NSW's war on "Hoons"

^

its true, dis guy speaks the truth

but sometimes i think about this...

modified car are sometimes modified with cheap modifications

often cheap mods are unsafe mods, this can be a problem

look at the money standard, modified M3 is usually modifed a lot safer because of higher parts standards used and research done, compared to lancer modified with super cheap auto components

Yes this is true and a big problem ... people who take cheap short cuts when modifying vital parts of a vehicle (like suspension, tyres) are not doing anyone any favours.

I see this alot with import owners, and not just the owners, but the people who comply the vehicles when they are imported, not replacing fluids and forgoing the installation of stuff like side impact bars.

So many stupid (mostly young) guys who get these performance imports just have no idea how to drive or properly modify cars, let alone high performance ones.

Like an incident that happened at WSID last Wednesday I think it was... a guy in an R33 GTR, who had never driven the car on high boost before (was making 300aw kw) crashed his car and almost decimated the guy he was racing against because he was just clueless. He had never run at a drag strip before and first run the douche tries to launch the car off the limiter, fishies a few times (is obviously well versed in throttle control) and spins off IN FRONT of the S14 he was racing (luckily this guy saw it coming and braked to avoid a collision) and smashing into the wall.

So anyone driving a WRX/Evo/GTR/Audi, etc who thinks AWD will compensate for lack of driver control, you are wrong. Kinda feel sorry for the guy because insurance is not going to cover that...

Anyhow, I don't see these laws being softened anytime soon, they will only get harsher and it will become increasingly difficult to drive a known performance car on the roads these days regardless of the state of the vehicle or driver. The cops know that there is a greater chance that the guy driving the XR6 Turbo will do something wrong or has 'illegal modifications' than a grandma in a 1988 Toyota Camry and the chance game is the way most of them play it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man ..... and i was gonna go watch that evening as well ...... skyline crash @ WSID

apparently wat happened

the driver was hitting the limiter before he took off and creeped up forward... then the official sort of lost it and told him to move back... then he revved dumped like he just stole the gtr went left right left right until it looked like he touched the brakes and ended up smacking the rear end mostly on the other side.. maybe he **** himself and got nervous on the track

120907192.jpg

120907193.jpg

yeah. that's slack. at least he was having a go and took it to the strip instead of doing it on the street. I put it down to inexperience. I've seen a video of a Corvette doing the same thing.

now imagine if he lost it launching off the street. driving 10/10th on the street is a death wish.

Edited by qkslvr

I feel bad for him, I was nervous on my first trip to WSID. On my second ever run I sidestepped the clutch in first and fishtailed the first 60' or so, almost crossed the centre line. Scared me half to death, I was afraid I wouldn't catch it and tap the wall.....

As far as i know people have been killing themselves in cars since their inception. Adding new rules won't make a car safer, even the old rules were futile at best.

I myself am no angel, i learnt to drive in my mates backyard which covered fifty acres of dense scrub. His old man carved a track out around the edge of the property and my mate and i flogged a morris 1100 around it. Was about 13 at the time and it gave me confidence in my driving. 60k/hr seems real quick on a dust track as wide as the car.

I also drove for 3 years without having even gotten my L's, on my own, in my dad's HQ Premier w/ 253, 2.5"inch dual exhaust, genie extractors and a 350 holley. Not once did i get pulled over by the police, and if you had known me at the time it would seem real strange as i was 4' tall and looked 10 at 16. I'd had them follow me, and drive next to me and do all sorts of wierd things but never pulled me over.

I'm not saying that it's ok to drive unlicensed, it's not and it's damn stupid, but so is my father which afforded me lots of opportunity to drive vehicles others wouldn't normally without a license. Tractors, Skid-steer, forklift, D-9 and D-10 dozers, drott's and frontend loaders to mention a few.

I got my license at 20 and after 2 weeks i had a speeding ticket, and then another, and then another til i was out of demerits,

gaining a license didn't make me a safer driver it made me worse. Prolly cos i all of a sudden had leeway for doin something stupid. eg demerits . Maybe a semi decent solution is to remove demerits and if you are caught acting up they should just take your license, your car and ban you from driving for 3 months. Could fix traffic congestion, pollution and road death all at once by removing the roads too.

Has anyone tried to go for a forklift ticket in qld since the end of july? Used to be a $130 day or two course and you were ticketed. Now your up for 40hrs logbooked work, 40hrs training and a $930 fee for the certification.

The way i see it, the government say's that you're not allowed to die, and if you are going too it'll be at a ripe retired 90-100 after many dutiful years as a tax payer.

Just one more thing, Accidents happen, and have been happening since the dawn of creation. No rule thought up by man can change that and it's prolly a good thing cos if we could it'd be like undoing the whole point of existence in the first place. It's fear of the unexpected that drives humans onto bigger and better things not comfort and security.

Oh yeah and i think the new rules are nuts, death tolls will rise as the population rises. Law of averages. It doesn't mean that people are being less safe, there's just more of us on the roads. The new laws are way's to get more $$'s for the government coffers on the back of accidental death.

Tats, that was a good article you posted and I agree with it on the whole.

Give the 'hoons' safe tarmac they can use and educate them with driving (not how to drive like every other incompetent clown who somehow manages to get a government issued license) and accidents as a result of this demographic are sure to reduce. The fact is, if people want to race/drive stupidly, there is nothing you can do to stop them, short of banning all cars with more than 50kw - however you CAN stop them causing accidents that will impact other people as described.

About a year ago they were going to build a track and drag strip just down the road from me, but the proposal got knocked back because apparently endangered plants grow there....pffft damn greenies :P

Guest dong-soo

just too many dumbazz on the road now.

i see peeps:

drive at night with foglights on and headlights off.

not indicating on lane changes, or indicating while (not before)

dumbfu*ks speeding

too many things to report.

i just wanna say its better if we destroy all cars and revert back to horse and kart.

the majority of peeps i see in daily driving just are not ready for motorcars yet. most peeps i see on the road do not desrve the right to drive motorcars.

• 1 month later...

There's an awesome debate on this going on at Toymods right now...

the key point raised is... if there is a chance of your car being crushed when you see the blue and reds in your rear view, are you more likely to stop or go faster.....?

the key point raised is... if there is a chance of your car being crushed when you see the blue and reds in your rear view, are you more likely to stop or go faster.....?

thats a tough one.. it depends on the situation your in, most people would say slow down or stop but sometimes its not safe to do so.

most people would say "im not copping a 10,000... 20,000... 80,000 (depending on the $$$ poured into your car) fine for this.. im outta here..."

how do you think the media will portray the story when a family of 5 gets wiped out by a "hoon" running from the cops cos he doesnt want his pride and joy taken away from him?

put it this way... you have a 700kW Supra or Skyline that you have poured $100,000 into and you get caught having a street race, or doing some hellies in a back street... would you stop only to have your car that you poured your heart and soul and all of your savings + a sizable loan into get crushed, knowing that you 'could possibly' outrun the po-po?

I would love to see the increase/decrease in alledged drag racing over the last 5-10years. If, indeed, it has decrease, remained the same or increased by an amount improportionate to the growth in population/increase in cars on the road, then i say this would be another example of irresponsible reporting and outright ballony by the authorities. the article would have you believe there has been a sudden outbreak of drag racing incidents.

All these anti-speeding campaigns that target only P platers and "Hoons" are basically equivalent to trying to solve a water shortage crisis by prohibiting 16-21year olds from eating vegetables - it's indirectly related and has no bearing on a long-term solution.

If so, then you should also be charged with negligent driving, another occasion of speeding, evading police, obstruction of justice etc etc.

And if you've poured said 100 grand into your car, you would think you would be responsible enough with it so that people DON'T legally take it away from you. The fact your stakes might be high does not compensate for the act you are doing - that is almost on par with running from police after you murder someone in front of them!! What are you going to say in court: "...oh I'm sorry, but i had so much money in that thing that it wasn't viable to get caught"??? Wouldn't it have been more viable not to be a d1ck in the first instance?

Do recall the offender in Redfern that ran from the police and killed his 2 mates in the passenger seats, after already stealing the car!! He and others then tried to blame the police for their deaths!!! Finally, a sensible judge - who did not condone police chases, btw - has laid rest to it. He ruled that Police were not to blame - and people (ie. him) need to start taking responsibility for their own actions!

I don't agree with the car crushing - if only because i consider it a waste of resources. Why not just take the car, take off all the hoon parts, and sell the cars secondhand again? Still leaves the offenders without a vehicle and out of pocket...fine by me.

I really don't wish to offend people, but seriously... If you get caught, it is because you have done something wrong. If you run, then you are acknowledging you have done something wrong. And yet, in full acknowledgment of your 'indiscretion' (read: crime), you would rather commit more AND risk multiple lives in the process - just so you don't get to see your precious little automobile get a little crushed. That is such a deplorable attitude to have :angry::nono:

Answer again: DON'T BE A DOUCHE ON THE ROAD

Edited by Leroy

Guest dong-soo
i just wanna say its better if we destroy all cars and revert back to horse and kart.

the majority of peeps i see in daily driving just are not ready for motorcars yet. most peeps i see on the road do not desrve the right to drive motorcars.

i STILL stand by this extreme quote..

i see even more evidence to back up ma belief !!

man..

looket da world we live in O__O !!

If so, then you should also be charged with negligent driving, another occasion of speeding, evading police, obstruction of justice etc etc.

And if you've poured said 100 grand into your car, you would think you would be responsible enough with it so that people DON'T legally take it away from you. The fact your stakes might be high does not compensate for the act you are doing - that is almost on par with running from police after you murder someone in front of them!! What are you going to say in court: "...oh I'm sorry, but i had so much money in that thing that it wasn't viable to get caught"??? Wouldn't it have been more viable not to be a d1ck in the first instance?

Do recall the offender in Redfern that ran from the police and killed his 2 mates in the passenger seats, after already stealing the car!! He and others then tried to blame the police for their deaths!!! Finally, a sensible judge - who did not condone police chases, btw - has laid rest to it. He ruled that Police were not to blame - and people (ie. him) need to start taking responsibility for their own actions!

I don't agree with the car crushing - if only because i consider it a waste of resources. Why not just take the car, take off all the hoon parts, and sell the cars secondhand again? Still leaves the offenders without a vehicle and out of pocket...fine by me.

I really don't wish to offend people, but seriously... If you get caught, it is because you have done something wrong. If you run, then you are acknowledging you have done something wrong. And yet, in full acknowledgment of your 'indiscretion' (read: crime), you would rather commit more AND risk multiple lives in the process - just so you don't get to see your precious little automobile get a little crushed. That is such a deplorable attitude to have :angry::nono:

Answer again: DON'T BE A DOUCHE ON THE ROAD

you really don't know me that well, if you think I was talking about myself in that situation... lol

I was talking about the mentality of those that do, do these things though.

Yes it is stupid to run, yes it is stupid to even be in the situation where you would consider running... no I don't condone that activity...

Edited by MR22ZZ

Guest dong-soo
put it this way... you have a 700kW Supra or Skyline that you have poured $100,000 into and you get caught having a street race, or doing some hellies in a back street... would you stop only to have your car that you poured your heart and soul and all of your savings + a sizable loan into get crushed, knowing that you 'could possibly' outrun the po-po?

now i keep thinking about wangan midnight.

man.. i should give up on ae86 and buy ultura fast car like big engine !!

massive power.

u know i learned well.

Crushing the car is the equivalent of dishing out a fine that is potentially in the tens of thousands of dollars, considering that insurance won't pay out because you were doing something illegal.

I'll only accept it as a penalty if they bring it in across the board for people doing stupid things - drink driving, high range speeding, pensioners who drive through walls of preschools, any cop who has ever stacked a patrol car (repaired at taxpayer's expense), and repeat offenders of anyone driving unlicensed or driving an unregistered car.

you really don't know me that well, if you think I was talking about myself in that situation... lol

I was talking about the mentality of those that do, do these things though.

Yes it is stupid to run, yes it is stupid to even be in the situation where you would consider running... no I don't condone that activity...

No I don't, good sir..... i wasn't for a second saying that you would personally do that. I used your quote just because it contained the question of running - and I applaud your sensibility.

As for some of you though, my view still holds. Trying to justify avoidance of the crush penalty - and i emphasise that i still don't approve of it per se - is simply deplorable.