Givng up the durries

Simo

Anyone here kicked smoking??

Im hoping to have a crack starting saturday cause im ******en sick of them, your pretty much paying money to kill yourself, and im at a stage where if im not busy im getting the urge to smoke (Which is a fair bit as an APS2)

I tried once before because I was on the crave of a young sheila, who didnt like the smoke smell, but then I got around my mates on the turps and woke up with the patch off and a pack of winnie blues in me pocket...

Im hoping to have a crack starting saturday cause im ******en sick of them, your pretty much paying money to kill yourself, and im at a stage where if im not busy im getting the urge to smoke (Which is a fair bit as an APS2)

I tried once before because I was on the crave of a young sheila, who didnt like the smoke smell, but then I got around my mates on the turps and woke up with the patch off and a pack of winnie blues in me pocket...

hahaha. funny story. I've had some friends recently quit too. do you have a group of friends that don't smoke. try calling them out along with your other mates. For my friends, the urge came when they saw someone else go for a smok'o. if you have other ppl to keep you occupied, you won't think about cigi's as much. oh yeah, ... stay on the patches. hehehehe

yea... stopped about 2 years ago after smoking for about 7-8 years. Cold turkey too.

My only advice is that you only quit when you are ready to quit. Not because someone tells you to quit.

(My reasoning was because i didnt want to get my tonsils removed. The fact that I would have to quit for 2-3 weeks before and after the operation was enough to make me quit permanently. Figured i might as well quit earlier and keep my tonsils and my money :P).

The worse part of trying quit is not having one when you REALLY REALLY want one.... it irritates you so bad that all you do is think of it. When i was quitting and i got those cravings i just had one.

Initially I would cut down how many i smoked a day, then I would see how many days I could without one. (though i did substitute with 2nd hand smoke. LOL.

My aim was to beat the previous record... then next thing you know i had stopped by 1 month, then 3, 6, till it wasnt even worth while trying to pick one up.

my name is sinan. ive been a smoko for close to 3 years. lol this reminds me of the big circle thingy were a person would stand up and talk and everyone would listen. ye well been smoking dunyhills blues eversince. tried quitting when ma dad was gonna kick me out of the house but neva happend and he got over it. everyone around me is a smoko so its very hard.

it's weird that this topic came up... I just found out a couple of hours ago that one of my friends is in hospital from a brain aneurysm. He's just turned 30 and has a 2year old daughter. the doctors say smoking was a factor. He just complained of headaches and collapsed.. =( he's stable but it's too early to tell. Anyway, sorry to get off topic.

good luck with your mate qkslvr. thats really bad expecially having a 2yr old daughter. stories like this makes me wanna quit but i end up goin outside and lighting one up again. i seriously envy the guys that just go cold turkey after smoking for half their lives. they really got patience.

Here you go Simo:

Pack of Winnie blues (servo price not woolworths price) - $12.50 give or take.

Let's say you go 4 packs a week on average, that's $50 per week.

$200-250 per month.

$2600 per year :blink:

Smoking for 5 years? $13,000 :blink:

Or you could go for a law suit against the ciggarette companies for their "Smoking will kill you" campaign. You have been smoking for years and you still aren't dead. The advertising is clearly misleading/false :lol:

I used nicorette fresh mint extra strength gum for about 8 weeks and haven't had any cigarettes in about 5 months now. I had been smoking since I was 15~ and have made numerous previous attempts to quit. I used the gum, and exercised vigorously which really helped... you feel better, and you won't feel like putting that **** into you again :D

Smoking is expensive, unattractive, stinks and the worse thing is your paying to ruin your health.

Good luck.

Here you go Simo:

$200-250 per month.

Dude, double that :blink:

Here you go Simo:

$200-250 per month.

Dude, double that :blink:

yeah double that for sure. i buy a packet of dunhill blues 25 for $10.70 at my corner shop. i buy roughly 5 packets per week. so do the maths. thats alot of modifications money spent on durries.

I think the ultimate test is to be able to stand next to a smoker (or a group of smokers) and not be bothered about it.

Too many ex-smokers cannot stand the smell of 2nd hand smoke, they bitch and whine about how bad it is, blah blah. I reckon its only because part of them still wants one, but because they feel they cant, they get sh!tty.

Even people who have been non smokers all their lives dont bitch as much as ex-smokers when people are smoking in front of them.

I only took one puff and coughed my lungs out. Never ever got into them again after that. I have trouble breathing Sydney's polluted air already.

Same with beer. Drank one can, and couldn't see what the big deal was with it. In fact, it gave me the impression of drinking/tasting like urine - not that I have. You do feel odd when going to after work drinks or function, where everyone goes all out, and your on orange juice, soft drinks etc... I think this is one area where peer pressure hasn't gotten to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Im one day into no smoking, and because im on the patches last night I had really really ****** up dreams and didnt get a good kip in, feel like **** now :(

DAMN YOU DURRIES!!!!

Im one day into no smoking, and because im on the patches last night I had really really ****** up dreams and didnt get a good kip in, feel like **** now :(

DAMN YOU DURRIES!!!!

Then have 1 ciggy.

When i quit i bought a pack cos i really wanted one.

Then i gave the rest of the pack to my mate.

Few days later i wanted another one, so i did the same thing, bought a 25 pack, take one, then give it away.

3rd time around i got sick of buying smokes for a friends. So i stopped. LOL.

You dont think about spending money when you are consuming it. However giving it away is a totally different situation altogether.

For example, you got buy movie tickets that cost you $30, then you go have dinner. Just as you are about to leave dinner, you realised you've lost the tickets. At this point most ppl would get the sh!ts, and not want to go to the movie they feel stupid in paying for 2 sets of tickets.

However, if you didnt buy the tickets beforehand, and lost $30 cash. You would still be inclined to buy the tickets and watch the movie.

Financially you are no different either way, however because you actually bought the tickets and lost it, it makes you feel worse.

PS: The harder you fight it the temptation, the harder it fights back. Just have one, otherwise you will act like a complete prick to everyone around you cos you want one so bad.

Edited by neK