Driving a manual...

Hi all,

Just chatting with a few ppl here at work and just wondering if I'm the only one that parks their (manual) car in gear???

A lot of ppl at work just leaves it in neutral, I understand leaving it in neutral if you have a turbo timer.

Found that out the hard way when I drove my brother-in-laws Skyline :)

Turned off the ignition and bunny-hopped the thing :lol::lol:

Thanks.

always.... i dont see why people dont

the other thing i dont understand is why some people dont start the car with the clutch in??? i was taught to always start the car with the clutch in... just in case

Well from what I got at work today was that us guys (oh yeah and girls) who park it in gear and start the car with the clutch in are what they called "Old school drivers" :blink:

That's just a lot of crap I think :D :D

the other thing i dont understand is why some people dont start the car with the clutch in??? i was taught to always start the car with the clutch in... just in case

As a side note to the point of starting car with clutch pedal pressed in, all new manual Toyota's won't start unless the clutch pedal is pressed in. Its a good safety point and good for avoiding clutch hopping.

There are some brand new cars that wont start unless the clutch is in... are they "old-school"???

:lol:

I thought those were only limited to the damn korean cars.....

Bloody hyundai, had me trying to jumpstart a colleagues for almost 45mins.

Everytime i turned the key the the immobiliser would go on... i was thinking the immobiliser was playing up... then it just turned out i had to clutch it (even though i already took it out of gear).

Though for the record, i too park with car in gear (when im driving a manual that is), however I have heard of first hand cases where ppl admit there partners smashed their cars cos they didnt realise the car was in gear and it leaped forward into the wall upon startup. :lol:

Edited by neK

... since when are you "in" a boat... i would say i am "on" a boat... however i just said it in my head, and i say "in the same boat" ... so maybe you have a point...

anyway i never park in gear... i should... but ive never gotten into the habit of it...

never park in gear..

we are on the same boat :)

The saying is "In the same boat"

I'm on a different one :P I'm a gear parker too :)

Off the same boat maybe .. FOB

in reverse if my nose is pointing down a hill

in 1st if pointing up a hill

I ALWAYS park in 3rd ;)

you shouldn't park in reverse

I was taught exactly as Donna does, and I've always started with the clutch in, probably because I'm scared of doing the "hop" :P

As a side note to the point of starting car with clutch pedal pressed in, all new manual Toyota's won't start unless the clutch pedal is pressed in. Its a good safety point and good for avoiding clutch hopping.

How 'new' is new?

I've got an 05 that doesn't need to clutch in to start.