Sportivo handling gremlins

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Back-off oversteer"...?

Sounds like it.

I've seen this a few times on rally videos. Rob and Micky know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: also at the salvage auctions you see Corolla's with a cylindrical-shaped impression in the side. So they come round the corner, back-off half way through, spin and hit a tree or power pole side-on.

Edited by Tayles

There is a certain video on the forum of a corolla going into a river which demonstrates exactly what ur talking about .... sorry mark just using u for educational purposes ;-)

there we go found it .....

ecvMXqXtA78

let me know if u want me 2 remove it mark.

Edited by xoom

There is a certain video on the forum of a corolla going into a river which demonstrates exactly what ur talking about .... sorry mark just using u for educational purposes ;-)

ecvMXqXtA78

Thanks for the response guys!

Spectacular off... though I caught it both times before the rear swung around. The feeling I got was that the front end bit in and pulled the car more into the corner than the rear letting go. The solution is to wind off a bit of lock and apply some power. I still think that it is something to do with suspension geometry that may be able to be tamed somewhat with changes in suspension bushes, sway bars, spring rates, etc.

Any thoughts?

Chris

were u going around the bend at close to 180km/h when u caught it?

ecvMXqXtA78

Thanks for the response guys!

Spectacular off... though I caught it both times before the rear swung around. The feeling I got was that the front end bit in and pulled the car more into the corner than the rear letting go. The solution is to wind off a bit of lock and apply some power. I still think that it is something to do with suspension geometry that may be able to be tamed somewhat with changes in suspension bushes, sway bars, spring rates, etc.

Any thoughts?

Chris

were u going around the bend at close to 180km/h when u caught it?

Edited by Northy

I wish I got my off at Wakefield in the wet on video... it demonstrated lift off oversteer perfectly... plus pirouettes on the slippery track with ****ty tyres. I was glad there's plenty of run off there, but the armco still felt mighty close... :blink::blink::blink:

I was also going at about 150 just entering the turn 1 kink.

If you're going that fast on a public road with oncoming traffic you're nothing but a d!ck plain and simple. Take it to a track before you kill someone whilst 'trying to catch it' you knob.

In answer to your question though. When applying the brakes at that speed you're transferring weight to the front wheels giving you the feeling that there is more grip at the front (which there is because the forces are pushing down on the front).

At the same time, you're reducing your rear end grip because the weight that was on the rears when you were accelerating has now suddenly shifted off and moved to the front when you applied the brakes.

Add in lateral forces when turning and this will cause the rear end to swing around at little or no notice.

If you're going that fast on a public road with oncoming traffic you're nothing but a d!ck plain and simple. Take it to a track before you kill someone whilst 'trying to catch it' you knob.

take it easy as you know where this road leads too....

"Back-off oversteer"...?

Sounds like it.

I've seen this a few times on rally videos. Rob and Micky know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: also at the salvage auctions you see Corolla's with a cylindrical-shaped impression in the side. So they come round the corner, back-off half way through, spin and hit a tree or power pole side-on.

Peter (The Master) Taylor is probably the only person I've seen to get out of a really bad dose of 'back-off oversteer' lol. It looked scary lol.

Yes it leads to unnecessary injuries and/or death. I'm simply expressing my own opinion so back off.

R U a coppa? You sound like one of those self righteous under brained traffic cops.

I think IZZ-FE has a point though.

I believe this forum does not promote reckless driving on the streets.

He is just trying to keep the road safe, lets just quit it before it starts getting too hot. But then again, who wants to get hurt...

The only thing I remember is that you should be accelerating around a bend not braking(?)....but don't kill me on that statement....I'm a complete noob.

Yes it leads to unnecessary injuries and/or death. I'm simply expressing my own opinion so back off.

R U a coppa? You sound like one of those self righteous under brained traffic cops.

Have you seen what happens to the human head after a high speed accident stupid? I hope you never have to.

Grow up, if you really want to be testing your (lack of) driving abilities take it to a track.

Have you seen what happens to the human head after a high speed accident stupid? I hope you never have to.

Grow up, if you really want to be testing your (lack of) driving abilities take it to a track.

Ok... so if you can take a moment to take a break from your breathless diatribe and pay some attention, I will make a few relevant points

1. I live in the country, so I have a choice of underutilised back roads that only lead to a few farms, are sealed and I slow down for any blind corners where I do not see oncoming traffic.

2. I have had 1 speeding fine in 7 years, basically speeding where there is no traffic and no cops!

3. the nearest racing circuit is 500km away.

As far as trauma, maybe you should keep your preaching to yourself. In my line of work I see all sorts of minor and not so minor trauma. And I have seen enough photographic images from my mate who is a forensic odontolgist to give most nightmares. My driving skills are well above average... and no I will not challenge you to blah blah blah. If I have an off... it will be me meeting the scenery... not another road user.

My post was to talk about the handling of the car... your post was an unwelcome rant. As far as weight transfer... well DUHHH! It is the suddenness of the transfer that should be able to be tamed.

Live well and prosper

Chris

Chris appart from the TRD suspension are you running any other handling mods?

Only a trd rear sway bar and front strut brace

Regards

Chris

He is just trying to keep the road safe, lets just quit it before it starts getting too hot. But then again, who wants to get hurt...

The only thing I remember is that you should be accelerating around a bend not braking(?)....but don't kill me on that statement....I'm a complete noob.

Hey!

I brushed the brakes to reduce a bit of understeer, not to slow down. I agree tho that braking should be completed b4 corner entry.

Regards

Chris

:clap:

So you've actually seen first hand someones brain splattered all over a car interior have you?

You've been the first on scene to see such a sight? I have (And funny it was on a quiet country road too).

You stated you were driving at 150km/h into a corner on a public road. Country road or Metro road same thing moron, where ever you are, unexpected traffic will be there, unlike on a closed track (And you live 500km away from one, no excuse)

I couldn't give a sh!t if you kill yourself, because one less idiot in the world is great, but don't take someone else with you.

End Rant ;)

:clap:

So you've actually seen first hand someones brain splattered all over a car interior have you?

You've been the first on scene to see such a sight? I have (And funny it was on a quiet country road too).

You stated you were driving at 150km/h into a corner on a public road. Country road or Metro road same thing moron, where ever you are, unexpected traffic will be there, unlike on a closed track (And you live 500km away from one, no excuse)

I couldn't give a sh!t if you kill yourself, because one less idiot in the world is great, but don't take someone else with you.

End Rant ;)

Lighten up!!!

Chris

Edited by KaptnKolgate

Chris,

If you've had the pleasure to meet Carlo, u'd learn to find that he is a top bloke, with a world of knowledge. Please refrain from below the belt comments.

And No, i did not just draw a target on my back.

But back on topic:

On more spirited drives and managable speeds up the mountains etc. (for me i tend to hover arounds 70 odd K) I also experience very mild "lift off oversteer"... but i don't think it's the best thing to brush the brakes mid way in the corner? - i do that too sometimes out of sheer instinct, but i feel it's better to do all the braking before the corner and accelerate through it? ...i'll try to find a picture LOL , my english is too fooby

The Handling Gremlin Answer? Handbrake Turn FWD Technique!!

frontwheeldriveoversteer2.jpg

*A track would be a great place to practice...or an empty gravel car park...or in GT4 :D *

Edited by RME1