Caliper painting

Romp

Here is the list of things you will need to paint your calipers properly:

- Caliper Spray Paint (1 can is more than enough)

- Sand paper

- Degreaser (any will do)

- Masking tape

- Jack (preferably trolley one to save half the time)

- Wrench

- Newspaper

- Old rag

1. Jack up your car and take off your wheel (save half the time with a trolley track)

2. Using your sandpaper, sand the caliper until smooth and clean

3. Take out your can of degreaser and spray it according to the instructions

4. Tape off the area surrounding the caliper and some area in between the caliper to avoid overspray

5. Wrap newspaper around your brake discs and rotars to avoid overspray

6. Spray the caliper in regards to the instructions on the can. Repeat until you've reached your desired colour

7. After touch-free dry, remove tape and newspaper

8. Clean off any overspray

9. Put your wheels back on and jack down your car.

And the end result...

p.s The end result will really depend on how well you tape the surrounding areas of the caliper so make sure you spend the time taping it up properly before spraying.

post-652-1129538175_thumb.jpg

post-652-1129538201_thumb.jpg

post-652-1129538222_thumb.jpg

post-652-1129538246_thumb.jpg

Here is the list of things you will need to paint your calipers properly:

- Caliper Spray Paint (1 can is more than enough)

- Sand paper

- Degreaser (any will do)

- Masking tape

- Jack (preferably trolley one to save half the time)

- Wrench

- Newspaper

- Old rag

1. Jack up your car and take off your wheel (save half the time with a trolley track)

2. Using your sandpaper, sand the caliper until smooth and clean

3. Take out your can of degreaser and spray it according to the instructions

4. Tape off the area surrounding the caliper and some area in between the caliper to avoid overspray

5. Wrap newspaper around your brake discs and rotars to avoid overspray

6. Spray the caliper in regards to the instructions on the can. Repeat until you've reached your desired colour

7. After touch-free dry, remove tape and newspaper

8. Clean off any overspray

9. Put your wheels back on and jack down your car.

And the end result...

p.s The end result will really depend on how well you tape the surround areas of the caliper. So make sure you spend the time taping it up properly before spraying.

stupid question.. what part of the caliper can i spray and what part u cant i spray? i noticed you have left sections untouched on urs...

stupid question.. what part of the caliper can i spray and what part u cant i spray? i noticed you have left sections untouched on urs...

well u can pretty much paint over the areas that i didn't paint as well, but i didn't want to paint them for a more cleaner professional look.

you caliper will be a light greenish/blue colour, so basically cover everything that isn't that colour :)

This topic has been covered once or twice b4.

Try do a search u might b able to find more information on the topic that u r researching on.  B)

hmm well this is the only post in this forum about it ... unless its in a diff forum?

the proper way to paint the calipers is to remove them from the car, dissasemble, clean then paint. It's just that most people aren't equipped or skilled enough to do this so they do the dodgey way of painting the caliper while on the car.

Also, if you use a wire wheel to clean the surface rust and brake dust off, the paint gets a much better key to the metal.

Here's a pic of a set I did on the weekend:

post-148-1129759593_thumb.jpg

the proper way to paint the calipers is to remove them from the car, dissasemble, clean then paint.  It's just that most people aren't equipped or skilled enough to do this so they do the dodgey way of painting the caliper while on the car.

Also, if you use a wire wheel to clean the surface rust and brake dust off, the paint gets a much better key to the metal.

That's right!!

That was how shao and i did ours... ;)

an i must say its the only way to do a proper job!

the proper way to paint the calipers is to remove them from the car, dissasemble, clean then paint.  It's just that most people aren't equipped or skilled enough to do this so they do the dodgey way of painting the caliper while on the car.

That's right!!

That was how shao and i did ours... ;)

an i must say its the only way to do a proper job!

yer i dont think I am skilled enough to do that haha.. u end up with brake fluid issues etc dont u ?

As Jason mentioned' if you are skilled enough' alot of people are daunted by the idea of removing the whole caliper assembly and having to bleed brakes etc.

I made the mistake of just spraying the calipers on the car.......then i ended upo pulling them off the car and redoing at a later stage. I'm glad i did ...it looks 500% beter ;)

As Jason mentioned' if you are skilled enough'  alot of people are daunted by the idea of removing the whole caliper assembly and having to bleed brakes etc.

I made the mistake of just spraying the calipers on the car.......then i ended upo pulling them off the car and redoing at a later stage. I'm glad i did ...it looks 500% beter ;)

yer i rather take the dodgier looking version coz i cant put the caliper back on lol

well it would be great if someone posted a guide on how to do it via the "other" way  :D

ill take pics when i do mine the dodgy way so we have a 2nd perspective

i can make "newbies" guide to painting calipers .. lol probably end up as a guide on how NOT to paint them ahaha

As long as it doesn't turn into a thesis for you guys to do, it'd be great to have a full guide including pics on how to fully remove the calipers and bleed the brakes afterwards.

Once the calipers are off, painting should be a no-brainer, point and shoot right? :P

Just shuffling through Ebay and found something that people might be interested in ...

Quick colour fix for calipers ...

that has got to be some of the best rice I've ever seen :P

Its interesting, actually ... I went searching around the net to find other items of that nature, the one thing I did come across was a post in an Alfa Romeo forum, where someone was saying these covers are made in fibreglass.

As they commented, it'd be interesting to see what the thing does in hot situations, like heavy braking, plus they said it would restrict cooling of the calipers, which would just multiply the problem. :)