Toyota Aurion Ignition Coils

campbeam

This price is just too good to believe. I have ordered 2 lots. When they arrive, I will certainly temporarily fit them to the front engine bank to test them.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Pack-Ignition-Coil-Spark-Plug-for2005-2007-Ford-Freestyles-All-Sub-Models-3-0L/353063630460?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Thanks 1

Man that is cheap. I thought when it said "each" I thought it was for one, but it's actually for 6.

Wonder how good the quality is though. Either way, good for spares when you really need one in a hurry.

• Like 1

Coils arrived today. A quick check revealed that these coils are not going to fit the Aurion. THe connection is incoorect only having 2 prongs instead of the required 4 prongs.

I have requested a return of the items. Seller has since amended the listing so it now shows no mention in the heading of also fit Toyota Aurion.

GRRRRRRR!!!!! I hate when that happens Ash..I did look today at the link and didn't see Aurion mentioned so got me wondering so thanks for this post so I didn't fall for it, so very misleading when you bought mate..hope a full refund comes your way and a full apology as wel,l as there is nothing worse than seeing what appears a bargain and then find it not to be as advertised

Bummer

Keep Well

KAA

5 hours ago, KAA said:

not to be as advertised

Yep. Very frustrating indeed. The good thing with ebay is the buyer protection platform. If there wasn't any, then it would be a free for all and all the scammers in the world will come out and play. Sometimes mistakes happen and thankfully there is a methodical approach to rectifying the situation.

Hopefully Ash, you'll be able to find the ones you're looking for mate. :thumbsup:

Latest good news is that the seller has accepted the return. I am waiting for the return postage label to arrive.

Bad news is that there are still listings on eBay incorrectly stating that coils for Ford and Mazda will also fit the Aurion. I did manage to see one photo on a listing where you can see the 2 pins in the connector. There needs to be 4 pins in the connector.

Lesson learnt here is that if it does not look like the original coil then do not buy and keep looking elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

Bad news is that there are still listings on eBay incorrectly stating that coils for Ford and Mazda will also fit the Aurion

This all the ammo you need when requesting a return. The seller will have no choice because this comes under "Not as Described" and ebay can step in anytime if the seller wants to play the silly bugger routine. It's just an inconvenience to the buyer. You have to repack, drive down to the post office and post. Time and money wasted when the seller should advertise his items correctly. 

I was looking at coils today as a matter of interest and the prices are shockingly expensive especially the Bosch ones. The cheapest I found was around $90 each and the more expensive were in the region of $190 plus region. So you can spend up to $900 for OEM quality coils. Wow ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It's just an inconvenience to the buyer. You have to repack, drive down to the post office and post. Time and money wasted when the seller should advertise his items correctly.

Exactly my thoughts. Now you know why I initially thought that I was onto a great find at that price and a 5 year warranty. 

I have previously bought [Nov. 2018] ignition coils for the Aurion with a Lifetime Warranty from this USA seller. Fitted them and new Denso spark plugs 24.11.2018 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6PCS-Ignition-Coil-For-Toyota-Camry-Avalon-Rav4-Lexus-RX350-ES350-3-5L-UF487/131133586608?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Thanks 1

6 Ignition coils for around $150 with lifetime warranty ! That's incredible really. How then do the Bosch people justify over $200 and sometimes $290 EACH ??

This guy is even offering lifetime warranty. That has to be good especially for the locals, but for us we'd have to ship back the faulty item before a replacement can be issued I'm guessing.

Or, you can plead your case via digital media to prove the item is faulty and save the wastage on shipping back only to have the item binned at your expense.

Or, you can buy 2 sets and you'd be pretty much covered for life lol..

According,to Carbole registered trademark of the ignition coil manufacture, they offer different warranties of 1 year, 5 year and Lifetime depending upon the quality of materials used. Unfortunately, they did not specify define Lifetime but I would expect say 10 years / 200,000 kms of use for a quality ignition coil before needing to be replaced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warranty#Lifetime_warranty

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6X-UF487-Ignition-Coil-on-Plug-Pack-For-Toyota-RAV4-VARIOUS-VEHICLES-2-5-3-5L-V6/122312790670?hash=item1c7a69128e:g:EJwAAOSwrlddFesA 

Good info Ash, and good to hear they are repaying you..I hope the fact that there are still listings out there with the same claim wont suck others into the same issue you had..speaking to my mechanic the other day  (as he lives down the road from me) he said most good quality coil packs will for sure give you approx 10-15 years of reliable performance on Aurion engines..quality is always the answer in just about anything these days

Keep Well 

KAA

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KAA said:

quality is always the answer in just about anything these days

This is the key I agree totally. Sometimes the more you pay upfront, the less it will cost in the long run. You might go through 5 sets of cheap compared to one set of good. Buy good and be done with it. I suspect anything that comes from China will be rubbish and will fail prematurely or give you intermittent issues. U.S.A  or Euro made is my preferred option seeing we don't make anything here anymore...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Sometimes the more you pay upfront, the less it will cost in the long run.

It takes a fair bit of time and effort to replace the ignition coils and spark plugs on the rear bank of the V6 in a FWD vehicle i.e. Aurion. Front bank is readily accessible and is done in a number of minutes. Rear bank takes an hour or 2 due to disassembly to get access. Imagine having to do that every 2 years instead of 5-7 years and paying a mechanic.

This is why you select the best quality at the most affordable price for both ignition coils and spark plugs. You then have some degree of control over whether to replace earlier for peak performance or recommended replacement interval instead of an immediate repair to fix a CEL.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, campbeam said:

It takes a fair bit of time and effort to replace the ignition coils and spark plugs on the rear bank of the V6 in a FWD

I have heard the horror stories and I'm dreading having to do this at some point. I'm not deterred by it as I don't mind the occasional challenge.

So how long are the original coils lasting ?  

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

So how long are the original coils lasting ?  

I have just replaced an original coil on my Dec.2008 Prodigy with 109K on the odometer + occasional weekend idling time for about 2 years. I am assuming that there were original coils in my Oct.2006 Aurion ATX when I bought it with 160K on the odometer then replaced them at approx.195K.

Wow, 109K isn't all that much that it could warrant a replacement. I am surprised actually. I wonder if they used the same coils on the 50 as they did on the 40. I wouldn't have a clue.

They may have improved them, who knows :g:

5 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Wow, 109K isn't all that much that it could warrant a replacement. I am surprised actually. I wonder if they used the same coils on the 50 as they did on the 40. I wouldn't have a clue.

They may have improved them, who knows :g:

After one of the coils failed on the girlfriend's Yaris, I looked at the spark plugs,  immediately re-gapped them, then replaced them ASAP.

I found out later on an internet post that too wide spark plug gaps can be a cause of the ignition coil failing.

I was intending to check the spark plug gap. Your question reminded me so I christened the new 3/8" socket set. Spark plug was good approx. 1.03mm and the tip colour was brown, normal. 

Part numbers have changed over the years. I would expect that the ignition coils would have improved with ongoing product development. 

All finalised with that eBay transaction. Coils were returned Thursday 21.05.2020 and I received a refund much quicker than expected.

After some more searching on eBay, ended up buying another set with Lifetime warranty from the same USA seller that I purchased from in 2018. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Ignition-Coils-Replacement-for-Camry-Rav4-Avalon-Lexus-RX350-ES350-3-5L-UF487/131133586608

• Like 1

Good to hear the transaction went smoothly Ash. There's nothing more frustrating when things don't work out due to seller misinformation.

I had a look at those coils and the price is extremely cheap for a 6 pack too !. You think they're made in the U.S or China ?

Lifetime warranty is great but I guess this runs out if the company goes boom.

I'd be interested to hear your review when they arrive.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 5:28 PM, campbeam said:

I have previously bought [Nov. 2018] ignition coils for the Aurion with a Lifetime Warranty from this USA seller. Fitted them and new Denso spark plugs 24.11.2018 

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I had a look at those coils and the price is extremely cheap for a 6 pack too !. You think they're made in the U.S or China ?

Lifetime warranty is great but I guess this runs out if the company goes boom.

I'd be interested to hear your review when they arrive.

There are cheaper sets available on eBay but only come with a 1 year warranty. As the girlfriend says "not for me".

I am expecting that these coils being offered with a lifetime warranty have been constructed with quality materials and the expected lifespan of the part will occur. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/14/how-long-does-an-ignition-coil-last/

Seeing that the listing did not state Made in USA or mention a specific trademark name, I will assume that they are manufactured in China and quality controlled.  

As you have asked, I will check them when they arrive and confirm that they are performing to expectations. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

BUMP

What is everyone doing about ignition coils? I just had a set of spark plugs replaced with denso IKH20TT - it was throwing up an error which the auto electrician said was spark plugs. Car is 2008 Aurion and has done 180,000kms. Mechanic said the ignition coils are at 70% (or down to 70%??). Would you switch them out now, or wait until problems arise?

The other thing is cost. Ebay has a no-name set of 6 for $140 vs $200+ each (well north of $1k). Has anyone got feedback on how good the cheap set is?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, oldcruiser said:

Mechanic said the ignition coils are at 70% (or down to 70%??).

70% down ?? That's hilarious. How did he arrive at that assumption ? I love some of these diagnosis theories. 🤣

Coils either work or they don't. There is no in between. Have you ever been zapped with 40,000V ? It's not pleasant I can attest to that lol.. While checking for spark on my other car,  I found out it was working.. the hard way 😁

What is everyone doing about ignition coils?

I've been browsing Ebay myself for some time looking to get myself a spare set as I know the time will come at some point and I'd like to have them in my possession ready to swap out in case the car protests on a Sunday for example. I need the car in tip top shape so wifey can take our boy to school and she to work.

I haven't purchased anything as yet, so I'm kind of in the same boat as you Rodney. I have had friends who replaced their coils with those "cheaper" Chinese ones and they've had a hit and miss affair. Out of 6 coils purchased, 2 were faulty out of the box, so that doesn't inspire confidence with respect to quality control from said manufacturer.

The other thing is cost. Ebay has a no-name set of 6 for $140 vs $200+ each (well north of $1k). Has anyone got feedback on how good the cheap set is?

If money was no object, I opt for the best quality, obviously, but not many of us would like to slap down 1k+ for ignition coils. It's a huge whack and I'm not sure they have to be so expensive. I think somewhere in the middle would be a reasonable sum to pay so I prepared a short list of potential candidates.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-x-Brand-New-Ignition-Coils-for-Toyota-Aurion-Kluger-Rav4-Lexus-350-450-3-5L/162751227635?fits=Model%3AAurion|Make%3AToyota&hash=item25e4baa6f3:g:uH4AAOSwBkRaCRwx:sc:AU_RegularParcelWithTrackingAndSignature!2148!AU!-1&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Pack-Ignition-Coil-for-Toyota-Aurion-Estima-Kluger-Rav-4-Tarago-3-5L-V6-2GR/224025076519?fits=Model%3AAurion|Make%3AToyota&hash=item3428ef6327:g:N8wAAOSwRNdezg82:sc:AU_ExpressDelivery!2148!AU!-1

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ignition-coil-for-Toyota-GSV40-GSV50-AURION-3-5L-06-on-2GRFE-Denso-2-Yr-Wty/174235271248?fits=Model%3AAurion|Make%3AToyota&hash=item28913b4050:g:BQcAAOSwMQ5e6Zo7:sc:AU_RegularParcelWithTrackingAndSignature!2148!AU!-1

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NGK-Ignition-Coil-FOR-TOYOTA-AURION-GSV4-U5076/382724299227?fits=Model%3AAurion|Make%3AToyota&epid=13019700195&hash=item591c2559db:g:3QoAAOSwwnNd-Vtz:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!2148!AU!-1

In the end it's up to you. For me I'd probably avoid the cheap Chinese made ones and pick something with a little bit more pedigree for peace of mind.

One of the links above is for 100% Australian. I'd be more inclined to support local industry than CCP anyday.

• Like 1

I ended up buying another set of ignition coils in May 2020 from the same USA seller that I used back in 2018.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Ignition-Coils-Replacement-for-Camry-Rav4-Avalon-Lexus-RX350-ES350-3-5L-UF487/131133586608?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Delivery would have taken a few weeks and they are still in my spares box.

5 hours ago, oldcruiser said:

BUMP

What is everyone doing about ignition coils? I just had a set of spark plugs replaced with denso IKH20TT - it was throwing up an error which the auto electrician said was spark plugs. Car is 2008 Aurion and has done 180,000kms. Mechanic said the ignition coils are at 70% (or down to 70%??). Would you switch them out now, or wait until problems arise?

Thanks!

Only reason I replaced my ignition coils was because of the time and effort to replace the spark plugs on the rear bank of the V6. I have a spare set [proven quality from a well established eBay seller] on standby waiting for a check engine light, poor fuel economy etc. Certainly hoping not to be using them for quite some time.

My suggestion would be to play a waiting game. Definitely consider replacing the ignition coils when you next replace the spark plugs which is probably 100K kms.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

70% down ?? That's hilarious. How did he arrive at that assumption ? I love some of these diagnosis theories. 🤣

Coils either work or they don't. There is no in between. Have you ever been zapped with 40,000V ? It's not pleasant I can attest to that lol.. While checking for spark on my other car,  I found out it was working.. the hard way 😁

I've been browsing Ebay myself for some time looking to get myself a spare set as I know the time will come at some point and I'd like to have them in my possession ready to swap out in case the car protests on a Sunday for example. I need the car in tip top shape so wifey can take our boy to school and she to work.

I haven't purchased anything as yet, so I'm kind of in the same boat as you Rodney. I have had friends who replaced their coils with those "cheaper" Chinese ones and they've had a hit and miss affair. Out of 6 coils purchased, 2 were faulty out of the box, so that doesn't inspire confidence with respect to quality control from said manufacturer.

If money was no object, I opt for the best quality, obviously, but not many of us would like to slap down 1k+ for ignition coils. It's a huge whack and I'm not sure they have to be so expensive. I think somewhere in the middle would be a reasonable sum to pay so I prepared a short list of potential candidates.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-x-Brand-New-Ignition-Coils-for-Toyota-Aurion-Kluger-Rav4-Lexus-350-450-3-5L/162751227635?fits=Model%3AAurion|Make%3AToyota&hash=item25e4baa6f3:g:uH4AAOSwBkRaCRwx:sc:AU_RegularParcelWithTrackingAndSignature!2148!AU!-1&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Pack-Ignition-Coil-for-Toyota-Aurion-Estima-Kluger-Rav-4-Tarago-3-5L-V6-2GR/224025076519?fits=Model%3AAurion|Make%3AToyota&hash=item3428ef6327:g:N8wAAOSwRNdezg82:sc:AU_ExpressDelivery!2148!AU!-1

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ignition-coil-for-Toyota-GSV40-GSV50-AURION-3-5L-06-on-2GRFE-Denso-2-Yr-Wty/174235271248?fits=Model%3AAurion|Make%3AToyota&hash=item28913b4050:g:BQcAAOSwMQ5e6Zo7:sc:AU_RegularParcelWithTrackingAndSignature!2148!AU!-1

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NGK-Ignition-Coil-FOR-TOYOTA-AURION-GSV4-U5076/382724299227?fits=Model%3AAurion|Make%3AToyota&epid=13019700195&hash=item591c2559db:g:3QoAAOSwwnNd-Vtz:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!2148!AU!-1

In the end it's up to you. For me I'd probably avoid the cheap Chinese made ones and pick something with a little bit more pedigree for peace of mind.

One of the links above is for 100% Australian. I'd be more inclined to support local industry than CCP anyday.

Whilst I don't for a second doubt the stupidity of the 70% down claim

As a former car mechanic I know that a car can have "weak spark" which is more noticeable under load.

So whilst a coil pack either works or it doesn't in some respects, if a car is for example "pinging" under load I would check the coil packs since "under load" is when "weak spark" can occur.

Just my 5 cents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Novicebutnice said:

As a former car mechanic I know that a car can have "weak spark" which is more noticeable under load.

I think a weak spark could also be a tired plug perhaps or even one that's not gapped correctly too. Carbon fouling can be an issue I suspect also.

I experienced pinging from bad fuel, or "expired" fuel where the octane has plummeted and no longer burns efficiently. Not the Aurion, but my M3. I forgot to ad stabil to the fuel tank when I started driving it less and less and the same 3/4 tank of fuel I had in it had aged a couple of years until the fuel pump decided to pack up. I drained the fuel tank, replaced the fuel delivery unit, flushed the fuel lines, replaced fuel filter and it's very happy now. I've since added Stabil and it's been fine since.

• Like 1