Sound Deading Doors

AndrewLy

Hi Guys

Just planning to Sound Deaden my doors and possibly my boot D.I.Y styles.

Firstly putting on Dynamat and then spraying behind the rears of my speakers with the deadning foam.

i know this is a massive labour intensive job. can i have views on peoples who have done it, would you get it done by pro's instead? Does it really make a difference?

Also if any Corolla's have done it to their doors and boot can you please post up some pictures if you have taken any.

Thanks

Edited by AndrewLy

is there any particular reason why you want this done? I'm just curious. sound deadening adds weight and you may not get the desired result as there is still quite a bit of road noise coming from the underbody of the car. Also, what kind of sound deadening materials are you planning on using?

is there any particular reason why you want this done? I'm just curious. sound deadening adds weight and you may not get the desired result as there is still quite a bit of road noise coming from the underbody of the car. Also, what kind of sound deadening materials are you planning on using?

well just in the middle of purchasing my new sound system. So thought i may aswell sound deaden the doors as some people live by it. weight is not an issue for me. The main reason why i ask have people done it and their views on it is to see if it really is worth it.

Sound deadning materials i am planning on getting is either Second Skin or Dynamat sheets and not too sure on the sound deadning foam as of yet.

but still is early days, just wanted to see other people's opinions

Cheers

Hi Guys

Just planning to Sound Deaden my doors and possibly my boot D.I.Y styles.

Firstly putting on Dynamat and then spraying behind the rears of my speakers with the deadning foam.

i know this is a massive labour intensive job. can i have views on peoples who have done it, would you get it done by pro's instead? Does it really make a difference?

Also if any Corolla's have done it to their doors and boot can you please post up some pictures if you have taken any.

Thanks

where are you getting the deadening foam?? I wanna buy them. (i've used the spray deadening (not the foam) and they don't work that well)

I've added sound deadener all around the doors,bonnet,front fenders and yeah sounds abit quieter after (opening and closing the door sounds different too :D ).

hey guys, i also plan on deadening all my doors and boot. i got a Sportivo so may do the floor and firewall too.

I hopefully start it this weekend, start with the rear doors, see how they come off first. Anybody know what Size are corolla speakers? 6" front and 5.25" rears?

I ordered my sound deadening from the US. Its called RAAMmat and is the equivalent to Dynamat but a whole lot cheaper.

I bought it last year, payed around $407 inc. freight to my door, and got 96sq feet in two rolls.

Also threw in a material called ensolite, which is a closed cell foam, good for speaker gaskets (put between speakers mounts and mounting bracket to form airtight closure).

Dynamat bulk pack you recieve around 36 sq feet for $350 mark.

Here is the site i ordered it from. Takes a while to come here by air but worth it once i install it.

http://www.raammat.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Great bloke 2 communicate with, easy transaction

hey guys, i also plan on deadening all my doors and boot. i got a Sportivo so may do the floor and firewall too.

I hopefully start it this weekend, start with the rear doors, see how they come off first. Anybody know what Size are corolla speakers? 6" front and 5.25" rears?

I ordered my sound deadening from the US. Its called RAAMmat and is the equivalent to Dynamat but a whole lot cheaper.

I bought it last year, payed around $407 inc. freight to my door, and got 96sq feet in two rolls.

Also threw in a material called ensolite, which is a closed cell foam, good for speaker gaskets (put between speakers mounts and mounting bracket to form airtight closure).

Here is the site i ordered it from. Takes a while to come here by air but worth it once i install it.

seesh looks like you are going all out.

I was just thinking of going the 4 door set of Dynamat for around $130 (rough estimated price)

The speaker sizes are 6.5 at the from and 5.25 at the back

please let me know how you go because im planning to do it next weekend.

a site that i stumbled across today may be helpful for you aswell. kind of rates all the sound deadening brands etc etc.

Also can you throw up a few pictures too?

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

thanks

seesh looks like you are going all out.

I was just thinking of going the 4 door set of Dynamat for around $130 (rough estimated price)

The speaker sizes are 6.5 at the from and 5.25 at the back

please let me know how you go because im planning to do it next weekend.

a site that i stumbled across today may be helpful for you aswell. kind of rates all the sound deadening brands etc etc.

Also can you throw up a few pictures too?

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

thanks

i sound deadened my drivers side rear door 2day

heres before and after pics

14072007039om3.jpg

Shot with N80 at 2007-07-13

14072007051tv1.jpg

sorry for the bad quality in the images. From my camera fone. It took around 1.5 hours 2 do that door, plus i had 2 go to the hardware shop to buy contact adhesive for the foam around the service holes.

Give me feedback

i sound deadened my drivers side rear door 2day

heres before and after pics

14072007039om3.jpg

Shot with N80 at 2007-07-13

14072007051tv1.jpg

sorry for the bad quality in the images. From my camera fone. It took around 1.5 hours 2 do that door, plus i had 2 go to the hardware shop to buy contact adhesive for the foam around the service holes.

Give me feedback

Hey great job buddy, have you got your speakers in there yet?

if so how does it sound? alot of difference? and was it a real tricky job?

It adds bugger all weight to the car, prob like 1kg a door. I added stinger road kill. Sounds alot better, but then went u get rid of the noise in the door, u notice it coming from other parts like the power window swithces etc.

n11rice yours and mine look exactly alike, except that I have a white rolla.

Its worth it I tell you, to this day I haven't gotten a sub because of sound deadening.

Hi Suprathai, just wondering how much of that dynamat extreme you had to buy to cover the door like that. is it like that for all your doors?

Just looking at the dynamat packs available. i was just going to go the Door kit that has 12 sq.ft. but just thinking that i would be using alot more to make it look like yours and buy the trunk kit that offers 20 sq.ft.

can you also tell me how much you spent on it?

thanks

I got the dynamat bulk pack (36sqft) for about $200 I think. I covered both the inner and outer parts of the door. With sealed/painted MDF to cover the service holes and used adheasive foam behind the interior door trim. Remember to clean the bare metal properly, I used methylated spirits. If you don't clean it properly it might fall off as there is grease there.

I'm not sure how much SDer you purchased, but I would SD in the following order.

Front Doors

Boot/Hatch

Rear Doors

I used a bit less then half of the bulk pack for my two front doors only.

Edited by Suprathai

Also take a look at some of the sound deadening products that JayCar stock. Did my car with them. Did the job nicely and not expensive at all. Did all 4 doors for $150. The sound is so much better.

I m getting my stereo system installed in 2 weeks time, full alpine stuff with MB Quart speakers.

I getting Tower audio to install them in Vic, they look pro cos they did the alpine show cars years back.

I let you know once ive done it.

They suggested me I only need the front doors only as I am using the MB Quart premium range at the front.

Cost me a fortune!!!!

I m getting my stereo system installed in 2 weeks time, full alpine stuff with MB Quart speakers.

I getting Tower audio to install them in Vic, they look pro cos they did the alpine show cars years back.

I let you know once ive done it.

They suggested me I only need the front doors only as I am using the MB Quart premium range at the front.

Cost me a fortune!!!!

ooo good job i was there at the sale at toweraudio and thats where i got my stuff from. only bought the boot package as i didnt want to do such a huge job. you might be doing the same set up as mine! i got two pairs of MB quart premiums for front and back, havnt got my dek and amps yet tho.... stereos are expensive...

can i ask how much they charged you for the install?

i have removed everything from my doors at the moment and cut up and painted some mdf wood for the service holes. this project is going to take ages! will keep you guys updated tho

Hmm, they are charging me $600 bucks including wiring and and all the fuse boxes and stuff.

When I did my last car it cost me around $300 of wiring, so i guess i paying $300 bucks for install.

hmm, i guess ppl needs to make money, cheap install dont get good quality job (what I heard from others)

Also I dont have time to do this stuff as I work full time.

Dont mind meeting melb ppl and you can check out the install

I did all my installs myself!! Unless I spend really big on an install at a reputable store I wouldn't bother. But if your not too handy with tools and stuff then a pro is a better option obviously. Wires and its associated accessories are expensive though

The most frustrating part is letting the paint dry :angry:

Careful when applying the SD though, you can cut yourself without knowing until you wash your hands and arms *ouch*

tell me about it! i got like two cuts that i had no idea about.

after wagging work for the day and some hardcore blood sweat and tears with my friend. we finally finished the two front doors. i have taken photos however on a laptop with 56k modem! will load them up eventually.

i have a new problem now with SD'ing the back doors. i cant seem to get the back speakers out. anyone can offer advise? i want to keep the same pod aswell because i bought 5.25" coaxils for the back too.

cheers