VSC, Traction Control, Check Engine lights all on

xCalibur_

These can be tricky to diagnose, but I do know that if the system has lower than normal voltage, ie, a weak battery, it can start throwing random fault conditions. Start with an electrical system check to avoid shot gunning it. Check alternator charging and battery load. If all checks ok, then move onto the next stage.

A scan can reveal a lot of information, but can be tricky in narrowing down a specific component. An experience technician will be able to help you with this and be careful it doesn't send you down a rabbit hole.

Thank you all for the reply. Just came back from the mechanic. Error code P0354 and C1201 came up. He said the engine seems to be fine in regards to P0354. But C1201 could be a problem. The code has been cleared for now. He said go back and see him if warning lights show up again. Hopefully not any time soon lol.

Have a read of these URLs for those error codes.

https://www.engine-codes.com/c1201_toyota.html

https://www.autocodes.com/p0354_toyota.html

I would be inclined to further check the ignition coil for cylinder 4. Depending upon when the ignition coils and spark plugs were last replaced, this error code could be an indicator to replace them all.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

Have a read of these URLs for those error codes.

https://www.engine-codes.com/c1201_toyota.html

https://www.autocodes.com/p0354_toyota.html

I would be inclined to further check the ignition coil for cylinder 4. Depending upon when the ignition coils and spark plugs were last replaced, this error code could be an indicator to replace them all.

Thanks for the reply. I've just checked the log book. I dont see anything in regards to coils and plugs being replaced. It cost $83.99 for 6 on ebay. I think I should be able to change the coils myself lol.

Yes as ZZT86 said I would have a code scan done it will give you at least the most probable cause of the lights showing on the dash, O2 sensors will trigger them and also a few other sensors so get the scan done and hope it isn't anything too bad mate.

KAA

Update:

The warning lights came back as soon as I started the engine yesterday. The engine had a little rough idle while in parking. But drives fine. On the way back from work while stopping at the lights, the engine had a rough idle again so I drove straight to the mechanic left my car there overnight to get it checked today.

So today he said that one of the ignition coil is gone. Charged me $180 for a bosch ignition coil and $50 labour. Dont know if he scanned to see if C1201 error comes up again after new coil.

Anyway, it seems to be ok for now. But does anyone know if faulty ignition coil will cause check VSC system warning show up or just engine light warning?

TIA!

On 12/6/2022 at 9:35 PM, Vix said:

It cost $83.99 for 6 on ebay.

I'd avoid those cheap chinese coils. They're more trouble then they're worth. You'll find that you'll be changing them out more often than not due to the cheap, rubbish construction and quality. Stick with OEM parts for ultimate quality and reliability.

8 hours ago, Vix said:

Anyway, it seems to be ok for now. But does anyone know if faulty ignition coil will cause check VSC system warning show up or just engine light warning?

It's hard to say exactly as that one indication could reveal a dozen items for potential cause. Fault codes can be deceiving too. It's just not always a black and white solution. Sure, If it states a misfire, then the likely culprit could be the coil, but it also could be an intermittent spark plug issue or an injector that's over fueling. See what I mean ?

Not sure how many kays are your '07 Aurion, but I'd like to ask when you last replaced your spark plugs and your in tank fuel filter. It's also possible your injectors could need a clean too. 

On 12/9/2022 at 5:59 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

It's hard to say exactly as that one indication could reveal a dozen items for potential cause. Fault codes can be deceiving too. It's just not always a black and white solution. Sure, If it states a misfire, then the likely culprit could be the coil, but it also could be an intermittent spark plug issue or an injector that's over fueling. See what I mean ?

Not sure how many kays are your '07 Aurion, but I'd like to ask when you last replaced your spark plugs and your in tank fuel filter. It's also possible your injectors could need a clean too. 

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the reply. Brought the car around 130k km on the clock last year and its near 150k km now. Dont know anything about spark plugs and tank fuel filter replacement as I dont see any records on log book. I think log book recommends to replace spark plugs at 180k.

No warning lights showing up for a few days now.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 10:09 PM, Vix said:

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the reply. Brought the car around 130k km on the clock last year and its near 150k km now. Dont know anything about spark plugs and tank fuel filter replacement as I dont see any records on log book. I think log book recommends to replace spark plugs at 180k.

No warning lights showing up for a few days now.

Cheers!

Hi Vix. Glad you got it sorted. I had this exact same issue, but the engine was still running smoothly. Toyota replaced coil pack 4 (about $300 with the scan I think) and happy days. Mine is also an '07 with about 150k on it. Lucky cylinder 4 is on the front bank.

• 1 month later...

The reason a faulty coil pack / connection between coil pack and spark plug can cause errors with ABS etc is because they produce alot of electromagnetic noise (they step 12v up to 10000+v) which can be coupled onto sensitive signal lines used for sensors which causes the ECU to detect abnormal voltages and disables the system (abs etc). It can seem almost random at certain temperatures/ humidities or vibrations while driving. On different vehicles it can cause different errors to show. For instance on a Honda Jazz the ECU would trigger limp mode with a code "Crank position sensor fault" . The wiring loom to the crank position sensor also had the power and trigger wires for the ignition coils. The electrical noise/spikes from the faulty coil pack was coupled onto the signal wire by electromagnetic induction which caused the ECU to flag the sensor as faulty. Something similar can happen if the battery is aging. The internal resistance increases which basically allows electronic noise to increase and affect electronics expecting a stable low impedance DC source.

Edited by 3wheeldrive
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...