Tyre shine and wheel cleaner

CheekySportivo

Hi Guys,

Just wanting to know which tyre shine and wheel cleaner the majority of owners are using on their Corolla Sportivo wheels or similar ???

Any recommendations for a new Sportivo owner? :P

Also, if anyone has some hints or tips cleaning the factory Sportivo rims with ease will be some handy info for alot of the Stivo owners too! :D

Wheel Cleaner: Soapy water, bucket and sponge. Wheel cleaners might work well but if you've seen a wheel that's had that stuff sprayed on to it for a couple of years you'll stop using immediately. It just eats the paint.

Tyre Shine: I've used ...

Armour All & similar products both spray on and foam type - Nice but collects dirt over time causing tyres to turn brown in sunlight and just doesn't last.

Eagle 1 - Very Shiny but silicone based - makes it splatter everywhere and collects dirt over time again making tyres look brown in sunlight (Even when you actually wash the tyres at the same time as the wheels)

Yuk-Off - Just the best IMHO. Not quite as glossy as some but it cleans at the same time as giving a glossy black sheen so it doesn't collect any dirt and leaves your tyres looking a nice shiny black. Also lasts for a reasonable amount of time too.

where might i find this yuk off? and whats it retail for? for a while my tyres have turned brown and all that and it looks quite unapealing the car itself especially with stock levin rims. i need something to boost the bling factor a lil. :lol:

im pretty sure the few of you that have seen my car know that i need this info, LOL bcoze my tyres cant even be regarded as black :lol:

I use Meguires Hot & Shine for the tyre shine. Large can, around $15-$20. So shiny, it'll make you go blind  B)

Me too, its very easy to apply, but unfortunately if you get the aerosol version, a lot of it goes to waste. If you can get some tyre wipes, then try the Hot Shine in a squirt bottle, goes for around $18. Lasts quite long, maybe 3 weeks depending on weather conditions.

I use Megs Endurance Hi-Gloss as well, it is one of the best. Very very shiny, but very expensive for what it is ($20-22RRP).

I've also tried Turtle Wax Wet Look, which can be found in K-Mart for $8. It's very cheap and delivers a black, slightly shiny, matte look. Doesn't last long, but its so cheap that you can apply it every week, without worrying.

Tyre Shine

I use "5 Star Amazing Tyre Shine"

costs $2.89 a bottle, does about 6 applications (all 4 wheels) and lasts about 3 weeks... spray on

This is also the stuff most places like Bob Jane, Jax Tyres etc use...

It's just a tyre wall, not like paintwork which can fade, crack, streak etc...

Cleaning

covered before, I think the best suggestion to date was hot water and a cloth with an old tooth brush for the hard to reach and tough stains.

where might i find this yuk off? and whats it retail for? for a while my tyres have turned brown and all that and it looks quite unapealing the car itself especially with stock levin rims. i need something to boost the bling factor a lil.  :lol:

im pretty sure the few of you that have seen my car know that i need this info, LOL bcoze my tyres cant even be regarded as black  :lol:

Water Saver ! :D

Autobarn seems to be the only place where I can find yuk-off ( It's a white and orange can with a picture of a volvo on the front! ) and it's about $10 for a can which will last you a good while.

If your tyres are dirty, spray it on, then wipe off with a rag and then spray it on again. ;)

• 1 month later...

As far as tyre shine goes, I use the stuff that you gat from Supercheap or sometimes even Go-Lo/Reject Shop kinda places.

Its called "import tyre shine" $3-$4 a can and does 4-6 applications depending on the profile of your tyres. Doesnt attract dirt and doesnt spin off all over the paint work.

Been using it for years with great results!

As far as tyre shine goes, I use the stuff that you gat from Supercheap or sometimes even Go-Lo/Reject Shop kinda places.

Its called "import tyre shine" $3-$4 a can and does 4-6 applications depending on the profile of your tyres. Doesnt attract dirt and doesnt spin off all over the paint work.

Yep, that stuff goes by numerous names, but works a treat.

I use Meguires Hot & Shine as well. It's in a squeeze bottle like the Meguires Car Wash stuff you can get, which I also use.

I use a small dish washing sponge to apply the tyre gel and apply only once. I get no spin off. Oh, and of course I use the SOFT side and usually find a sponge with no scourer end on it to be safe if I get close to the rims.

I use to apply it twice for a mega shine effect, but too much spin off and tough to remove from the paint.

My method though may also be the reason. I wash the car fully, clean the rims, dry the whole car, then I apply the tyre gel. I leave the car to rest for a while on the drive way, maybe half an hour and take it for a spin. The first km or so I drive real easy, real slow around the local small streets, less than 50km/h.

THEN, I go to the servo and make sure my tyre pressure is all good. I pump my tyres to 38psi. 32 is the standard and 42 is the max when you drive 140km/h and over. So, considering I like to push my car at times in open roads with no traffic or housing I've decided to pump my tyres to 38psi for my style of driving and for a nice drive still around the city at lower speeds.

Yep, that stuff goes by numerous names, but works a treat.

yep... note my post above, currently $1.99 from the Warehouse!!! :)

great stuff...

I have also noticed that it is a water repellant too, and if it gets on the rims, doesn't matter, does not stain and acually puts a protective layer on them too :D

To edit my post, I got the name wrong and am using Meguire's Endurance High Gloss which lasts weeks and is a gel applied to the tyres by using a small sponge. VERY glossy, and as above I describe how I keep it off my paint work.

Aerosol tyre shine????????? You guys are dodgy :o The biggest problem with spray on tyre shine is the amount of it that goes all over your car in thousands of tiny dots of silicon everywhere and all over your wheels.(especially if you have dark or chrome wheels as it's really noticable)

And most of them are not that great at all. I use a tyre shine that i buy in bulk (20L) and it is brushed on with a brush and depending on what you like (super shiny or satin finish) you just buff the excess off with a soft cloth.

That way you get no flick up the side of the car and your tyres look like new all the time. This stuff lasts for about 3-4 weeks and actually helps to keep the tyres clean as well. Meguiars endurance is a retail porduct that's similiar in quality to what i use.

It's the small things like this that help you accumulate points to win trophies at car shows ;)

The pro always know's what best!

So now you've told us the solution can you share with us where to get a hold of some of this stuff! I'm sick of aerosol tyre shine, gets everywhere like you said including inhaling the damn hydrocarbons.... was always aware that the tyre shops get the stuff in bulk and last for ages!

What's it actually called and how much is it? Love to get a hold of some of it....do i need to order it through a distributor and fake being a shop! I'll do it!

chereo

Two beers

Aerosol tyre shine????????? You guys are dodgy :o The biggest problem with spray on tyre shine is the amount of it that goes all over your car in thousands of tiny dots of silicon everywhere and all over your wheels.(especially if you have dark or chrome wheels as it's really noticable)

And most of them are not that great at all. I use a tyre shine that i buy in bulk (20L) and it is brushed on with a brush and depending on what you like (super shiny or satin finish) you just buff the excess off with a soft cloth.

That way you get no flick up the side of the car and your tyres look like new all the time. This stuff lasts for about 3-4 weeks and actually helps to keep the tyres clean as well. Meguiars endurance is a retail porduct that's similiar in quality to what i use.

It's the small things like this that help you accumulate points to win trophies at car shows ;)

• 1 month later...

A cheap alternative for the tight @rses ....

A friend of mine works at Mercedes and told me they use Mr Sheen :o on Tyres interiors etc! :o

Being the sceptic but also willing to try new things I had a can lying around at home, tried it on the Commodore's tyres and bugger me it actually works!

• 4 weeks later...

Thats because mr sheen is also silicone based..... we had a new automatic garage door installed and it was really squeeky... we rang and complained and the guy came out and sprayed the runners with none other than .... MR SHEEN!!!! He was even nice enough to leave the can for future applications... lol :D