Refilling Coolant

please don't use tap water this can cause corrison. i would suggest you go out and buy some distilled water and top it up with that, that is of course if it only that you need to top up, if it's a fair bit go and get some coolant, use genuine or red coolant. if you get geniune toyota coolant you will need to mix that with distilled water also. 1:1 ratio.

if you get the Toyota LLC, mix it with distilled water a slightly weaker than 1:1 ratio, if it's mixed too strong it has been known to cause premature waterpump failure. It's really good stuff though.

if you get the Toyota LLC, mix it with distilled water a slightly weaker than 1:1 ratio, if it's mixed too strong it has been known to cause premature waterpump failure. It's really good stuff though.

I will get some distilled water first...(just top up) :P (But I saw everybody adding water in the pertol station???)

Supercheap sell it, about $2 for 5L from memory...

The people filling their cooling systems with normal water have never looked at the water galleries after a year to see the corrosion.

Toyota long life red... can be purchased from Toyota

hey dylan,

so what makes the toyota red coolant better than the rest?

im all new to the coolant part of the stivo!

oh, and can u buy it from like toyota spare parts dealerships?

cheers mate

Rollamods is the best person to talk to about it as he has quite a lot of experience with different engines on various coolants. Basically the Toyota long life reduces corrosion long term. There are also issues of precipitation forming in the coolant if you mix different types which blocks the radiator up.

Also by using the Toyota coolant, if there is a problem with the radiator, you can argue that you did everything in your ability to operate the vehicle to manufacturer's specs.

Using non-Toyota coolant means that if your engine overheats, TMC can say that the coolant you used did not meet their requirements and could argue that this caused the probs.

IMO - stay genuine while it has an affect on your warranty....others opinions may vary though...

I just had my water pump replaced last week (along with a fan belt) and cost me <$500 for parts and labour. The car was serviced at the dealership at 90000kms and 2500km's later i noticed my coolant resevoir was empty. The car wasn't overheating, but i didn't like the idea of driving around with no coolant being pumped...

They argued that the pump would've failed after the service even though it was only 2500km's later...

Anyway, it was considered wear and tear so even though i had taken my car to them everytime, and used genuine toyota coolant i still ended up with the whopping bill :(

My car's out of warranty, so i'm curious to know if it would've been covered. Even still, it's the labour that killed me.

you drove your car for 2500km without checking the water? :blink: how bout oil? :huh:

Well I wouldn't think it necessary to check coolants and oils 2500km's after a service...

The temp gauge was perfectly fine and the only reason I bothered to check was because I noticed an "off smell" similar to a burnt clutch or hot tyres. Oil was fine too. I got lucky by not driving it any longer than I did.

craaapppp... i havent checked these sorts of things for a while...

better do that tomorrow... :huh:

Every week at least check it once, Oil, water, battery, tires...or end up with broke down mate. :lol: Actually, you WILL HAVE TO CHECK AFTER SERVICES with Toyota.

• 6 months later...

hey guys i need help i own a 03 sportivo its done about 30km, i looked in the little collant resevoir and there is nothing in there, nothing at all. but where you open the cap there is some in there i dont know where its getting it from, i bought "Long life corrosion inhibitor anti-boil anti freeze. ive read previous posts saying add half water half coolant, do i just fill the resovoir half way and the other half water what if its not the same coolant? I cant read the instructions on the back because theres all numbers on it

Edited by Rolla_Boy

go to toyota, buy a bottle of their long life coolant, mix per the directions on the back on the bottle, add to the overflow tank.

DO NOT put any other type of coolant into the system, the toyota stuff is the best and if you add a different type to the system you run the risk of clogging your cooling system with crud and corrosion from the chemical reaction that will occur in your engine/radiator.

If for some strange reason you must put a different type of coolant in, drain all the old coolant out, flush the system with clean water a couple of times, then fill it with your desired brand.

Coming into summer and now being in summer, i checked my water every week, only need a little top up but it is so easy to not keep an eye on ur temp, i had a swift gti and my radiator fan blew while i was driving and i was on my way to work and i was busy laughing at merrick and rosso and i smelt a burning smell, looked at temp and it was just under red, pulled over and the fan snapped and the motor was still trying to turn and in turn was burning up, since then my gti was never the same.

Ben