Axle Tramp Problem

mtbrider

I seem to be getting a fair bit of axle tramp these days even with a moderately fast take off.

Could it be:

1. Tyres are getting near the end of their useful life so are they just letting go now and not gripping especially with a bit of drizzle on the road

2. Crappp roads in Brissy all seem to have corragations in them especially at stop lights - from all the buses I think. Also with the drought the oil and crappp on the road is bad (especially when a bit wet)

3. My s**te driving - but it hasn't happened in the last couple of years of driving it so probably not that

4. Something else wrong with the car - engine mounts loose or something.

What do you think could be wrong it is p' ing me off at the moment.

Edited by mtbrider

when you're trying to lauch or accelerate hard and one tyre is skipping on the road making a harsh thumping/knocking noise and movement through the car. I get this in my Golf GTI with worn shocks a lot, I even experienced it in my old SSS when it was brand new.

I also got it in my chaser at the drags when it had the old worn shocks in the rear and crappy tyres.

i get it when i launch stupidly hard.... but proper launches.... no tramping... :)

Ohhhhh yeah yeah I get that here and there lol. BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

More so around some corners, esp ones that have pitted areas in the road. Uneveness in the road causes it as well doens't it?

when you're trying to lauch or accelerate hard and one tyre is skipping on the road making a harsh thumping/knocking noise and movement through the car. I get this in my Golf GTI with worn shocks a lot, I even experienced it in my old SSS when it was brand new.

I also got it in my chaser at the drags when it had the old worn shocks in the rear and crappy tyres.

So one tyre is skipping and the other is gripping normal? or both tyre is skipping..??

So one tyre is skipping and the other is gripping normal? or both tyre is skipping..??

I would say both tires skipping would be more common...assuming you are going in a straight line, this problem seems to be more prone with crappy tires and crappy shocks. My 1zz used to get this problem pretty bad (even on moderate launch :( ) but since getting some half decent tires, it hasnt been a problem, even when the car does break traction it doesnt skip and bounce around and i am still on half broken stock shocks. Getting skipping while hard cornering is not really axle tramp, it is just your crappy tires breaking traction and your suspension not being able to deal with it :P

i used to get this quite bad untill i did the engine mounts and got the coilovers installed..

How does engine mount affect axle tramp problem?

Loose engine mounts means the engine moves around more, and if your engine is heavy in a lightish car (eg stivo) it can unbalance the solidity in the front end of the car by putting obscure strain on the shocks. Because the 1zz is a substantially lighter engine and transmission (some 150kg?) i don't think this is so much of a source of axel tramp - better rubber and shocks should see it eliminated entirely.

i used to get this quite bad untill i did the engine mounts and got the coilovers installed..

How does engine mount affect axle tramp problem?

Loose engine mounts means the engine moves around more, and if your engine is heavy in a lightish car (eg stivo) it can unbalance the solidity in the front end of the car by putting obscure strain on the shocks. Because the 1zz is a substantially lighter engine and transmission (some 150kg?) i don't think this is so much of a source of axel tramp - better rubber and shocks should see it eliminated entirely.

Don't drive a corolla, but I'll second this none the less.

I just put super strong mounts with 95 Durometer Urithane bushings in my 323 protege... axle tramp is a thing of the passed...

The stock rubber ones allowed way too much movement which plays on balance etc... that same freeplay is why the front rubber bushing was torn and almost unusable. New mounts allow absolutely no movement of the engine that I can detect...makes the rest of the car shake like crazy, but traction is far better, and powering out of corners doesn't cause the bad tramp I had.

So yeh, mounts affect axle tramp in a big way.....

Engine mounts do have a bad effect on axle tramp (that's why I put it in as a suggestion) . I know from past experience with a Vitara I owned it was like that from new. They did not tighten them up at the factory and once done problem gone.

I'm leaning more towards the tyres being on the way out . Although its a 03 Stivo its still in early 30K's so shocks should still be OK.

I'll try the tyre replacement 1st.

Engine mounts do have a bad effect on axle tramp (that's why I put it in as a suggestion) . I know from past experience with a Vitara I owned it was like that from new. They did not tighten them up at the factory and once done problem gone.

I'm leaning more towards the tyres being on the way out . Although its a 03 Stivo its still in early 30K's so shocks should still be OK.

I'll try the tyre replacement 1st.

zze rollas made in places outside japan have been known to have had shock absorbers fail and leak badly within 10,000km of ownership. and it wasn't just a once off incident i know of :blink:

just have a quick check of the shocks if u haven't done so already :)

zze rollas made in places outside japan have been known to have had shock absorbers fail and leak badly within 10,000km of ownership. and it wasn't just a once off incident i know of :blink:

I thought that was only if you changed the springs (lowered). Thanks I will check. What am I looking for by the way.

Oil leak. Bounce it and see if not normal ????

I thought that was only if you changed the springs (lowered). Thanks I will check. What am I looking for by the way.

yep oil leaks down the side of the shocks, i can think of more people then i have fingers that have had the shocks replaced under warranty...

nah stock as chicken soup rides man. but yeah, it's best to get under the car and have a look.