More choices

Toyota need to do something - a new Sportivo at least

SNAPPING at the heels of the new-generation VW Golf GTi, the latest version of the Polo GTi will be revealed at the Tokyo motor show in a couple of weeks.

Never previously sold in Australia but believed to be under consideration for local introduction, the hot Polo three-door uses a 1.8-litre turbocharged, five-valve four-cylinder engine to achieve a power output of 110kW, along with 229Nm of torque at 1950rpm.

This is enough to propel it to 100km/h in 8.2 seconds, or about one second behind the manual-transmission version of the new Golf GTi. Quoted average fuel consumption is a miserly 7.8L/100km.

The Polo unashamedly mimics the Audi-like "full-frame" grille of the Golf GTi and will undoubtedly often be mistaken for its bigger sibling on the road.

It also gets Golf-style five-spoke alloy wheels with 205/45 R16 tyres, and a tighter suspension riding 15mm lower than the standard Polo.

Like the Golf GTi, the Polo version acquires VW’s ESP electronic stability control system as well as ABS.

Golf cues can also be found in the red brake calipers, integrated rear roof spoiler and deeper side skirts.

Inside, the Polo GTi is equipped with sports seats in chequered cloth, while the steering wheel (with red stitching), shift lever and handbrake are leather-trimmed. Satin chrome finish features on the centre console and air vents as well as the floor pedals.

As a direct competitor for the likes of Peugeot’s 206 GTi and Renault’s Clio Sport, the Polo GTi could be expected to sell in the mid-$30,000 bracket.

post-305-1129272469_thumb.jpg

The Polo GTi looks heavy? The Golf GTi weighs around 1330kg. Clio Sport or Pug GTi 180 would still have better performance i think. The upside is a nice luxurious and comfortable package, looks good, but doesn't look strong, real performance will probably disappoint anyone after a bullet-proof hatch that you can push to the limits. Would be a great cruiser though, has enough grunt. I think it will be more a competition for the Accord Euro at that price and i know which one i will get -> Jap built, finish, quality, luxurious, sharp looks, fuel econimical due to 0.29cd aero, 140kw, 223nm, sweet 6 speed box, double wishbones all round, larger interior, mid $30k pricetag.. mmm.. the power of dreams :P Now where's the hot hatch Toyota? Maybe a 2zz or turbocharged Yaris from Japan..

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Document this for the historical records....

Azza's prediction is that there will be a either:

Corolla T-Sport

Corolla RunX

Remeber, the advice from Toyota was they are not poroducing any more SPORTIVO's...so keeping with the current trend of renaming cars to either new names or names used OS...

Edited by Azza

Now where's the hot hatch Toyota?  Maybe a 2zz or turbocharged Yaris from Japan..

nah toyota need to bring out the scion.

The Scion has a 2zz already hasn't it? Looks great but it pounds on more weight. Maybe the next hot hatch will debut a new 2litre VVTL-i hi-revving snorter from the Yamaha division :ph34r: got to go head to head with Honda's K20A, 2litre Clio Sport and Pug Gti180 in displacement.

But i think the hottest hatch that will debut soon could be the 180kw Turbocharged AWD Mazda3! Now that's something to think about, looks good, and we all know the Mazda3 is a sporty drive, just lacks outright performance in the engine department. And Mazda has got a huge market, so long as the price is not up there with the Sti and Evo..

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Corolla T-Sport

Corolla RunX

Remeber, the advice from Toyota was they are not poroducing any more SPORTIVO's...so keeping with the current trend of renaming cars to either new names or names used OS...

But Azza isn't the "Sportivo" name Toyota Oz's creation of a performance division, like "HSV" and "FPV" so i don't think they will just drop it. I reckon they will keep the Sportivo name but have a few sporty cars categorised under it, like a Supra Sportivo, MRS Sportivo or Celica Sportivo :blink:

I saw a facelifted 307, the other day at the dealer, and it looks unreal.

Best looking small car on the market without a doubt.

Edit: added a pic.

post-933-1129429168_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geo

Corolla T-Sport

Corolla RunX

Your prediction has been noted, Azza, but I have a prediction of my own:

Yaris T-Sport

Who's to say Toyota isn't planning to drop the VVTLi 1.8 into the new hatch, given the current Rolla is generally considered to be getting a bit long in the tooth?

Plus the fact that Buddha is wise and all-knowing. :P

Corolla T-Sport

Corolla RunX

Your prediction has been noted, Azza, but I have a prediction of my own:

Yaris T-Sport

Who's to say Toyota isn't planning to drop the VVTLi 1.8 into the new hatch, given the current Rolla is generally considered to be getting a bit long in the tooth?

Plus the fact that Buddha is wise and all-knowing. :P

I went to Mazda today and saw the new MX5 and Mazda6 MPS.. i was a little disappointed by the MX5's interior, very plasticky and it didn't make we want to touch anything except the gearshifter. I was expecting much more from a $40k plus car that has been hyped up so much. maybe the driving feel is the real winner. It is also very tight and small (well i drive a roomy corolla :P ) but i am 5 feet 6 and my feet were looking for more room, felt like a Pugeot in there. In comparison the Honda S2000 feels so much better ergonomically. The Mazda6 MPS was locked, i nearly missed it actually because it didn't stand out from the others, only when i got close that i saw the extra bonnet hump and a "6 speed manual" sticker on the windscreen. It didn't look tough and i don't know if its really worth the $40k-$50k.

I kind of drove away from the dealership appreciating my Stivo more :D

Edited by ZEEROLLA

The Toyota Corolla Sportivo will evolve into the Toyota Corolla T-Sport, imported from Thailand (as per Hilux and other various models).  Two models will be offered.  The current model will be the basic model and an upper performance model will be offered to combat the new small hot hatches offered by other manufacturers.

since when did thailand started to make t-sports? or even any coroll hatch? :blink:

The Toyota Corolla Sportivo will evolve into the Toyota Corolla T-Sport, imported from Thailand (as per Hilux and other various models).  Two models will be offered.  The current model will be the basic model and an upper performance model will be offered to combat the new small hot hatches offered by other manufacturers.

Where did u get that info from? Is it a legit source? :unsure:

toyota to bring a 3 tier mid-engined generation

MR2 - light-weight, super charged, 2zz rear wheel drive (T-Sport track pack edition to follow). est $65,000 AUD

MR8 - small capacity high-revving v8 rear drive super sports car to take on the likes of your 911/360. Supercharged track version to be confirmed. est $90,000 - $105,000 AUD

MR10 - Toyota's answer to the Enzo/Zonda. n/a 6L v10 rwd using the latest f1 technologies to celebrate the 17yr v10 era.

ST (Schumacher/Trulli) pack features ultra-light weight forged magnesium 20" wheels coupled with all round carbon brakes. 30ms (to 130ms) gear shifts to 7th through its sequential automatic gearbox. Aluminium/carbon fibre monocoque. wind-tunnel tested to decrease drag. Seamless design incorporates high levels of grip through complex under-car diffuser system. $POA

:) oh, what a feeling

Edited by evo

toyota to bring a 3 tier mid-engined generation

MR2 - light-weight, super charged, 2zz rear wheel drive (T-Sport track pack edition to follow). est $65,000 AUD

MR8 - small capacity high-revving v8 rear drive super sports car to take on the likes of your 911/360. Supercharged track version to be confirmed. est $90,000 - $105,000 AUD

MR10 - Toyota's answer to the Enzo/Zonda. n/a 6L v10 rwd using the latest f1 technologies to celebrate the 17yr v10 era.

ST (Schumacher/Trulli) pack features ultra-light weight forged magnesium 20" wheels coupled with all round carbon brakes. 30ms (to 130ms) gear shifts to 7th through its sequential automatic gearbox. Aluminium/carbon fibre monocoque. wind-tunnel tested to decrease drag. Seamless design incorporates high levels of grip through complex under-car diffuser system. $POA

:) oh, what a feeling

Where did this info come from cause the last I heard was that Toyota was discontinuing the MR2....

MR10 for me please! Would be nice to have my own 19,000rpm screaming V10 F1 like machine as my daily drive :D :P

But seriously, sounds like even the MR2 will be out of reach for me :( Probably worth it if you compare it to the Lotus Exige going for $100,000. And also interestingly Toyota is using superchargers rather than turbochargers in their development of new hi-performance engines. But we still don't know where all these info came from and whether it is legit. I do believe the new sports car will be Mid engined rear wheel drive. There was this spyshot of a MR2 looking car being tested by Toyota not so long ago to develop a similar concept sports car with different engines, so this news is spot on!