Warranty Renewel

Hey All,

Im in the process of renewing my Manufacturers Warranty on my Sportivo with Toyota and have read their warranty booklet....

I came across the following note...... - What is not covered - Item 7. Any claim where the damage to a covered component was caused by a non-covered component.

This basically means your Cold Air, Air Filters, UNI chips, Exhausts, Extractors so on and so forth....

Now we all now these items have no negative affect on the engine but Toyota and all other Manufacturers will screw you on this item.....

So save your money and dont bother with a false sense of security by renewing your warranty...its not worth the $1,200.00. You could spend that on upgrading your sound system.......

Cheers,

Yeah manufacturers will say anything to get out of doing a warranty repair.

I didnt know Toyota do a Warranty extension. However there $1200 asking price is a bit steep though.

how can you say those components have no negative effect on the motor???

If you were a service manager and an engine came in with the ringlands blow off through detonation and the car had a CAI, exhaust and unichip... Would you give the owner a new motor?

Or in Northy's case, trying to scam a warranty claim by swapping back the stock ECU and getting caught out by Toyota

had a bad incident with my stivo and it wasnt even modded and they wanted to investigate at one point because i had "bitumen" on my tyres so be careful even if your car is stock and you like to fang it occasionally cause if you break something and they want to be tight asses they can really burn you then was it worth the $1200 for that piece of mind?

I aint no expert but having a TRD cold air intake allows cooler air in and possible a greater volume of it....

An exhaust allows quicker escape, however the exhaust gases must flow through the stock exhasut manifold and the stock catalitic convertor.

The Cold air and Exhaust are mearily for improving the sound u get from your car.....

Once u mod the computer, pull the head off and grind and shave stuff then your dicing with trouble and your warranty is void.....

Everything should be treated with in reason.

My main aim in this post is to warn everyone about the fine print when renewing warranties.....And not say that all mods should be warranted!!!!!!

Peace Out

There is no way in hell I would pay $1,200 to extend something which has been nothing but a running joke to Toyota from the word go. I got charged for a new clutch, how much?? $1,600 which I talked down to $1,100 in the end. Why? the warranty issue of the clutch pedal heigh wore the clutch but apparently the fact that I did not take the car in sooner voided the repair and therefore it was my own fault.

They tried to charge me for the synchros and second gear replacement until I went off my nut too. WHat has happened to Toyota, 10 years ago they had the BEST reputation, now they just dont want to know, once they sell a car, they forget about the rest.

Edited by Blade Hunter

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to add my thoughts about Toyota if I may.

I think it also depends on how well you know the staff that work at the dealership. We live up in Brisbane and my dad knows all the important players at a dealership. They won't try to scam him and usually warranty claims are honoured almost everytime. They even give him a 15% discount on services to our cars.

But then again, we havent modded any of our cars since they're all under warranty. It'd be pretty bad risking the warranty to spend more money on the car.

I'll thrash the corolla around every now and then and if anything breaks, I'll let you guys know how well they handle the warranty claim. :P

hehe laterz guys

Steve~

P.S yeah $1200 is a bit steep for extended warranty. Plus by the end of the warranty period, I'd like to mod the corolla ;-)

Edited by azndragon168

If you were a service manager and an engine came in with the ringlands blow off through detonation and the car had a CAI, exhaust and unichip... Would you give the owner a new motor?

Or in Northy's case, trying to scam a warranty claim by swapping back the stock ECU and getting caught out by Toyota

it was there idea to start with, all i did was increase my chances....and for 10K why not give it a go.....

There is no way in hell I would pay $1,200 to extend something which has been nothing but a running joke to Toyota from the word go. I got charged for a new clutch, how much?? $1,600 which I talked down to $1,100 in the end. Why? the warranty issue of the clutch pedal heigh wore the clutch but apparently the fact that I did not take the car in sooner voided the repair and therefore it was my own fault.

They tried to charge me for the synchros and second gear replacement until I went off my nut too. WHat has happened to Toyota, 10 years ago they had the BEST reputation, now they just dont want to know, once they sell a car, they forget about the rest.

i hope toyota is reading this

it was there idea to start with, all i did was increase my chances....and for 10K why not give it a go.....

and besides that you can't tell me that you wouldn't have tried it either Jason :P

I would have used contacts at Toyota Head office to ease the pain ;)

But in saying that, when I had "warranty" items fail on my WRX due to modifications on the car, I footed the bill to get them fixed, didn't even try to put them past Subaru.

Edited by rollamods

Things like CAI and exhausts are not a big deal. I'm under the impression that Toyota know that these items dont do our engines any damage (if installed correctly). I dont think I have ever heard of a case on this forums where any warranty claim has been refused because the above items. I suppose if Toyota agrues with those items you can take them to small claims. Its when you start pulling apart the motor and playing with the ECU thats its a real problem. Plus I believe that they have to prove that that part installed is what actually what caused the damage to the engine.

Hey Northy,

I was just wondering how you got caught out by Toyota. Was it because of these forums or could they prove that the ECU had been swapped. Also, did they put in the new engine then ask questions, or did they investigate and tell you that they refused your claim, and that it would cost you this much if you wanted to fix it.

The basis of the rejection of claims though is that although there is a 99% chance that something like a COld Air Intake will NOT cause any problems, TMC can make the argument that they sold the vehicle with the intended settings for the required purpose, that is the standard intake setup was the engineered device for the vehicle therefore anything else will not run the engine to it's manufacturer's specs.

We all know that a CAI will not r00t your engine, however it is modifying the car from it's original spec with something that is not an approved modification.

At the end of the day though, they (TMC) have to prove that it was that particular mod that caused the fault. If your clutch goes and you have a CAI, they can not be linked, therefore this mod can not be used as a basis for a rejection of a warranty claim.

You will also find that this theory is used for insurance as well.

Oh of course. How silly of us.

Because you know everything, someone at Toyota would have put their job on the line to approve a baseless warranty claim for your: Intake, Exhaust, PFC etc etc equipped toyota that you downshifted and blasted past the rev limiter on?

Can I get some of what your smoking?

my only buy in into this extra warrent issue vs mods is this.

Toyota USA, Japan and many other (i believe Aus soon to be but we will have 2 wait & c) treat TRD modification parts as part of the toyota extra's list .... as long as the dealer installs it then ur mods are covered by new car warrenty as well .... if this is the case that says to me that if other TM orgs accept this then there obviously mustn be any issues with it as TRD parts are developed with the help of toyota ....

Ok so where does this leave other brands of same mods .... well it might be an exact duplicate but at the end of the day there has 2 b a catch if ur going to modify ur car .... in those countries its the fact it must be a TRD ... i mean they even warrent the TRD S/C kit for the 1zz .... which includes a piggyback for tuning and all the other bits n pieces ..... So to say what toyota Aus says about mods is a total cop out

Ok if ur pulling the whole engine apart then i totally agree thats like replacing the CPU & Motherboard in my PC BUT if i buy a IBM computer & go to a IBM distributor and ask them 2 install a IBM specified HD then i would expect for my warrenty 2 continue. Just like if i buy an IBM HD and i install it i would expect my warrenty 2 b voided ..... simple concept that people just cant seem to understand

Because you know everything, someone at Toyota would have put their job on the line to approve a baseless warranty claim for your: Intake, Exhaust, PFC etc etc equipped toyota that you downshifted and blasted past the rev limiter on?

I have access to cost price parts when I need them due to work I have done for people that work high up in toyota, I'm not saying it would be covered under warranty, just that it would cost less than half what Corey paid.

I have access to cost price parts when I need them due to work I have done for people that work high up in toyota, I'm not saying it would be covered under warranty, just that it would cost less than half what Corey paid.

You've gotta admit that $5800 for a brand new engine(rocker cover to sump) is a good price compared to RRP of a shade under 11K. Lucky for me my eyes spotted the bargain through my long list of sooper dooper sneaky peaky contacts :ph34r::ph34r: