damn 2zz is slow-update

Come on kids, play nice. :P

I think the whole "is the 2zz slow" question basically relates to what you are comparing it to. As far as naturally aspirated 4 cyl engines go, I think its pretty close to one of the best available. If your comparing it to a turbo, then obviously its going to feel slower. I think 180hp out of a 1.8 litre engine is pretty good, especially for a toyota.

JC

I think the whole "is the 2zz slow" question basically relates to what you are comparing it to. As far as naturally aspirated 4 cyl engines go, I think its pretty close to one of the best available. If your comparing it to a turbo, then obviously its going to feel slower. I think 180hp out of a 1.8 litre engine is pretty good, especially for a toyota.

JC

Good point, Totally agree~~~ ;)

What other motor choices did you have in mind that actually fits in the engine bay of the MRS ?

If you are after something screaming fast, then starting with the 2zz was not the smartest move, but if that's the only engine that fits reasonably easy (and cheap) and it's faster than your previous motor, then be happy with it !

JC

The fact he is saying that it feels slow just means that. No argument about how many HP this 1.8 litre motor produces ...

Were you happy with the 2zz when you had a ride in it ? I am sure you would have had a drive in a car with a 2zz to see what they are capable of before deciding to dive in and do the conversion ? Right ?

The fact he is saying that it feels slow just means that. No argument about how many HP this 1.8 litre motor produces ...

As I said in my first post, slow compared to what? A 747? a BMW M3?

honesly i was expect more from this engine,sure sounds good,

like my previous car was an integra type r, this thing felt fast, ive never driven are 2zz car before, i made this swap for reliability purposes,and bit more power, but it is fun to drive,and rev the crap out of it, but i got are feeling its not running to its full potential, also the 5 speed doesnt help, next on my list would be lighter flywheel and clutch and the 6 speed while im at it and then later power fc,

so if it does rain next week, anyone wanna go to the creek?

Edited by ralyrt

those gear ratios and calculations with shift rpms and stuff seem kind of wrong...

what 5 speed box are you using? i thought the stock mr-s was a 6 speed, i think that was the last model though...

and i thought you would have been running the power fc for a 2zz conversion, what ECU are you using? I would be getting the 6 speed in there and a power fc before anything else and the car should seen much faster and more capable of low 14's.

as it is at the moment i would be expecting high 14's, low 15 passes. With my 1zz, rev cut at 7200rpm i get over the 400m line in 3rd gear, sportivos get over in 4th and other 1zzs (without altered rev cut) get over in 4th.

just something to note.

the 6th gear on the SA spec stivo is shorter than the JDM spec runX and the celicas.

RPM: 8200rpm

AUDM ZZE123

stock final drive: 4.529

stock ratios:

1st 3.166 66.8

2nd 2.05 103.2

3rd 1.481 142.9

4th 1.166 181.6

5th 0.916 231.1

6th 0.815 259.8

JDM ZZE123 - JDM/AUDM ZZT231

stock ratios:

1st 3.166 66.8

2nd 2.05 103.2

3rd 1.481 142.9

4th 1.166 181.6

5th 0.916 231.1

6th 0.725 292.0

c-one final drive ratio: 4.8

c-one ratios:

1st 2.929 68.2

2nd 2.176 91.8

3rd 1.7 117.5

4th 1.364 146.4

5th 1.167 171.2

6th 0.916 218.1

RPM: 4000rpm

AUDM ZZE123

stock ratios:

1st 3.166 32.6

2nd 2.05 50.3

3rd 1.481 69.7

4th 1.166 88.5

5th 0.916 112.7

6th 0.815 126.7

JDM ZZE123 - JDM/AUDM ZZT231

stock ratios:

1st 3.166 32.6

2nd 2.05 50.3

3rd 1.481 69.7

4th 1.166 88.5

5th 0.916 112.7

6th 0.725 142.4

c-one final drive ratio: 4.8

c-one ratios:

1st 2.929 33.2

2nd 2.176 44.7

3rd 1.7 57.3

4th 1.364 71.4

5th 1.167 83.5

6th 0.916 106.4

mintos

im using the celica ecu

the mr2 6 speed only came in the later model spyders(03+) and were only avaiable in europe

my current box is the standard 5 speed (jdm spec)

the standard mr2 spyders currently run mid to low 15's(manual version)

i think they have different ratio's comparing to the aus spec corolla 5 speed.

so what speed does the corolla top out in 3rd gear?

so here's what ill be doing, running the 1/4 with the 5 speed for the later put the 6 speed, then i can compare them,

also guys, what the best way to find out what ratio i currently have?

cheers

Edited by ralyrt

also guys, what the best way to find out what ratio i currently have?

cheers

well it depends where u got ur box from ?

is it an original 5 speed form a mr2 or a corolla ?

as if u take a look at this

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/...ake_name=TOYOTA

u will notice the mr2 4th gear ratio is different to the corolla's 4th gear ratio .... this is the same even with the 6 speed box. Whats interesting though is the 6speed shares the same ratio's as the 5 speed except for 6th obviously.

is it me or is the 2zz just slow

maybe its me jumping from turbo to na

well maybe its the 5 speed, 1 to 2 revs drop to 5500, but the rest im well into lift,

so what do use think it is?

i was supposed to go tonight to the creek, but it rained, also ill be putting it on the dyno, any recommendations?

what power should i expect?

damn i want more power :lol:

cheers

hi there ...i dont mean to be rude...but here in south africa...we fall into lift from 1st gear to 2nd gear..

and most of the time when we race turbo cars like the gti golf 5 then we are infront atleast by a car..

currently im driving a runx rsi 2006 model but stock std. but my previous one 2006 model had a decat done and i ran a godd friend of mine,he drives the ford fucos st. 225.

belive it or not the runx sat a fender in front 4/5 races..

first 2 we went on a roll..i was infront..the next 2 we went launch and i was also a fender infront...

so these engines in std form they are excellent in my opinion..i know its not as much fun drivin a turbo car but i takes alot of turbo production cars of the track..

just my 2c ;)

is it me or is the 2zz just slow

maybe its me jumping from turbo to na

well maybe its the 5 speed, 1 to 2 revs drop to 5500, but the rest im well into lift,

so what do use think it is?

i was supposed to go tonight to the creek, but it rained, also ill be putting it on the dyno, any recommendations?

what power should i expect?

damn i want more power :lol:

cheers

hi there ...i dont mean to be rude...but here in south africa...we fall into lift from 1st gear to 2nd gear..

and most of the time when we race turbo cars like the gti golf 5 then we are infront atleast by a car..

currently im driving a runx rsi 2006 model but stock std. but my previous one 2006 model had a decat done and i ran a godd friend of mine,he drives the ford fucos st. 225.

belive it or not the runx sat a fender in front 4/5 races..

first 2 we went on a roll..i was infront..the next 2 we went launch and i was also a fender infront...

so these engines in std form they are excellent in my opinion..i know its not as much fun drivin a turbo car but i takes alot of turbo production cars of the track..

just my 2c ;)

hi Jeremy... don't mean to be rude, but have you read the rest of the topic where it explains he has it connected to an MR-S 5 speed gearbox instead of the usual six speed. The engine is mounted into the back of an MR-S, not a corolla or celica. The fact the standard MR-S 5 speed bax has an LSD already in it is the advantage... The fact the 2nd gear (and subsequent gears) are longer is the big disadvantage.

I'm with Ralyrt. I've been driving my bro's celica, and although it seems to have a bit of torque, it really lacks anything necksnapping in 2nd gear onwards. That and it takes forever to get to lift. Maybe a lightened flywheel will help...:)

I'm with Ralyrt. I've been driving my bro's celica, and although it seems to have a bit of torque, it really lacks anything necksnapping in 2nd gear onwards. That and it takes forever to get to lift. Maybe a lightened flywheel will help...:)

Mod ur 2zz to be like this and it sure is more than necksnapping ;) ;) ;) http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=7760

need more details than just "stage 1" installed! hehehe

but that graph does look very appealing...I'll have to see what happens when it's in an MR2. Lighter = faster acceleration, so it may be more necksnapping than the celica.

• 1 month later...

well its been almost 2 months since saying the 2zz is slow,

well ive driven it bout 5-6 ties since then,(will be driven more until i get my licence back), anyway

i mastered the gearchanging, cause before i used to miss 2nd and third alot and i havent driven the turbo one, so this time it wont feel slow

so if u drive a 2zz equiped car, it will feel slow, i takes time to get used to, in my case the 5 speed didn't help,so ive just bought a 6 speed, but im still debating if i should go lighter flywheel, only because they say you rev faster but also the revs drop faster, but only time will tell and will see how it goes, so is the 2zz slow, well ive made my decision, now u decide

cheers :D

regarding the NA vs Turbo. Obviously turbos are so much more torquer than NA. I own a corolla and I can say honestly turbos are more fun.

I dare to say this, if a F1 engine is 1.8litre NA, it won't feel that fast either. until of course... u hit 17000rpm or more.hehe...

In my experience, turbo engines goes from turbo lag (at low revs) till a sudden surge of power that stretch from as low as 2500 to near 6000rpm... that is simply amazing!!

in gear ratios, the differences in 1st and 2nd is usually a big gap. simply because the 2nd gear has is still multiplying the torque of your engine at least 8x or more! so even BMW's M5 7speed has a relatively bigger gap from 1st to 2nd compared to 5th,6th,7th.

which is also why it is very hard to downshifts to 1st.

so whether your lift dissappears on 2nd is probably so momentarily or the fact that the clutch slip itself is going to balance things out.

otherwise clutch kick it. that always helps.

James