Help: Tyre losing pressure

beenet

Hi gurus,

My Ascent has clocked abt 800km's now and it's still pretty new.

After getting the car for abt 2 weeks, I decided to stop by the gas station to have the tyre pressure checked. It was a digital meter at a BP station, so I could see the pressure reading.

The rear right tyre was having 29psi, while the rest of the 3 were having 32psi (which was the right pressure for Corolla). Anyway, I thought maybe the dealer didn't do a good job, so I corrected it..

3 days later, I decided to check again.. and to my surprise -- the rear right tyre was reading 31psi while the rest were still retaining 32psi. I knew something was wrong, I did a thorough visual inspection but couldnt find any nails in it...

My wife did drive the car over a road kerb (at very low speed, she was making a U-turn), but I dont think that's the cause becoz I dont have alloys.. the steel wheels are tough as hell..

What could it be? Did I get a defective tyre from Day 1? Can I do a warranty claim on tyre from Toyota?

Help....

check the valves...

simple test is the apply some saliva (spit) to the top of the valve and see if an air bubble forms, if it does, get a tyre valve tightening tool and tighten and check again. If there is still air, replace the valve as the seal is busted... :)

hope that helps

also get a hand held (analogue dial type) pressure meter as the servo ones are known to show some pretty dramatic variations... The older style ones are actually better then the digital ones too ;)

check the valves...

simple test is the apply some saliva (spit) to the top of the valve and see if an air bubble forms, if it does, get a tyre valve tightening tool and tighten and check again. If there is still air, replace the valve as the seal is busted... :)

hope that helps

also get a hand held (analogue dial type) pressure meter as the servo ones are known to show some pretty dramatic variations... The older style ones are actually better then the digital ones too ;)

Woo! Thhankss!!

*runs straight out to do the spit*

Report later..

my cars on 600km and guess what same thing! its got something to do with the new tyres. And the rise in temperature and the cooling down. the rubber is slowly streching but should soon settle.

its also the weather hot and cold all the time.

my cars on 600km and guess what same thing! its got something to do with the new tyres.  And the rise in temperature and the cooling down. the rubber is slowly streching but should soon settle.

its also the weather hot and cold all the time.

same thing? rear right tyre?

i checked the valve as adviced by blue stivo but found it was okay

take it to a tyre shop and get them to find the problem. my car had a tyre that kept going flat over 2 weeks, i took it to a tyre shop and problem solved. Leave it to the experts. :lol:

My guess is that when your wife hit the gutter that she has inflicted a impound fracture to the side wall where the nylon cords etc in the side wall are fractured and it creates a weak spot in the wall. the tyre seem fine and looks ok but will gradually leak out through the soft spot in the side wall.

This may also happen quickly(tyre goes flat quick) as Sportiv found out when his car was at my house. It went dead flat over night and when stripped off the rim you could see some sort of side wall fracture that was causing the leak. :(

Damm shame as the tyre still had plenty of life left in it. ;)

no to mine it was all 4. it would loose .4 bar of pressure

yer the pressure would vary at different temps .. ur suppose to check ur tyres before u drive around as the heat causes the air to expand. or drive slowly directly to the closest servo .. park it and go eat pay for ur petrol . come back and check ur tyres

yeah

there has been some serious temp changes in sydney. was 33 goodness knows what the road temp would be. i guess around 45.today and then it rains and temp drops to 18.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe there's air coming out of the sides of the wheels. Try taking the tire out and place water around the outer lip of the wheel (both sides of course). If you see bubbles, then that's where the air is rushing out from. This can be solved by using some sort of sealant. Back in the Philippines, we use burnt oil to stop the air from coming out.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, mine's the same. I normally pump it up to 30psi and didn't check it for a month. And when I did the pressure was down to 18psi. :angry:

This wasn't just on one tire, it was on all 5 tires including the spare, which I haven't used. :o

Now I just check it evey week!!!

Maybe there's air coming out of the sides of the wheels. Try taking the tire out and place water around the outer lip of the wheel (both sides of course). If you see bubbles, then that's where the air is rushing out from. This can be solved by using some sort of sealant. Back in the Philippines, we use burnt oil to stop the air from coming out.

Hope this helps.

This is the problem I have now with my ROH rims. They're pourous, which means the air leaks through the rim. I was told by the tire shop that this is a rare factory defect, but you start getting sceptical when you get 4 defective rims from one f**king batch <_<

But yeah, try dumping the whole wheel and tyre (inflated) into a bathtub, or just spray the inside of the rim with a hose, and look for bubbles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

TRY FILLING your tyres with NITROGEN. GO TO JAX, they will do it for $8 per tyre.

I got my tyres done by them.... they're fantastic. you wont have to fill or check them until about 6months.

hi leasaunce....

on the topic of filling your tyres with nitrogen, it means first you have to take all the air out first and then refill the tyres with nitrogen, rite?

and to do it, you'll have to elevate the car, which means the car (and the wheels, of course) would be off the ground, rite?

to my knowledge, once the wheels are off the ground, they are no longer "in-line" which means after filling the tyres with nitrogen, you would then need to redo wheel alignment...you agree?

did you have to redo wheel alignment after filling your tyres with nitrogen?

thanks,

S1LV3R

TRY FILLING your tyres with NITROGEN. GO TO JAX, they will do it for $8 per tyre.

I got my tyres done by them.... they're fantastic. you wont have to fill or check them until about 6months.

hi leasaunce....

on the topic of filling your tyres with nitrogen, it means first you have to take all the air out first and then refill the tyres with nitrogen, rite?

and to do it, you'll have to elevate the car, which means the car (and the wheels, of course) would be off the ground, rite?

to my knowledge, once the wheels are off the ground, they are no longer "in-line" which means after filling the tyres with nitrogen, you would then need to redo wheel alignment...you agree?

did you have to redo wheel alignment after filling your tyres with nitrogen?

thanks,

S1LV3R

if your theory is true mate everytime u go get your car serviced you will need a wheel alignment