NSW's war on "Hoons"

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on the engineer and your own level of documentation and honesty on what has and hasn't been done.

I personally plan to photograph every step of the conversion process I'm going to do so the engineer can see exactly what has been done and what it was like before vs after.

Do nothing wrong and no harm will come to you :)

if only that were the case...

it IS the case... they may pull you over, sure, but after that, no harm, no foul.

I've been 'random breath tested' 3 times in the last month once in Stivo and twice in the MR2 both time the had a quick look over the car got me to count to 10, checked by license and I was on my way...

I actually like that they are doing their job and keeping dopey feckers off the street.

yes u got a point. But i am a p-plater with a Bloody festiva and nearly everytime i go out, i am pulled up by a copper. On every occasion i am breath tested. Since i have gotten my p's i have been pulled over more that 15 times. On 2 separate occasions, ive been told to get out of the car and have been searched to the extent that the rear seat has been taken out to be searched underneath and then given no reason for such actions.

Now imagine if i had bought a slightly modified car. :angry:

Edited by Eltivo89

wow u must be doing something wrong to be drawing that much attention to you in a festiva or live in a bad suburb.

i had a stivo on my red's and a xr6 turbo on my greens and ive barley ever been pulled over, only time i ever had anything happen to the extent your saying was during the cronulla riots when they stopped and were kinda sus cause there was 4 guys in the car heading towards cronulla

The only way to solve it is not by legislation but to have more police on the street.

Now that is actually happening people are complaining...

I disagree, Dylan. Ruling with an "iron-fist" never solved any problems I'm aware of. Unless there is a cop on every street and back alley in NSW, I don't think that is the answer either.

the problem is that it will be left up to the stupid cops with a chip on their shoulder because daddy wouldn't let them have a fast car to Define "racing" and thats where the problems will arise from...

Dude, seriously, how is that sort of attitude going to help...

No-one here is disputing that there are some douchebag cops out there, but either way (douchebag or not) they dont make the legislation...and therefore arent the ones 'defining racing'.

I disagree, Dylan. Ruling with an "iron-fist" never solved any problems I'm aware of. Unless there is a cop on every street and back alley in NSW, I don't think that is the answer either.

From the responses to this thread, and a lot of other threads, a lot of various names have been given to the police. That would indicate perhaps a feeling of intimidation? What happens when people are intimidated? - They usually withdraw their behaviour. I completely agree that an 'iron fist' approach is definitely not cool...but if you mess your pants everytime you see flashing lights or hear a siren; then more police actually on the streets in general (not just chasing cars) will probably make you withdraw, or at least make you paranoid.

As MR2ZZ said, if you've done nothing wrong then you don't need to be worried.

yes u got a point. But i am a p-plater with a Bloody festiva and nearly everytime i go out, i am pulled up by a copper. On every occasion i am breath tested. Since i have gotten my p's i have been pulled over more that 15 times. On 2 separate occasions, ive been told to get out of the car and have been searched to the extent that the rear seat has been taken out to be searched underneath and then given no reason for such actions.

Now imagine if i had bought a slightly modified car. :angry:

join the club we got jackets :yahoo:

even when my car was dead stock i suffered from the same prob... do wat i do avoid popular and congested roads and take the backstreets... now i only get pulled over once or twice a month :toast:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what the laws are like in NSW but up here in QLD we've just had all these new P platers laws put in. But i just don't see some of these laws are going to help lower deaths for example we now have a power restiction for p platers of 200kw. i really don't see how this is much of a restriction because you can still do 140 in you mums camry.

But luckily i got my licence before the new laws so thay don't apply to me. :yahoo:

The majority of the time it's reckless under-educated bogans flogging their VK comodores around thinking they own V8 supercars - They're ox-carts with big engines! Stop killing yourselves and ruining it for everyone else! And don't even get me started on w@nkers and their "rexies" or fake GTR's. The media has no idea what they're talking about.

Dam it must be really different down there because where i live every person aged 17 to 25 that has $3000 has a bloody commordore with an exhuast and mags. it seems that about 90% have commordores or falcons and 10% have everything else.

i never understand the P platers who get pulled over "everytime" they go out, but swear black and blue that they werent doing anything wrong! "oh the cops pick on me cos im this race, or because my rims are chrome, or because im driving this type of car so im instantly a target"... bullcrap...

i've been driving for about 2.5 years now (not long compared to most, i know, but im still on Ps so this is relevant).. anyway i drive alot, and i drive all over sydney...

i have NEVER been pulled over!!! i've been flagged into a couple of roadside RBT things, but never actually had to pull over and explain myself.. in that time i've driven my corolla with its excessively low coilovers, rims, loud exhaust etc... i've driven my old man's saab 93 turbo... and i've driven my turbo supra with its body kit and rims and whatnot... and for most of that time, the turbo restrictions have been in place too, and still no attention from the cops..

why? cos im not a douche on the road... i dont overtake erraticly, i dont belt away from the lights, and if there's any other cars in sight, i stick to the speed limit (or if not, im never more than 10km over)...

this post isnt an excuse for me to tell you im the perfect driver on the road, because of course im not.. but at the end of the day, if you dont draw attention to yourself, you wont be pulled over for "no reason"..!

cops have better things to do with their time than pull you over for being a sensible driver...

i never understand the P platers who get pulled over "everytime" they go out, but swear black and blue that they werent doing anything wrong! "oh the cops pick on me cos im this race, or because my rims are chrome, or because im driving this type of car so im instantly a target"... bullcrap...

i've been driving for about 2.5 years now (not long compared to most, i know, but im still on Ps so this is relevant).. anyway i drive alot, and i drive all over sydney...

i have NEVER been pulled over!!! i've been flagged into a couple of roadside RBT things, but never actually had to pull over and explain myself.. in that time i've driven my corolla with its excessively low coilovers, rims, loud exhaust etc... i've driven my old man's saab 93 turbo... and i've driven my turbo supra with its body kit and rims and whatnot... and for most of that time, the turbo restrictions have been in place too, and still no attention from the cops..

why? cos im not a douche on the road... i dont overtake erraticly, i dont belt away from the lights, and if there's any other cars in sight, i stick to the speed limit (or if not, im never more than 10km over)...

this post isnt an excuse for me to tell you im the perfect driver on the road, because of course im not.. but at the end of the day, if you dont draw attention to yourself, you wont be pulled over for "no reason"..!

cops have better things to do with their time than pull you over for being a sensible driver...

Good post, my thoughts exactly.

BTW, i know u think your perfect Tommo

Agreed with Tom. I'm the same age, 3 years experience. Been pulled over once for "suspected speeding" in the middle of the night. A few RBT's here and there. 0 speeding fines and 0 lost demerit points. Driven sh!t boxes, family cars, my modded Corolla making lots of noise, Dad's Evo, and the rally car...

I don't really know where you guys find all these police but I wish there were more around when idiots want to race me on the street!

This is always an interesting argument...

For the whole 3 years when I was on my P's (this was before all the various 'new' laws of turbo cars and whatnot) I was not pulled over once (owned the corolla the whole time with an excessively loud exhaust) - didn't even get flagged into 1 RBT. I revved the car beyond 4k rpm (not exceeding the speed) directly in front of coppers, even broke traction in front of them before (no I was NOT doing a burnout/being unsafe, it was unintentional), but because i was driving a corolla they didn't care. As far as I am concerned though I could have been as dangerous as any other car on the road, even though I drive very sensibly.

At the point when the corolla was at its modified high I was targeted hard out of a pack of traffic in a defect station up north. I mean there were some real unroadworthy ****boxes in this pack - the car infront of me was blowing smoke, rusted like crap, another car further up was missing a rear bar, etc. But they targeted my car because it looked clean, lowered, nice wheels, non standard exhaust - they didn't even know what sort of car it was. NO I was not driving badly at all, I am simply demonstrating the selection criteria on which copas base this 'law enforcement' on.

Then within the first week of owning my skyline I was pulled up out of nowhere by the cops on a rural road at 8pm, for an RBT and because I was apparently speeding some 20k's over (I wasn't, had the speedometer tested for accuracy). I was simply cruising along a straight road, the cops drove past in the opposite direction....when they saw what car I was driving the sirens went on and they ripped a 180 degree drift followed by a burnout to pursue me. I won't go into detail here but anyhow what the officer implied was basically "you take the speeding fine or I am going to defect your car". Needless to say, I took the 'speeding fine' as $70 is much cheaper than fixing a defect. Now the car isn't standard however the minor mods done are completely legal.

I have no problems getting pulled over for a "random breath test" (this is the official reason for pulling over nice cars it seems) and being let on my way or if I was doing the wrong thing and got pulled up on it, I wouldn't have any problems paying the price. What I do have a problem with is getting treated like a criminal for driving a nice car that outperforms the majority of road vehicles in handling, stopping power and general safety.

Anyhow long rant short (sort of), now I do pretty much crap my pants whenever I see a cop, not because I am doing something wrong but because there is the chance they are one of the **** wits and will defect/impound my car for no genuine reason in the name of making the road a safer place.

Edited by Mintos

see kai thats exactly the problem - i crap myself when i see a cop too, because people with nice cars (imports, or just modded up) ARE targeted by the cops.. there's no denying it... unfortunately for you it must have been a ***** cop that got you for nothing...

so far so lucky for me, and i put it down to not drawing attention to myself... the problem is there's a limit to how inconspicuous you can be with rims, body kit, shiny car etc... that goes for all of us, regardless of what we drive... as soon as the cops see a set of rims or hear a loud exhaust, it raises red flags in their minds and they watch to see what you're doing...

sucks but thats the price we pay isnt it... i wouldnt give up my car to be less obvious to the police...

I am still on my P's in QLD too (off soon :)), I have barely even been pulled over by cops, My first car was an import, second car the Sportivo. I have had probably 3 or 4 RBT's and pulled over once for illegal U-turn, which I wasn't going to argue over ("if there was a car coming the other way that would have been dangerous", if there was a car coming, I wouldn't do a U-turn), it was a no points $70 (i think it was) fine, no biggie. I have never had them check over my car. I drive sensible 95% of the time and the other 5% I am still not stupid.

I don't think it is only down to attracting attention, it come down to luck, or a lack of it, of coming across some cops who target modified cars. If someone says they got pulled over for no reason, I would like to believe them, however, the more often they get pulled over for "no reason", the more likely there is a reason.

The police don't even look at the Corolla. The best 2 examples I have are; I gave it some proper stick out of a side street and didn't see them coming the other way, and they just shook their head at me :lol: And the other time I ended up in between some 'hot' Nissan's and a copper steps out and waves everyone over, so I too pull over since he is blocking the road. The policeman looks at me weirdly then signals and tells me to move on.

The police don't even look at the Corolla. The best 2 examples I have are; I gave it some proper stick out of a side street and didn't see them coming the other way, and they just shook their head at me :lol: And the other time I ended up in between some 'hot' Nissan's and a copper steps out and waves everyone over, so I too pull over since he is blocking the road. The policeman looks at me weirdly then signals and tells me to move on.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It depends on which cop you came accross. It's the highway patrol that love to pull over cars and defect modified cars. If you give your car a "proper stick" and get seen by a general duties officer in a paddywagon, he/she aint' gonna bother turning around unless they are trying to make a career move.

I had a foot patrol officer try go pull me over once when i still owned my old celica. my number plate bracket was modified so the place sat under the front bumper inside the air dam - at certain angles you couldn't see it. As I turned left at a round-a-bout the copper saw me and ran to the street to try and get infront of me so i would stop. Luckily he was too slow (thank you Krispy Kreme) and i managed to pass before he got to the street. I saw him in the mirror - i just played dumb and kept driving. I can understand why he did it, If i was on foot patrol, i'd want to make a career move to put myself in one of those government paid patrol cars too.

to the guy who witnessed the cop do a 180degree turn and burn out after you...that is classic highway patrol. My friend is married to a highway patrolman; most of them are bored out of their minds doing routine traffic stops and breath tests. They pray for the day they get to do something like that.

Edited by qkslvr

Guest JDM y0 !

i havnt read anything. dont have the time lately sory so forgive me if i missed the point please ^_^

anyways my 2c..........

ok they ban all the high performance cars for p plates. im agree a lot, kids need to learn to drive with low power cars, i started with a 4ac powered ae86 with suspensions upgrades only and i have had so much fun against p plate commodores showing them power isnt really nessicary. sure it helps but isnt nessicary. now i drive a tuned smallport 4age ae86 and the power is good. its like graduate to more power, start off small and learn the basics, then get power.

but also banning the high performance cars MAY help, the other problem is that nothing stops hairdressers in hyundai excell from doing 140 on the westgate freeway whilst i follow the speed limit in my ae86.

this is upsetting.

Even 50kW can go fast enough to do some serious damage/death. They need somewhere where inexperienced drivers can go and do all the dumbs things they want to do to get it out of their systems. But it seems that governments don't want to attack the problem seriously and wont aid or even close down race tracks.

Guest JDM y0 !

there needs to be harsher penaties and also some kind of psych test to stop dumbfu*ks getting behind the wheel.

i get highly upset wen driving an my ae86 with suspension mods and expensive tyres then i see dis girl in an excel doing 60 over the limit with like k-mart tyres and boat suspensions

there needs to be harsher penaties and also some kind of psych test to stop dumbfu*ks getting behind the wheel.

i get highly upset wen driving an my ae86 with suspension mods and expensive tyres then i see dis girl in an excel doing 60 over the limit with like k-mart tyres and boat suspensions

It's funny because the defect laws are in place to keep old sh!tbox unroadworthy kingswoods off the road. Instead, it's being abused to target modified cars.

Guest JDM y0 !

^

its true, dis guy speaks the truth

but sometimes i think about this...

modified car are sometimes modified with cheap modifications

often cheap mods are unsafe mods, this can be a problem

look at the money standard, modified M3 is usually modifed a lot safer because of higher parts standards used and research done, compared to lancer modified with super cheap auto components