2009 Aurion blowing smoke on acceleration

On 11/27/2017 at 4:30 PM, campbeam said:

If de sludging there are small filters at the top of the 2 the rocker covers that get blocked easily and are easy to remove and clean. Also remove and clean the oil ports on the inlet solenoids. 

All part of the same issue.

On 11/27/2017 at 4:30 PM, campbeam said:

Hope you have the after photos as well. Useful for your own records as well as the Forum. The big benefit is from thoroughly cleaning the valve cover, particularly the area leading to the PCV valve.

After re-assembly, then next stage will be an oil and filter change.

What I have been doing for many years has been to use diesel as an engine flush. After engine oil is at operating temperature, drain and replace with 5 litres of diesel. then idle engine for approx. 10 minutes then drain. I re-flush the engine using a low cost engine oil which eliminates any residue then use the new oil filter cartridge and new full synthetic engine oil.

Plan for or consider your next oil change interval to be 1000-2500kms then 5000 km oil change intervals in the future.

On 4/19/2023 at 9:35 PM, SJRP said:

If de sludging there are small filters at the top of the 2 the rocker covers that get blocked easily and are easy to remove and clean

I wasn't aware of that. Do you have an image ? What's the point of putting filters in the rocker cover ?

12 hours ago, SJRP said:

So um yeah.... 2 days to clean out the top side...

IMG_20230422_171910.jpg

IMG_20230422_171914.jpg

It's a miracle that engine is still functioning. It looks like when you open the lid off a grease can. 

I cannot fathom a person who would neglect basic maintenance like an oil change to end up with this monstrosity to clean up. The whole idea of preventative maintenance is to negate the ongoing cost of desludging. I don't envy anyone who has to go through this, especially when it's an ongoing procedure. 

On 4/24/2023 at 4:39 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

It's a miracle that engine is still functioning. It looks like when you open the lid off a grease can. 

I cannot fathom a person who would neglect basic maintenance like an oil change to end up with this monstrosity to clean up. The whole idea of preventative maintenance is to negate the ongoing cost of desludging. I don't envy anyone who has to go through this, especially when it's an ongoing procedure. 

Testament for how well designed and built are these 2GR-FE engines.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 2:36 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

I wasn't aware of that. Do you have an image ? What's the point of putting filters in the rocker cover ?

Just on the Video there at about the 2 minute mark, the mechanic removes them. Mine were quiet full of oil sludge. I cleaned them with degreaser, but you could replace.image.png.42fd0c390202121c63ae5d647b45a146.png

On 5/14/2023 at 11:36 AM, SJRP said:

Just on the Video there at about the 2 minute mark, the mechanic removes them. Mine were quiet full of oil sludge. I cleaned them with degreaser, but you could replace.image.png.42fd0c390202121c63ae5d647b45a146.png

I am genuinely surprised about this tiny part. It seems that both the oil control valves for the VVTI systems have them. So one for each bank. It would be safe to say that if the engine was sludged up then for sure you'd have to look to replace these two items or inspect them regularly during the desludging process.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I don't think it's been discussed here before. I could be wrong. How about you Ash ??

I looked it up on the Toyota Partsouq website and the diagram indicates both these as

FILTER, OIL CONTROL VALVE, RH/LH 

16 hours ago, Speedz said:

Cross me fingers this won't happen to my Aurion or Kluger.

I've been doing synthetic oil change every 10k km without fail. 

I'm sure you'll be ok. This is a problem for gunked up, sludgy engines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

both the oil control valves for the VVTI systems have them. So one for each bank.

Those small filters clip onto the end of the banjo bolt for the VVTi oil line. This filters the oil just before it gets to the oil control valves thus preventing any sludge particles affecting their operation. I have only cleaned these filters when the oil lines have had to be removed.

I had some difficulty to not cross thread the banjo bolt of the front oil line when re-assembling after removing the front valve cover. Unfortunately, I found the filter on the ground afterwards so it is in a safe place to be refitted when I next remove the front valve cover.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I change my oil every 5000 kilometres including oil filter, I've need had a problem with oil sludge! Oil very black at 5000 kilometre, I don't know how you let it go to 10000 kilometres.