99 Camry V6 Pump/Rack kit overhaul

R31

Bought a nice conquest 190k kms but later found out the previous idiot p plater ran out of fuel and moved the wheel side to side to get as far as he could with no engine power severely wearing the pump (leaking,noisy) and rack mounts to the point of being scary driving around 80-100km country roads with the rack moving all over the place

Quoted to fix

pump $492
rack kit 46
rack boots 50
remove/replace it all 396

Is that pump price a bit over the top to anyone? and is it worth just buying an ebay pump for the age of the car?

1 minute ago, R31 said:

If you go to a mechanic that is about the normal pricing you will pay. They have to buy it off a business who buys it off a wholesaler/manufacturer. Each of those steps, adds their own profit margins and overheads.

Admittedly I missed the piece of your post where you mentioned eBay, but of course eBay will be cheaper.

Hell of an overhead but I get where you're coming from, cheapest from a local auto parts was 310. So the moral is supply your own parts to the mechanic? :mellow:

1 hour ago, R31 said:

Hell of an overhead but I get where you're coming from, cheapest from a local auto parts was 310. So the moral is supply your own parts to the mechanic? :mellow:

I've had mechanics charge more for aftermarket parts (not including labour) than I could get Toyota Genuine parts from a dealer for (and a local dealer too, not Sydney or Japan, and Toyota Aus tend to put fairly hefty markups on their parts)

• Like 1

Some mechanics will be happy to fit parts that you have sourced, but if it is the incorrect part you will have to foot any labour costs associated with that.

Others may not be too keen to fit them.