Soldering or Crimping?

GtiRboy

Hi Guys,

Just wondering on what your preferred method of joining cables/wires in car electrical/audio installations is.

Do you prefer to solder your wires? or Crimp them with the plugs etc?

Why do you prefer that method over the other method. Pros/cons etc?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Guys,

Just wondering on what your preferred method of joining cables/wires in car electrical/audio installations is.

Do you prefer to solder your wires? or Crimp them with the plugs etc?

Why do you prefer that method over the other method. Pros/cons etc?

Cheers,

Chris

If done properly, crimping is electrically a MUCH better connection. It's also mechanically superior with most styles of crimp connector.

But crimping is expensive, so soldering is much more common. On an RCA connector the solder on the tip gives most of the mechanical strength, but it's more convenient.

In the end, as long as you don't have a cold solder joint, then you're unlikely to notice much difference at anything but radio frequency ranges, much higher than audio frequencies.

So dont stress it. Just make sure you use good connectors and a hot iron.

I usally solder because i when ever i crimp it always comes apart eventually then i have to rip apart the dash to fix it. but i have had a few bad experinces with soldering as well for example dropping the iron on the carpet and burning a hole in it or burning myself with the iron. Other then that i find solerding better.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on how good the crimping or soldering is. Crimping if done well is reliable, fast, and is easier to undo connections in case you have to pull something apart. If not done properly its prone to movement and dust invasion which can cause intermittent connections.

Personally I always solder and use heatshrink tubing to protect each individual connection. I strip the wires then twist them together along the same horizontal plane then give them a good soldering, keep everything still to make sure you dont have a dry joint. When finished the joint should be shiney silver in colour if its dull its probably a bad connection. Slide the heatshrink over the join and apply heat to shrink for a tight it, which protects and insulates the connection. Once I do all the wires I cable tie the bundle together that results in a solid bundle of wires that wont move in a hurry. You need a bit of room though. I even solder my speakers in. Never had a problem and Ive done many installations.

• 2 weeks later...

I always solder then heat shrink. I suppose it depends on the tools and the method used.

I remove enough insulation to enable the copper to be twisted around the join a few times, then I solder it. I used to solder with a soldering iron, but lately I have been soldering with a butane torch. Gets alot hotter quicker, and the solder will migrate back pass were the insulation was stripped. It is difficult to do this inside a car, and not burn anything. I had to use a soldering iron in some places.

-fad

toyota dont use solder in their looms, everything is crimped with high quality crimp connections. The tools required to perform quality crimps aren't cheap.

Soldered joints can work harden and snap over the years.

• 1 month later...

i solder, and occasionally crimp when it hard to get a soldering iron into place, or i cant find my solder :P

strip the wires, twist em together, solder, heatshrink.

but as with all joins of any type make sure its got sum "give" in the cable, coz even if its the best crimp in the world, if its got no give, it will eventually either break the wires in the cable or cum loose.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used both in the past with many a car. My preferred is crimping as long as its done properly you'll get a better connection. I tend to crimp then use heat shrink around the connection to secure the join and give it extra strength and helps with any crossover noise between cables.

Just remember with solder although a very strong connection it permanent so I'd left an extra few inches on cable in case you have to chop it to fix.

Just remember with solder although a very strong connection it permanent so I'd left an extra few inches on cable in case you have to chop it to fix.

Soldering is far from permanent. Heat it up again, and suck it out with a solder-sucker and you're back to square one

Soldering is far from permanent. Heat it up again, and suck it out with a solder-sucker and you're back to square one

Arhh yes but you're not going to undo any work you've spent the time to complete unless you're removing the entire audio system for reselling the car. Because it'd be a waste of time and effort. :P

Arhh yes but you're not going to undo any work you've spent the time to complete unless you're removing the entire audio system for reselling the car. Because it'd be a waste of time and effort. :P

Waste of time and effort? It takes all of 10 seconds to undo a soldered connection, assuming the iron is hot. It's very convenient if you've made a mistake and cross-wired or something similar, or want to add an amp or something like that down the line. Removing the whole system for re-sale is not the only time you'd want to be altering your wiring