NSW's war on "Hoons"

Hey guys. what are your thoughts on NSW's recent war "drag racing" and "hoons"?

I think the current approach is a joke. The toughening of road laws has not stoped young drivers killing themselves and has just made it stupidly difficult for everyone else to get their license. The recent NSW government is adopting a "over protective parent" persona relating to this issue.

The recent media coverage borders on unprofessional, labeling every motor accident as a "drag racing" incident. The majority of the time it's reckless under-educated bogans flogging their VK comodores around thinking they own V8 supercars - They're ox-carts with big engines! Stop killing yourselves and ruining it for everyone else! And don't even get me started on w@nkers and their "rexies" or fake GTR's. The media has no idea what they're talking about. This sort of ***** just doesn't happen in organised street meets. I don't condone rekless driving but i expect the media to get it right and not paint a foney picture.

Sorry for the rant but i am fed up with all this "War or hoons" malarky in the paper. It's diminishing popular car culture and ruining the modified car scene. It's come to the point where, if a car even looks slightly modified, they are followed by the cops.

Edited by qkslvr

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude the poo poo dont really even glance at the rollas hey! on my way home from work today on epping rd R33 near maquarie pulled over. further down near epping station red wrx pulled over. its funny man!

Do nothing wrong and no harm will come to you :)

if only that were the case...

it IS the case... they may pull you over, sure, but after that, no harm, no foul.

I've been 'random breath tested' 3 times in the last month once in Stivo and twice in the MR2 both time the had a quick look over the car got me to count to 10, checked by license and I was on my way...

I actually like that they are doing their job and keeping dopey feckers off the street.

it IS the case... they may pull you over, sure, but after that, no harm, no foul.

I've been 'random breath tested' 3 times in the last month once in Stivo and twice in the MR2 both time the had a quick look over the car got me to count to 10, checked by license and I was on my way...

I actually like that they are doing their job and keeping dopey feckers off the street.

Agree keep the silly fooks off the road so that it's safer for all others to use, yes it may be an inconvenience to be pulled over for a 'random breath test' but if you've done nothing wrong, and the car is all above board you'll be back on your way in minutes.

What the fecking hell are you talking about :P

Further to this, the recent death of two elderly people being hit by others who were racing (3 cars racing I think?) highlights why these things come about.

What the fecking hell are you talking about :P

Further to this, the recent death of two elderly people being hit by others who were racing (3 cars racing I think?) highlights why these things come about.

"We had two vehicles, both Commodores and possibly a third vehicle appear to be engaged in some sort of race on the Great Western Highway. It appears they've taken up all three lanes," he said.

ABC News - http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/30/1991383.htm

This further illustrates my point. They were commos. Most likely, none of them on their P's due to the new power/weight ratio restrictions for P platers. Yet this sort of shyte still happens. You really must wonder if all the new restrictions have done anything to prevent deadly car accidents. I don't expect the authorities that govern our right to drive to get it right every time. But I do expect them to not just legislate for the sake of appearing to solve a problem they seemingly can't solve.

The only way to solve it is not by legislation but to have more police on the street.

Now that is actually happening people are complaining...

I disagree, Dylan. Ruling with an "iron-fist" never solved any problems I'm aware of. Unless there is a cop on every street and back alley in NSW, I don't think that is the answer either.

There's a difference between policing and harassment.

I'm not saying the second doesn't happen, as I know it does, but I've never had any issues with any of the cops I've ever dealt with, even the one who gave me my speeding fine and 3 month suspension.

Police can make a difference just by having a presence, there is only a need to book someone when they do something illegal.

In most cases, when people see a police car on the road, they take more care, this is all I'm saying.

Do nothing wrong and no harm will come to you :)

if only that were the case...

thats fair enough... i also agree with the increased "interest" that police have been putting into road safety. time will tell how long this "interest" lasts.

anyone who is daft enough to do double the speed limit when there are alot of other cars on the road are asking for trouble! Esecially in common spots!

1 simple solution ..... speed limit every car to 110 ...... cant get to these "excessive" 160+ speeds then ..... yeah ok u can still get to 110 in a 40 zone but then 160+ vs 110 is probably better ..... So who's first ? lol

tack on to my earlier point: if you aren't doing anything wrong, why worry?

my understanding is if your not breaking the law, the cops cant get you for anything?

correct me if i'm wrong

I just read in the paper that a Corolla and some other car got impounded by the police for drag racing. no one on this forum i hope.

To bring things back on track. My gripe is not with the police or policing of the streets. My gripe is with the way it's all being played out i.e The "war on hoons". it's created a moral high-ground for everyone one to stand on and point and name-call. As i always maintain - only a special kind of liar can always stay within the speed limit. I agree that racing at double the speed limit is stupid. 120 in a 60zone is silly. 80 in a 40zone? Hmmm...who's guilty of that? (rhetorical question. please don't answer)

at the end of the day, speed and safe driving are/should/have always been a question of common sense. Those who don't possess it deserver what they get. However, I dread the day the whole issue becomes one of those an@lly-taboo subjects just because we've been conditioned to react in that fashion.

you said those who dont have common sense get whats coming to them, my issue is that they often take others with them when they get whats coming to them.

that said i know for a fact cops dont look at corollas and family cars unless they appear to be obviously unroadworthy or they see you doing something illegal, i mean its a family car, and i have gotten this info from two seperate cops.