and tested the voltage of battery it was ~ 13.58 v then turn on the head light and fog lights

2.disconnected (-) charg terminal from the battery.

car runs smoothly... no problem at all.

he said if alternator was not producing any charge then car will simply die as soon as the negative battery cable is unplugged.

so the alternator is working fine (now I have new alternator as paper weight). bugger me!.

he did some other check and think that timinng belt tensioner is on its way out, he can hear some off bearing squealing sounds.. :( TOYOTA dealer quote me $964.00 (150 k's service)

not including water pump or tensioner kit etc..etc.

can someone tell me their experience with the timing belt change?

thank you for the comments guys :)

Edited by Pva_Glue

$950 service?!?! What does it include...... Sounds cheap lol (not)

My 'rents got theirs done recently for $150 and oil change + filter (150k service) on a camry 2000 was a total of $250 or something.

I had an auto sparkie tell me my 01 touring V6 alternator had a problem with the rectifier making a whistling sound. He recommended a new alternator as it was too much trouble or cost to rebuild the one I have. Mine doesn't produce enough voltage to keep the battery fully charged.

I did my own timing belt change. Ordered a 11 piece kit off ebay in california that cost me $240 delivered to my door in Melton. Here the parts were over $600. I didn't do the water pump, as I would have had to remove half the engine to do this. I replaced the bearings that were supplied. After 160000 km the belt was in good condition.