Goodbye MR2,Hello Tommi 6.5

GReddy_ES

Very sad to here mate :( Hope you get the shop back in order quickly and that your car is not a write off :( That's what I'm hoping for with my celica too :(

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear about this :( let us know how you go,if it's anything like Melbourne all the panelshops are flat out fixing the damage we copped a couple of weeks back and finding one thats 1/2 decent and can actually fit you in in the next millenium is a challenge...ohhh and then theres the insurance companies,they are very busy atm and assesments/approvals are taking 2-3 times longer....

good luck mate i feel your pain :(

Hi all,i guess its time to say goodbye..my dear friend has been written off..i'm still waiting to find out how much i can buy it back for..but for now..this chapter has come to an end.I'm still not sure what to do with it if i get it back..hopefully i can pass it on to someone who might want to use it for the track,otherwise i'll part everything out and wreck the shell.

I'll know in the next week or so,but till then..its time for mourning for the loss of a great car,plenty of memories,blood and sweat and enjoyable drives.

Hi guys,

So i'm still waiting to hear back from the insurance about buying my car back.In the case where its gonna be unregistered,i'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who might planning to buy a SW20 for track purposes only?REason being,rather than parting out everything,i'd much rather sell the whole car(minus the seats) than go through the hassle of parting it out.So if there's anyone toying with that idea,please lemme know and we can most definitely discuss it.

Cheers

Adrian

I don't get how thats a write off! Is its insurance that low (thinking this because its an old car)?

I'm sure if you don't want it someone else will fix er up!

Hail damage is much different to anything else , it's the ammount of labour and the parts involved to fix that car up that write it off

• 4 weeks later...

Received the long awaited call from the "Total Loss Team" this arvo and was told to bring the car down tmr to hand over.Which means tmr will be the last time i'll be driving the MR2.Bittersweet feeling right now as i prepare to say goodbye to my car that has served me well and gave me nothing but good times driving it.So farewell and hopefully it goes to a gd home and gets a new lease of life.

Sad to hear that man :( I know all too well about how you feel. Lost mine last week :( Good luck with finding your next car :)

:( Depressing :( seeing such loved and cared for cars written off is soooo sad.

did you get a chance to remove some of your prized posessions before she goes?

Good luck with what ever you choose next...hope it's a Toyota. :)

Received the long awaited call from the "Total Loss Team" this arvo and was told to bring the car down tmr to hand over.Which means tmr will be the last time i'll be driving the MR2.Bittersweet feeling right now as i prepare to say goodbye to my car that has served me well and gave me nothing but good times driving it.So farewell and hopefully it goes to a gd home and gets a new lease of life.

I've gathered that there was no mechanical damage from the storm as you still drive the car. Is it just exterior panel damage?

Imo, too much of your time, effort and $$$ has been put into this project, for you to just accept a write-off payment as a solution.

This MR2 is simply the best that I've come across so far, it can only just get better in future, and that’s if you were to get it cosmetically repaired. But if you choose not too, maybe a lucky panel beater will score himself this prized MR2 from the insurance auction.

I commend all your hard work put into this car, very impressive and awe inspiring.

I've gathered that there was no mechanical damage from the storm as you still drive the car. Is it just exterior panel damage?

Imo, too much of your time, effort and $$$ has been put into this project, for you to just accept a write-off payment as a solution.

This MR2 is simply the best that I've come across so far, it can only just get better in future, and that’s if you were to get it cosmetically repaired. But if you choose not too, maybe a lucky panel beater will score himself this prized MR2 from the insurance auction.

I commend all your hard work put into this car, very impressive and awe inspiring.

well..the main reason for not fixing is because the car/paintwork/body will never be the same again after all that repair work..plus the amount of money insurance wants for me to buy the car back is ridiculous.

well..the main reason for not fixing is because the car/paintwork/body will never be the same again after all that repair work..plus the amount of money insurance wants for me to buy the car back is ridiculous.

The insurance company usually auctions the written car off to repairers to salvage as much as they can from the payment they had made to you.

Of course they would sell back the car to you at a significantly higher price than that they had paid you out. Or else, everyone will take advantage of this, by buying back the car at a cheaper price and using the left over cash they received from written off payment to use on repairing the damage on the car.

Its only cosmetic. Mechanically it's sound as a rocket. Imo, I would just cough out repair costs to panel beater or have custom panels made from the same non-metal materials made for hard top detachable roofs. My friend's MX5 got battered all over from the storm here too, but only his hard top roof was left undamaged because it wasn't made from metal.

The insurance company usually auctions the written car off to repairers to salvage as much as they can from the payment they had made to you.

Of course they would sell back the car to you at a significantly higher price than that they had paid you out. Or else, everyone will take advantage of this, by buying back the car at a cheaper price and using the left over cash they received from written off payment to use on repairing the damage on the car.

Its only cosmetic. Mechanically it's sound as a rocket. Imo, I would just cough out repair costs to panel beater or have custom panels made from the same non-metal materials made for hard top detachable roofs. My friend's MX5 got battered all over from the storm here too, but only his hard top roof was left undamaged because it wasn't made from metal.

Its all too late now cos i brought the car to the insurance this arvo and picked up my cheque.I know its only cosmetic..but i wouldn't want my roof and pillars to be filled with bog..so yeah..its time to move on.

• 2 weeks later...

So i handed in the MR2 2 weeks ago,and finally picked up my new car last friday,Evo 6.5 Tommi Makinen Edition and got the chance to go bring it to my old work place to give the car a good full detail,something it probably was missing alot hehe gave it a good wash,clay,light buff,polished and waxed it,buffed the headlights,cleaned the engine bay and resprayed the bonnet vent black.Glad it came up nice at the end,just gonna enjoy the car for now(Its completely stock) and not spend too much on it with the house building coming up later this yr.Anyway,on to the pics,enjoy :)

Parts List:

PWR Radiator with Ralliart Radiator Cap

Unknown Oil Cap

P1020440.jpg

P1020438.jpg

P1020442.jpg

P1020436.jpg

P1020448.jpg

P1020447.jpg

P1020444.jpg

ooh yeh first reply! :P

Driven my brothers (200awkw) and they sure do go/stop alright! Gotta love the magnesium/Titanium coated turbine blades for near instant spool. Car looks immaculate, will be interesting to see what you do to it