INJEN hydroshield

JAZE55

This just arrived for me in the mail. Its an INJEN HydroShield, just some extra protection with CAI when it rains. I have taken my passenger foglight out recently and noticed the K&N filter gets wet in heavy rain.

The Hydroshield does not affect performance, and I also put my hand inside and ran a tap over it and my hand is still dry. Awesome product

post-640-1195100816_thumb.jpg

hey mate. how much did the hydro sheild set you back and were did you order it from. would like one to. i noticed my air filter gets wet on rainy days to. on rainy days the people driving around me must think im drunk cause i go through all the lanes just to avoid puddles so this would be bloody great. and does it fi on most K&n filters?

what a waste of time and money, Injen has you lot sucked in bigtime. You dont need this or any other anti water/hydrolock device. Even on a car with superlow springs60mm+ drop you would have to drive through 30-40cm of water for it to even start to be an issue.....

what a waste of time and money, Injen has you lot sucked in bigtime. You dont need this or any other anti water/hydrolock device. Even on a car with superlow springs60mm+ drop you would have to drive through 30-40cm of water for it to even start to be an issue.....

yeah i see what your point is northy but lets say it rained heavily for 1 or 2 weeks straight. i know the CAI isnt gonna suck in litres of water but like over 2 weeks time wouldnt there be heaps of really small droplets of water that get sucked up into the engine? and im sure even if its a little amount it cant be to good for the engine. just my theory. could be wrong.

Well everyone is entitled to an opinion Northy.

Like I said I got this for the fact that water gets sprayed onto my filter when it rains. I prefer my filter to be dry and not soaked. As my front foglight has been taken out, so there is a large opening for water.

For all the guys who asked, I got this off Ebay motors. Just search for it, should be roughly 40US landed, depending on exchange rate.

just like the hydroshield itself though, the filter is only wet on the outside ;)

Thats a good point Dylan, got me thinking now to get a non oiled filter now that I have the HydroShield lol.

Just remember paper ones are 1 use only and when they get wet they are stuffed. And don't think for a moment of using one of the stainless steel mesh ones, may as well use nothing.

yeah i see what your point is northy but lets say it rained heavily for 1 or 2 weeks straight. i know the CAI isnt gonna suck in litres of water but like over 2 weeks time wouldnt there be heaps of really small droplets of water that get sucked up into the engine? and im sure even if its a little amount it cant be to good for the engine. just my theory. could be wrong.

funny, i deliberately spray water into my inlet tract. it seems to do my engine some good.

I think this device is for drivers who don't watch where they are going when it's raining and drive into creeks and rivers.

It's good to know when you do that your filter is nice and dry.... :whistling:

Shame these weren't around when MAP81 put his car into a dam :toast:

Do Injen show some dyno proof or whatever that they don't restrict the intake???

Just a few questions that popped into my head whilst reading this thread.

MAP81's engine was lucky, he turned it off just in time. The whole lower section of the intake manifold was full of water when I removed it.

Three of my friends have hydrolocked their engines with CAI's though, two corolla's and one FTO, all three motors bent rods.

I do believe there was another member of this forum down south who did the same thing with a 1zz in the floods and required the long motor to be replaced.

With that injen bag you'd hope that once it's submerged it blocks all airflow, then the engine would stall instead of injesting the water.

Edited by rollamods

Well people I drove the car today, and their is no sign of a decrease in performance. I put my hand on the pod and you can still feel a nice healthy flow of air.

Like I said previously I rather my filter stay dry, then be soaked. The hydroshield beads water off, I have tested it myself. I will repeat myself, I did not buy this to prevent hydrolocking, but to keep my filter dry.

Where did u get it and how much?

Hmmm I don't think it will prevent anything if you drove in a lake, but neither would your standard airbox. I imagine it would keep your filter cleaner and dryer from splashes and water that gets in between the bumper gaps and splash guards, so all you'd really have to do is wash the bag every now instead of the filter. Seems like a good idea to me!!!!!!

hey jaze

i found them on ebay but not sure which one to get. i dont wanna get one and its gonna be to big or to small for my air filter. which model one was your one? and also how long did you have to wait for it to arrive o you?

• 2 years later...

I run one on my girlfriends sportivo. (except its a K&N Drycharger)

I only have the K&N short ram intake.

Obviously its not really going to get wet in the engine bay (and overkill for sure), but its a great pre filter, superfine mesh stops all bugs and junk getting into the filter.

I'll post up some pics on the weekend.

Cost was $20 when i got the intake shipped from the US

Here's the link from K&N

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RX-4990DK

Ive got a mate with a Dyno, i'll see if i can do a run with and without the cover, but there would be SFA difference.