Which tyre shine product do you use and recommend?

campbeam

I was at SuperCheap this afternoon to collect an online order and decided to have a look at what other tyre shine products are available. I noticed that there is 30% off Meguiars until tomorrow, so thinking about getting a bottle or 2. There are other products also on special so asking the question to find out which other tyre shine/dressing items are worthwhile considering

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/meguiars-meguiars-hot-shine-tyre-spray---710ml/119529.html 

I have previously used and still had 2 aerosol cans of Wet Look Tyre Shine previously purchased at SuperCheap. 1 can was just about empty but still able to treat 2 tyres on one of my"backyard queens". After washing the outside wall of the 2 tyres and letting them dry, it was only a matter of a few minutes to spray the outside tyre wall then see the instant results.  At $5 a can or 3 for $10 on special and convenience of use, I am not complaining. I am sure that the wet look has not lasted on the tyre for more than a few weeks but more than likely I just sprayed it on without washing the tyres first. 
Export Wet Look Tyre Shine - 400g, , scaau_hi-res 

I have the same product Ash..and find if the tyres are well washed first i get about 4-5 weeks normal driving use before they start to go a bit dull and need a fresh coat..for the price and ease of use i love it.. so what goodies did you buy while in Super Cheap seeing all the goodies yelling out to be bought? I stand and listen to my brain grinding over as it ponders Do I need that??..Can i Use that??..always hard to resist sometimes

Keep Well Keep Strong

KAA

I had a look at the SafetyDataSheet for the Export Wet Look Tyre Shine to confirm that it is solvent based,,not water based. My preference is for a water-based product.

I was given a suggestion about this SCA product which was on special this weekend so bought some this morning.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-wet-look-tyre-shine---750ml/209964.html#q=tyre+shine&start=3

It was just as easy to apply as the Export aerosol can and only used a small amount to treat 2 tyres. I did search on the internet for the SDS but could not find it. I am hoping that it will be water-based

Nice tip Ash thanks..and great price as well, see how it wears now you have applied and let us know

Keep Well

KAA

10 hours ago, KAA said:

Nice tip Ash thanks..and great price as well, see how it wears now you have applied and let us know

Keep Well

KAA

The tip came from Tony, so credit is due to him. The SCA products have been applied to the passenger side tyres on a "backyard queen" now a week apart. Will update and post pics later say by end of next month.

Yes thanks to Tony for passing on his OCD, his products and advice, I have enjoyed all the tips,products and gadgets of late..so Thanks Tony and Thanks to you as well Ash you also have proven a wealth of advice and knowledge and also the "Oh I must have that" part of me with your recent posts

We all help each other when we can pass on our expertise and knowledge while we are all being isolated at least we are not feeling alone in this, our love of our cars is only surpassed by our love of our Country and it's people.

Keep Safe

KAA

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, KAA said:

We all help each other when we can pass on our expertise and knowledge while we are all being isolated at least we are not feeling alone in this

Totally agree. This is a mini-project to motivate me and keep me busy on the weekend. I get to see the immediate results, all looks the same to me. Time is the true test.

I did see a YouTube video where he applied 4 different products [1 per wheel} then road tested his vehicle the following day. Promised follow up video has not yet been posted. Maybe his YouTube promotion of his detailing business is keeping him busy.

Currently using this stuff atm - it's pretty good & lasts for 3-4 weeks. Wipe on, let sit for an hour or two then wipe off for a nice matt look.dg253.jpg.82863006f827bb8885b63d7ee31c040d.jpg

Edited by ZZT86
  • Thanks 1

My order from the Detailing Shed arrived this week so planning upon also testing this water based P&S product. Actually, I am more interested in comparing the results against Aerospace 303 which has already been applied to the tyres on my ATX and the girlfriend's Yaris.

Notice the red tape around the lid, nice bit of extra packing effort by the Detailing Shed. Unexpected and very much appreciated.

image.png.e021cf6c6e9791cfd00b15a4ac733776.png 

I used the P&S Shine All product yesterday and treated the tyres on my standby Aurion Prodigy. Although it looks the same as the Aerospace 303, it is thicker like comparing milk [Aerospace] to cream [Shine All]. I gave the Shine All container a good few shakes then filled a spray bottle. initially, I thought that the spray nozzle was partially blocked and used a foam applicator to finish applying the product to the inner tyrewall. Later, I read the back of the container which said that the product could be used directly or diluted. After diluting with distilled water 50/50, it sprayed more easily just like the Aerospace 303. Time will tell whether it performs as well as Aerospace 303 as a tyre dressing. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 11:33 PM, ZZT86 said:

Currently using this stuff atm - it's pretty good & lasts for 3-4 weeks. Wipe on, let sit for an hour or two then wipe off for a nice matt look.dg253.jpg.82863006f827bb8885b63d7ee31c040d.jpg

I've been using this product too ZZT86 ( don't know your name). I still have a bit left actually and rather than getting another bottle I thought I'd try other products. Not that the Duragloss is bad, It's actually an excellent product as are all the Duragloss products, except for one I have to say though, their wheel cleaner leaves a bit to be desired though. That's the only one that will get my criticism. It's a dated product and doesn't work as well as the competitors. For wheels, I use the Nextzett brand.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/colourtec-wheel-cleaner-5l.html

This I like to use after a paint correction

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/polish-bonding-agent-236ml.html
https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/total-performance-polish-473ml.html

Getting back to topic.

I tried this Meguiars product but found to be too messy and greasy. Slings a bit too. Overpriced. I don't recommend it.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/meguiars-meguiars-endurance-tyre-shine-gel---473ml/11427.html

I thought I'd try the SCA brand of tyre shine and was pleasantly surprised. It says "gloss" but in fact it dries to a nice matte to semi gloss, which I prefer. Good value too and sometimes it's on special for $10. Next time I'll grab two. You have to put it on wet so it can absorb into the tyre and once it has it's a no sling finish.

This one.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-wet-look-tyre-shine---750ml/209964.html?cgid=SCA01010403#start=8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am drawing my own testing to a close because testing conditions have changed. Finally got some decent car covers so the tyres on the "backyard queens"are now fully covered up.

My personal preference is the P&S Shine All Product. Still looking just as if applied after 3 weeks with a nice semi gloss look but this is on an undriven vehicle.

Aerospace 303 on my regular driver is still looking fine despite not thoroughly washing the tyres prior to treatment.

Tyres treated with the SCA products are also looking good so it all comes down to the "horses for courses"personal criteria.

My recommendation is to thoroughly scrub down and wash the tyres each and every before applying your Tyre Shine product. Apparently this is to avoid the build up of any trapped dirt and grime which is going to reduce the effectiveness of your product.

If you want cheap and quick to apply and not concerned about being petro-chemical based, then go for either of the SCA products.

21 hours ago, campbeam said:

My recommendation is to thoroughly scrub down and wash the tyres each and every before applying your Tyre Shine product. Apparently this is to avoid the build up of any trapped dirt and grime which is going to reduce the effectiveness of your product.

Exactly. l always do the wheels and tyres first. For best results, I either use a general purpose cleaner or a non acidic wheel cleaner on the wheels and tyres before I even start on the rest of the car. This allows some dwell time while I'm preparing other things like the wash buckets, setting up the pressure cleaner, foam cannon etc. By this time I have my wheel / tyre cleaning bucket filled with suds and all my brushes ready and just go for it.

Tyre dressings for me are a personal choice. I have used a few different types. The ones I like are the ones that last and don't sling all over the paintwork. Those are my main criteria. Cheap products can work as good as expensive products as I have found with the SCA tyre shine. This one really surprised me as I have always thought SCA was cheap and nasty by virtue of it being an in house brand. I was wrong.  It lasts and lasts, even through rain and subsequent washes and doesn't sling. Not too bad for a cheapy. The money I save here, I put toward a high quality paint protection product.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I use Wolfgang black diamond gel

It only lasts a couple weeks, but the main and pretty much only reason that I chose it, is that it claims to be environmentally friendly/safe

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/wolfgang-concours-series/products/wolfgang-black-diamond-tyre-gel-473ml

I've never used the Wolfgang stuff but I know they make top notch products. I can appreciate the price tag too. It reflects proper R&D and even more, they know what concourse owners expect. Their products deliver from the feedback I've read.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:52 PM, campbeam said:

My personal preference is the P&S Shine All Product. Still looking just as if applied after 3 weeks with a nice semi gloss look but this is on an undriven vehicle.

Another 3 months later and the tyres on my "backyard queen" are still looking as if the P&S Shine All had just been applied. 

Tyres on another standby vehicle also looking as if the SCA tyre shine had been recently applied. 

In contrast, the tyres on my driving vehicle look ready for another application of Aerospace 303. Admittedly, if I had been spinning around at 110kph over the past 2 weeks, I would need a freshen up too. 

• Haha 1

Yes I agree traveling our countries highways and byways at speed with dust dirt etc would make me feel worn out and tired and require a refresh, glad you at least got to get away and escape the walls..Both "She Who Must Be Obeyed" and I have been doing short drives to just escape usually to the ocean front which is close by here and many options of places to just sit and soak in the beauty..but we both would love to see family in Queensland and Victoria..however life is way more important and we both will just remain locked in until it is safe to do so. The SCA Tyre Shine I applied about 3 weeks ago now still looks awesome for such a damn cheap price, so for now will use up the 2 cans i still have before investing in something to fill the dusty space on the shelf

Stay Safe

KAA

15 minutes ago, KAA said:

The SCA Tyre Shine I applied about 3 weeks ago now still looks awesome for such a damn cheap price

The other advantage is that it can be quickly applied in a few minutes.

I was thinking about washing the tyres then applying the Aerospace.

Good sleeping weather today so ended up having a morning nap instead. 

• Haha 1

Nice to see the humble SCA wet look tyre shine getting a few mentions.

I gave my Colorado a decent decontamination and wash this morning and finished off with SCA tyre shine after they had dried of course. Mowed the lawn, had a bbq, had lunch, then had a nap, then had a hot shower then went back outside to the car and did the glass with Rain-x cleaner & repellant.

Stood back and thought.. nice...

Tyres are nice and shiny as is the paint and the sealed glass just completes the picture nicely.

Then tomorrow it will rain 😂

• Haha 1

Ahh glad i wasn't the only one who enjoyed a lovely day nap, and hopefully no rain tomorrow as i had planned on another good foam cannon play day..plus have to get the deck cleaned while the Karcher is out, may even get "She Who Must Be Obeyed" to come out and have a date at the coffee shop near by for an escape from the walls so come on SUN stay out..

Keep well guys stay safe

KAA

• 2 months later...

Thought i'd put my two cents in & give a recommendation. Now i personally have tried numerous tyre shines over the years, but since i changed to Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel yonks ago, i haven't looked back, it lasts weeks, protects against tyre browning, etc. Now there's a correct way & incorrect way to apply it, but personally i'm happy with just how long the gloss shine lasts (which is what i personally prefer), will i change ?, probably not.

Strongly recommended considering how little you use too. 

A9438802.jpg

I did use this product some time back and found it to be too greasy and messy. It slings a bit too. Plus side is that it does tend to last but it's too messy for me unfortunately.

The best way to use this product is you have to get the tyre as clean as possible, I mean get all that 'brown' gunk off because as you apply the stuff with the applicator, the applicator will eventually saturate itself with both product and contamination and as you start to push harder on the applicator to get the stuff on, you will see the brown/black greasy ooze drip off. You MUST use disposable gloves when handling this. Your hand will get dirty too.

I think a more fluid product is better for ease of application. Longevity isn't a problem because in my mind, the longer a product lasts, the more dirt it will attract and will require more deep cleaning and then re application anyway. This is why I'm pretty happy with a humble product like SCA tyre shine. Does the job very well for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I did use this product some time back and found it to be too greasy and messy. It slings a bit too. Plus side is that it does tend to last but it's too messy for me unfortunately.

The best way to use this product is you have to get the tyre as clean as possible, I mean get all that 'brown' gunk off because as you apply the stuff with the applicator, the applicator will eventually saturate itself with both product and contamination and as you start to push harder on the applicator to get the stuff on, you will see the brown/black greasy ooze drip off. You MUST use disposable gloves when handling this. Your hand will get dirty too.

I think a more fluid product is better for ease of application. Longevity isn't a problem because in my mind, the longer a product lasts, the more dirt it will attract and will require more deep cleaning and then re application anyway. This is why I'm pretty happy with a humble product like SCA tyre shine. Does the job very well for me.

Hence why there's a correct way, at first i applied alot more than i needed, now i literally use a 5c amount & rub it into the tyre until it basically settles, hardly get fling off from it. It is messy but it lasts weeks so it's a minor trade off haha !

I use paper towel folded & folded, then simply throw it away. X amount of pieces per wheel. Works a trick.

• Like 1