Dobinsons Springs.

J@Se

Hi folks,

Was just curious to know if anyone has heard of this brand and whether they are good springs or not.

I was told they manufacture Whiteline springs but not sure if they guy was just pulling my leg or something..Was going to charge btw $520-560 to install them..I thought they are quite pricy...

So what are your thoughts on it?

i have seen dobison springs ads in car magazines. i do not know anyone who has used dobison springs in street cars. perhaps they are good for track?

if you have a budget of $500+ i think you should look at japanese springs like tein. tein recommended retail price is $440. unlike most manufacturers which make a single set of springs for all corolla models tein makes springs specific for hatch, sedan and wagon.

and lovells has been around since 1931.

good luck!

i've heard/experienced them. whiteline and dobinsons are totally seperate.

dobinsons may overtake king springs in the near future.

why? because king springs only make SET suspensions.

whilst with dobinsons, they make them according to what the customer wants...and...if enough distributors say that something needs to be changed with a certain spring, the company actually listens and does something about it. Kings, are too proud and their attitude is.."if you don't like it, don't buy it".

oh..and king springs also get dobinsons to make some springs for them...not all..some. because kings do not have the facilities to make LARGE diametre springs. dobinsons does...which gives them a market advantage.

oh, and they are/should be the same price as kings. dobinsons are the blue/green/aqua colour.

dobinsons is on the road to recovery, the previous managers tried to bankcrupt the company and then try and buy it off the owner. owner finally saw it happening and appointed an administrator..fired all the cons..and hired back all the good ones.

in regards which is better.. a set of dobinsons work and fit better than a set of king springs on a mitsubishi lancer CE. and then some kings work better on others...either way..they're both pretty good. but...if u wnt custom springs..dobinsons can do it. i got my sportivo lowered with kings for $400 and my friend got his lancer vr-x lowered for $400.

umm...anything else? would you like fries with that? *phew*

Thanks guys for the reply...

The boss at the steering and suspension place i went told me about these springs and the reason why they don't deal with King springs is cuz they have an attitude problem as pointed out by xTiGeRx..

I saw the springs..they look alright but then again..a spring looks like all other springs to me..so i dunno what's good or bad..

It's prob cheaper to drive to sydney n get it done since Canberra prices always charge a bit more.. Any of u Sydney boys can recommend a shop to get it fitted for about $400? Tat's prob my budget...unless u can give me an extremelly good reason to spend more then my said budget..

Once again..thanks for the info lads.

Straight Talk Suspension, Blacktown should do it for $400-440...King Springs. Maybe the same price for dobinsons...unfortunately, i didn't ask about dobinsons on the sportivo. Should be the same price i reckon.

Straight Talk Suspension

Mike: (02) 98318825

• 1 month later...

I have shopped around for some springs recently and have been quoted by JAX $400 fitted plus alligned for Kings. They initially wanted $440 but i said i could get cheaper and then they came back with $400. They also said they have K-Mac and Lovells available but would be more expensive. Which of these 3 would you guys reccomend?

k-mac for custom height as they are the only company i have found that will do custom. did jax tell you that k-mac has no off-shelf springs?

as we have seen here the price for king springs varies a lot. what price have you got for king springs? because lovells retail price australia wide is $120 a pair therefore lovells may not be more expensive but k-mac should be because i cannot see king springs retailing more than $165 a pair.

have you thought about whiteline? i see you already have a front strut bar from them.

k-mac for custom height as they are the only company i have found that will do custom. did jax tell you that k-mac has no off-shelf springs?

as we have seen here the price for king springs varies a lot. what price have you got for king springs? because lovells retail price australia wide is $120 a pair therefore lovells may not be more expensive but k-mac should be because i cannot see king springs retailing more than $165 a pair.

have you thought about whiteline? i see you already have a front strut bar from them.

They told me the Kings cost $340 fitted and the 4 wheel allignment costs $60 = $400. With K-Mac they didn't tell me much and only said they could get it for my car, same with Lovells. They said they were unable to locate the current Stivo under the part numbers KTFL 105, KTFL 106 which i gave them, hence recommended me K-Mac and Lovells. I told them not possible because i know of Stivo owners in Sydney with Kings. ANyway, they are still trying to figure out what's going on.

I was also quoted by a place here that has Whiteline products that the Whiteline Springs costs $160 a pair not fitted, which is correct as i checked their website and it is $145 not including 10% GST. That seems pretty expensive considering the set would costs $320 and i still have to pay for fitting and allignment somewhere else.

check out the King Springs website and you'll find the part number there for the low & super low springs.

trust me, you'll find it in the catalogue.

maybe they were too lazy too look.

slack! <_<

i only know of tein that manufactures springs specific for the hatch with zze123 engine.

all other manufacturers (king springs, pedders, lovells) put in their catalogues springs for zze122. springs for zze122 fit into the struts of zze123.

if you look in king springs catalogue they write ae122 (did not update to the new zze code).

i need some help. if you have king springs can you please tell me if the progressive coils at the front struts are at the top or bottom? how do you to tell? progressive coils are the coils that are closely coiled together and there are only two coils.

the progressive coils should be at the top. i know progressive springs do not work in the front but i am looking at a pair of king springs and the progressive coils are at the bottom.

Our Stivos have stiffer shocks compared to the ZZE122 models hence i am a little concerned the aftermarket springs for ZZE122 Corollas may not be the best for the stivos. Anyone here had Tein Springs fitted and how much was it?

Zee

is there a test you can do at home to approximately see how stiff the shocker is?

sitting at home i have suspension (strut and shocker) from zze122 and also suspension from zze123.

the strut size is identical. the shocker rod height is also identical. both suspension is made in south africa and have different part numbers.

most guys here are using king springs. a couple use lovells and eibach. i can only think of one with tein. anyhow the rrp a set of tein is $440 but if you contact e-gene he has found a dealer with less.

is there a test you can do at home to approximately see how stiff the shocker is?

sitting at home i have suspension (strut and shocker) from zze122 and also suspension from zze123.

the strut size is identical. the shocker rod height is also identical. both suspension is made in south africa and have different part numbers.

most guys here are using king springs. a couple use lovells and eibach. i can only think of one with tein. anyhow the rrp a set of tein is $440 but if you contact e-gene he has found a dealer with less.

Thanks man, $440 for Tein which is specific for ZZE123 is not bad at all considering Whiteline sells the ZZE122 springs for $320. Do you know if they deliver these springs to the door? I live in Shellharbour NSW2529.

I had a guy quote me $415 for the springs. I'm considering them myself, maybe we can do a group buy? :D

Do you know if they deliver nation wide E-gene? $415 is a good price for Tein, if they do delivery i will be up for it.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys...newbie here. Just wanted to share my Dobinsons expereince with you. I don't have their springs on my RAV4 but i do have their strut inserts and shocks that go well with my 35mm King Spring lowering springs. They also make 35mm lowering springs for RAV4 (which i think King Spring uses)?

Anyways, they are a good bunch of people and their products are very good. I have spoken to the head of Dobinsons personally and he's got your interests at heart.

BTW, here is a pic of one of our RAV4OZ.com members with Dobinsons lowering springs in his RAV :)

kidong01.jpg