home job CAI please help

bassposse

ok the car is a 91 camry sv21 2ltr 3sfe

i wanna still use my stock box for this as i dont want police attention..

so what i was thinking is what can i use for the home job CAI

(CAI meaning a pipe going out of the engine area)

can i use the Flexi Pipe that you can get from AutoBarn or does it need to be made out of metal?

and also where to run the pipe as i looked in the engine bay and theres not much room up front

being either flexi pipe or metal some where so i dont get any water in it

and also the pipe that goes from the AFM to the engine would i notice a difference if i changed that to either a metal pipe or also the Flexi pipe

why i want a home job is cause i cant find any where to get a CAI for my car

k thanks for any input

That $24.95 silicon pipe from Autobarn comes in red, blue and black - the latter I think would be perfect for your stealth setup.

Before you hook up a cold air feed, try removing the OEM intake snorkel (not sure what it's like on a Camry) and see how you like that mod, mainly in terms of noise rather than power because, like on a 1ZZ, super-awesome gains are out of your league. I found on my Corolla the real benefit came from simply removing the snorkel - adding an aftermarket panel filter plus the cold air feed later on had less of a dramatic effect.

That bendy tubing should be able to snake it's way through to somewhere underneath the car or behind the front bar - naturally ensure it's not drawing air from behind the radiator or anywhere else hot (obvious I know, don't be offended!). Then simply cable-tie it to a few secure spots along it's path and use duct tape to seal it to the inlet of your air box. Note that the Autobarn stuff is 80mm in diameter so will be a fair bit wider that your inlet, not a big problem. Then try to locate an aftermarket panel filter which should flow better than your stocker, try K&N, BMC or ITG.

Search for a few threads about this - lot's of DIY cheapies had been done when I was looking for info about my setup. Members to look for are IZZ-FE, Just, DuGong, and of course Rollamods

A few post-scripts: *I had no problem with water induction after using the carwash or driving through a large storm on new years - my air feed was completely exposed to the outside world apart from being partially shielded by my grille.

*Probably no point changing the pipe that runs between the MAF and throttle body. 1) Metal gets really hot when connected to the throttle body. 2) The bendy pipe has grooves in it which could be restrictive in that area.

*Leausance had a custom CAI made for his car. You're looking at ~$300

Edited by Tayles

Hiya guys,

I was thinking of doing something similar (to begin with) to bassposse. What I had in mind was one of 2 possibilities:

1) Running flexipipe from lower down (lower grille) and directing it upwards towards the snorkel (which to me is in a retarded position behind the headlight - a 2zz FYI). Hopefully this would redirect cooler air towards it. It is not my intention to connect the two with tape to negate water worries.

2) As above, but disconnecting the snorkel and just running the flexipipe towards the side of the air box, again without actually connecting the pipe to the box.

As an aside, i'm thinking of wrapping the headers in fibreglass heat tape. I have noticed that the enginebay/bonet gets extremely hot after driving around for a short while.

The rationale behind using the flexipipe is because

1) It flexes, so is easy to move around (shya!)

2) Given its larger diameter and the fact that it's not connected, the internal ridges shouldn't be a problem

3) Cheap cheap!

At this time it is merely a thought - what are yours? I'm not particularly interested in a CAI at this point in time (expense and insurance reasons amongst others).

I look forward to your ideas!

Yep sneaky skeleton man you're on the money :toast: I did all of the above intake mods to my 1ZZ and apart from being a fun DIY project each time it also gave me some nice gains in throaty noise and response. As I said above try searching for other threads about this, there should be 3 decent ones, or talk to members like the ones I mentioned above, or take a look at the first page of my members ride.

For the record: I did not tape the air feed tube to the airbox inlet either, even though it was well recommended to me (the word "vacuum" was used) - but without the tape I found the cold air feed was still reasonably effective.

you can buy flexible aluminium ducting at Bunnings, the corrogations are a lot finer than the flex tube from autobarn etc.

It's about $30 a length, and a length would probably do four ZZE rolla intakes to the stock airbox.

It would work best if you got the larger 100mm+ size tube and cut the hole in the airbox larger to fit.

Using the larger diameter piping would also require you to use a smaller battery or to do some small mods and move the battery over a bit for more clearance.

Edited by rollamods

• 2 weeks later...

and also the pipe that goes from the AFM to the engine would i notice a difference if i changed that to either a metal pipe or also the Flexi pipe

If you can get this done in aluminium or stainless steel for real cheap, it worth looking into, but no point at all changing this over with flex pipe.

the hardest part of a DIY full CAI is the MAF mount. All you need to make the CAI is three 90deg mandrel bends and some straight pipe, and that damn MAF mount. If you can cut one of the 90's in half, and cut the straight sections to the right length, you should be able to get them TIG'd up for SFA (5 pipe welds + welding of MAF mount, takes about 30 mins for an experienced welder). custom making the MAF mount takes the longest. 90deg Mandrel bends in 304 grade 1.6mm wall stainless are $14ea, and the straight tube is about $16/m from memory.

Ok i finally got around to going to Autobarn and buing the

Flexi Pipe and now im ready to start installing it to my air box

but my next question is..

where to run the Flexi Pipe?

on the stock snorkle bout half way along it theres the Resinator i thik it is that just comes out of the side of the snorkle a bit into the passenger side fender so is that where i should run the Flexi Pipe to into the side fender and feed it as far in there as i can?

Ummm on my sv21 i left the snorkle and that. Run some 2 vacumm cleaner flexi tube thing and thread it through the gap between the headlight and straight down.. I managed to fit 2 tubes into the snorkel and was a pefect fit didnt need any calbe ties. I can hear the diffrerence has more of a sucking sound int he engine bay and u can feel it if u put ur hands on the end of the custom diy tubes. Hope that helps. Oh the flexi piping is too big to fit between the headlights gap.

• 1 year later...
Ummm on my sv21 i left the snorkle and that. Run some 2 vacumm cleaner flexi tube thing and thread it through the gap between the headlight and straight down.. I managed to fit 2 tubes into the snorkel and was a pefect fit didnt need any calbe ties. I can hear the diffrerence has more of a sucking sound int he engine bay and u can feel it if u put ur hands on the end of the custom diy tubes. Hope that helps. Oh the flexi piping is too big to fit between the headlights gap.

Wow, quite an old thread, so i don't know if you're still trying to work out a place for your CAI. Buuuuut, under the fuse box near the battery is a hole that leads to the fender, that's where most people who CAI their 2gen Camry's place it. If you take the fusebox out, you'll know what i'm talking about.