Difference in Cat converter

DuGong

running no cat on the street = $14K fine in australia from memory.

Get a "test pipe" made up if you want to see how much difference there is.

Should cost $100 or less for your current cat to be flanged and a mild steel tube section made to replace it.

mate do what i did

cheapest high flow cat

all you have to do is take out the cat then bash out all the mesh on the inside.

replace it... DONE

the the cops wouldn't have a clue that your runing a striaght through.

what they see is a cat. what they don't know, is that the cat does s!ht all

As rollamods has said, try a test pipe. The only proper way to see if the cat is causing some sort of restrictions is to get it dynoed on the day. You will find that modern day cats cause little to no restriction at all. I don't think its worth the time and money to replace the cat to be honest. Unless of course you are completely out of things to modify.

Cheers

mate do what i did

cheapest high flow cat

all you have to do is take out the cat then bash out all the mesh on the inside.

replace it... DONE

Well done. You do realise that police do troll internet car forums for stupid things like this.

So saying they don't have a clue is a croc, you've just admitted to doing that, hope you get caught.

They have these things for a reason, modern day cats are extremely efficient as has been mentioned, especially on the sportivo.

mate do what i did

cheapest high flow cat

replace it... DONE

Well done. You do realise that police do troll internet car forums for stupid things like this.

So saying they don't have a clue is a croc, you've just admitted to doing that, hope you get caught.

They have these things for a reason, modern day cats are extremely efficient as has been mentioned, especially on the sportivo.

iit was just a question...

well...

if i get extractors should i keep the current stock one ?

As mentioned above, most cats these days flow freely and there isn't alot of power to be gained from removing them, I have tried and gained 6 HP on a 750 HP car, the gains are not worth the fine should you ever get caught, also on a N/A vehicle it wouldn't do jack. JMHO

Look mate, don't listen to all these fools, the cat is where the power is lost man.

ANd don't let the cops sniffing around deter you from boring that lil cat out.

its kw and torque man! just look at this pic for the results you can get,

Super_Cat.jpg

mate do what i did

cheapest high flow cat

replace it... DONE

well...

to gain more power the one needs to burn fuel quicker more quickly, thus getting it in and out quicker, the most obvious way is to reduce restrictions in the exhaust and inlet. cat converters have alot of restrictions particularly stock ones. This is why 100% of track and race cars dont run with a cat converter as they are not required to have one and it reduces power, however this is illegal on a road registered car as pointed out by these tossers. yet its your car and opinions from pu55ys like these shouldnt deter you.

So listen to the advise of a know it all idiot remove your cat and then get a nice fine from Police officers who are better trained than ever to know what to look for :rolleyes:

Hi-Flow cat's really don't cost all that much, so, if you wish to replace the standard with after market one go for it, but keep in mind lucio's comment and look at the gain v money spent equation and you'll see it's not really worth while on a Corolla.

to gain more power the one needs to burn fuel quicker more quickly, thus getting it in and out quicker, the most obvious way is to reduce restrictions in the exhaust and inlet. cat converters have alot of restrictions particularly stock ones. This is why 100% of track and race cars dont run with a cat converter as they are not required to have one and it reduces power, however this is illegal on a road registered car as pointed out by these tossers. yet its your car and opinions from pu55ys like these shouldnt deter you.

Its attitudes like that that screw up the world mate.

On a naturally aspirated car you will get nil gains from changing or getting rid of the cat, especially these motors, on a turbo motor as I stated before the gains are still minimal and not worth the possible headaches that could occur from removing the cat.

On another note I doubt the Police would be going through these threads looking for people that have bored or removed their cats, I am sure they have better things to do.

On a naturally aspirated car you will get nil gains from changing or getting rid of the cat, especially these motors, on a turbo motor as I stated before the gains are still minimal and not worth the possible headaches that could occur from removing the cat.

On another note I doubt the Police would be going through these threads looking for people that have bored or removed their cats, I am sure they have better things to do.

I've been on Hot4's forum since 2002. Earlier on, lots of people got done (More often than not on cruises, as this is where they congregated) and it's from places like this that they know where people are going from/to, what cars/who is going, what mods they have done (as a number of these sorts of people brag about stuff on the car) and as such know who to look out for.

Everyone knows they do it, they do crackdowns occassionally as everyone knows, where do you think they get their information from?

If you can get me a written statement from the Police/RTA saying they don't I will more than happily delete this post.

Dugong: Keep the stock cat, unless you get some sort of deal from whoever you're getting your parts off, they might be able to do you a deal. Well unless it's a track car, then take it off completely. :rolleyes:

im deciding whether 1zz would pull more power with a swap of cats.

high flow vs stock vs none.

would running no cat mean i get more back fire?

Stock - less flow, more restrictive, slower

High flow - Higher flowing, less restrictive, faster

None - Very high flow, no restriction, fastest

When it comes down to competition, anything that can be modified to extract more power (provided that it follows the rules) will be done. But on the road, don't bother to be honest. I believe its money wasted. As said, unless your out of things to mod then go get a hi-flow cat. I doubt that you'll see any notable difference. At the end of the day its your choice, don't let other people tell you otherwise :)

Cheers

Edited by Suprathai

1.8l corolla = slow ( yeah i own one.. )

2.0l turbo = fast

6.0l V12 = STUPIDLY FAST

wake up plus why do you want to add to the polution levels.. its a corolla.......*** damn the engine is good for a new age run around it isn't the beez kneez... **** me

Edited by sportiv

where in this qoute do yu see wether he wants to use it on the street, is worried about cops and epa??

no offence intended for anyone but for all we know, hes planning on dragging or tracking his car. the point is, less restrictions = higher flow = more power.. which is nothing to do with police and epa and website patrol police.. answer dugongs question properly.. or dont..

mate do what i did

cheapest high flow cat

replace it... DONE

well...

i've worked on many track and racing cars and they have all ran a cat converter.

where in this qoute do yu see wether he wants to use it on the street, is worried about cops and epa??

no offence intended for anyone but for all we know, hes planning on dragging or tracking his car. the point is, less restrictions = higher flow = more power.. which is nothing to do with police and epa and website patrol police.. answer dugongs question properly.. or dont..

why would you drag race a corolla??? obviously its for the street

mate do what i did

cheapest high flow cat

replace it... DONE

well...

i've worked on many track and racing cars and they have all ran a cat converter.

why would you drag race a corolla??? obviously its for the street

Well i have 2 cars, and use my corolla for track meets. i use a full kakimoto exhaust, Spec R - a racing spec, which in actual fact doesnt come with a cat converter for "higher flow". Kakimoto build spec r exhausts for most car types, the mid pipe is straight through for higher flow, for race use, but there wrong, not you..

Edited by MB487

Correct Mick... it is a CAMS and FIA directive that cars must have a catalytic converter (I think open wheelers may not have to but I could be wrong)

Despite the reputation as petrol burning disaster areas, auto racing is cleaning up it's act and this is one of the things that has changed in recent years.

MB... if your car is for Drags then you are not included in this as ANDRA are still dirty bastards :P

Edited by Blue_Stivo