Parking brake cable on JVC HU?

SuiCid3

Anyone know what this is?

There's a wire from the loom that you're supposed to connect to the parking brake battery line..

This is on the JVC KD-6105 HU..

Do you need it?

ATM I have left it as it is..

On the paper it says something about if you have the monitor where the driver can see it, connect it to the parking brake battery line, and if you install it where the driver can't see it connect it to the car chassis? :blink:

Ah.. makes sense now..

So what exactly is it? Is it the grounding point for the monitor?

I just installed a pioneer head unit in my car (the 5750) and from my understanding and playing with it the cable connects to the park brake cable. The way it works is that when the Park break is pulled on, it goes to ground, when the park break is off... it obviously isn't. I have my cable hooked up for now... but perhaps a switch might be installed later on...

3 Points and $275 for driving with a VDU visible to driver.

Ah.. makes sense now..

So what exactly is it? Is it the grounding point for the monitor?

I just installed a pioneer head unit in my car (the 5750) and from my understanding and playing with it the cable connects to the park brake cable. The way it works is that when the Park break is pulled on, it goes to ground, when the park break is off... it obviously isn't. I have my cable hooked up for now... but perhaps a switch might be installed later on...

3 Points and $275 for driving with a VDU visible to driver.

Sorry, also forgot to mention... its not so much a 'ground for the monitor' as the monitor still works, it just displays a message indicating that you can't watch a dvd/video/whatever whilst the vehicle is in motion.

your stock head unit does not have hi and low pass filters nor o you have subwoofer controls or an equaliser ..

the sound quality will be pretty ordinary and wont be much point getting a good amp/sub wiht a stock head unit

if u want bass but no clarity then i guess will be fine

TRUE THAT!!!!! In a way the law is a bit silly for example there are some monitor/head units on the market that have an LCD on the outer edge of the monitor to display track info, playing time........etc but then some dont!!! I have the SONY XAV monitor in my car which is now about 2years old and my friend just bought a newer model from KENWOOD touch screen and all......It's very great but it doesnt have an external LCD on the unit so he needs to have it out on display for him to know the relevant info on wat he is listening to or even for the Clock!!!! I have been pulled over b4 by the police and in their exact words they said "Has any other police officer ever asked u about the monitor in your car??".....At this point the monitor out in clear view and was only displaying track time, cd from the stacker that was getting played...etc......They wer'nt sure on wat the exact law was reagrding this??? :blink: They got incontact with a Hyway Patrol unit and ask the officer incharge... He said as long as it was not displaying a "moving" image such as TV,DVD or playstation it was ok in his books since then i have never had another porblem!!! :D

If you get pulled over by cops, quickly switch it to radio or CD mode :P That's what I'd do.

As for the hand brake wire, I didn't even bother with it. I may wanna let the rear passengers watch something (rear headrests) while I'm driving? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

If you get pulled over by cops, quickly switch it to radio or CD mode :P That's what I'd do.

As for the hand brake wire, I didn't even bother with it. I may wanna let the rear passengers watch something (rear headrests) while I'm driving? :blink:

.. or you can do what i did... hook the cable up to your handbrake and install a switch in line with it that grounds it out when turned on so you can have your display on whilst driving. If your switch is in a discreet enough spot and you get pulled over... hit the switch and you are back to normal and the screen won't work with the handbrake disabled and you can prove it ;) Works fine... only issue is with my quick install (only done this arvo) when you hit the switch and ground out the cable coming from your deck... it obviously grounds the handbrake cable also and you get the (!) light on your dash... but i can live with that.

.. or you can do what i did... hook the cable up to your handbrake and install a switch in line with it that grounds it out when turned on so you can have your display on whilst driving. If your switch is in a discreet enough spot and you get pulled over... hit the switch and you are back to normal and the screen won't work with the handbrake disabled and you can prove it ;) Works fine... only issue is with my quick install (only done this arvo) when you hit the switch and ground out the cable coming from your deck... it obviously grounds the handbrake cable also and you get the (!) light on your dash... but i can live with that.

Yo matt, where in the hand break did u connect the wire to? just any metallic part?

And did you have to take out all the plastic bits in the middle to get to it?

Edited by negatron

^ ok. I know a person who got fined because he was watching a DVD in the car, while the engine was on (gear was in "P"), and he was parked on the side of the road. :unsure:

he asked the police why, because he his engine was on..... that is so stupid :angry:

The law is that the driver can't watch moving video while the vehicle is in motion ... that cop has made an illegal call on that one. He may have had no intention of driving, just keeping aircon going or maybe making sure his battery doesn't flatten while watching his DVD.

The Merc I drove a couple of weeks ago had the TV on screen, when the car was stopped, it showed the video, the moment the car moved off again, it switched to the "cannot show this while driving" message, but the audio was audible.

If I was that guy, I'd challenge that fine good and hard.

Yo matt, where in the hand break did u connect the wire to? just any metallic part?

And did you have to take out all the plastic bits in the middle to get to it?

There is a cable that goes into your handbrake... easy way to see it is by lifting the small bit of plastic that resides just underneath the handbrake itself (the really small piece). To run the cable you obviously will need to remove the plastic piece surrounding the gearstick (which is easy enough... unscrew the nob and remove the plastic piece). For me it was easy as my cable coming from the headunit had a handy little clamp type connector that i just had to connect to the handbrake.... then all i done to install the switch was remove a small piece of the sheath off that cable and install attach one side of the switch with the other going to ground (i just used one of the bolts around the gearbox). My switch is hidden away down the side of the centre console to the left of my seat out of sight but easily accessible.

I know thats probably not the best description of it, but if you need pics etc let me know and i'll run down and take some :)