how BIG is yours

hey all i wanted to know what size throttle body the corolla sportivo has, face lift and pre-facelift. cause i got my cai on my facelift and had to get an adapter for it because the pipe was 2.75" and my throttle body was 3". from the pics of ppls engine bays it looks like u all just used a straight pipe, no adapters. Is it that my piping is too small? or i might be blessed with a over size throttle body :P

different CAI's cope with the 3' to 2.75' problem in different ways

TRD has a bent elbow with a gradual reduction

Injen was a straight rubber join but the CAI has a bevelled lip so there is no reduction needed on the join

AEM has a straight join and the reduction incorporated in that

I believe CES is a 3' pipe

Shift performance I do not know the join design so I cannot help with that one

hey all i wanted to know what size throttle body the corolla sportivo has, face lift and pre-facelift. cause i got my cai on my facelift and had to get an adapter for it because the pipe was 2.75" and my throttle body was 3". from the pics of ppls engine bays it looks like u all just used a straight pipe, no adapters. Is it that my piping is too small? or i might be blessed with a over size throttle body :P

This one has got me thinking.

Why, if your looking for all out performance (which toyota obviously aren't) would you feed a 3" T/B with anything less than a 3" intake?

I know when I had my VY SS ute it was basically "bigger is better" but I haven't had a great deal of experience with smaller engines, so I'm keen to find out why everyone would make intakes that are smaller in diameter than the T/B?

I'm guessing the T/B's are all the same, I wouldn't think the cardigan boys at Toyota would spend money refining a 1.8l engine that produces 141kw already.

Edited by -JC-

Because the MAF Sensor was set to scan the internal diameter of 2.75 diameter of the intake piping.

Any changes to the overall diameter of the pipe will ruin the MAF reading. Unless somehow we can fit in a MAF sensor that reads 3' to be the normal size intake.

Because the MAF Sensor was set to scan the internal diameter of 2.75 diameter of the intake piping.

Any changes to the overall diameter of the pipe will ruin the MAF reading. Unless somehow we can fit in a MAF sensor that reads 3' to be the normal size intake.

Cheers Danz, that makes perfect sense, when I put the monster intake pipe on the Ute we actually threw the MAF in the bin and tuned it via the MAP sensor, so that would be why I didn't have an issue.

Cheers mate

JC

You can get away with a full 3" pipe but it requires more than just the straight section. Needs a proper airflow straightener as used on VW and Nissan MAF's. We will just have to wait and see if Northy passes on the information obtained from me to the company that had to reduce your CAI to 2.75" at the MAF...

MMM interesting wonder who it is... :o

i heard 55-60mm is good

dunno what that is in inches? or if im totally wrong lol

for the 1zz, it seems 60mm is optimum.

that's also the size that techno-pro spirits use on the complete TB assembly that they sell for the 1zz