Anyone ever bought anything from these auctions ?

yep parents bought a 2005 v6 altise camry for 15gs only had 38,000ks on the clock...i think its good coz government cars are normally well looked after...just dont get the repossed or toyota, holden, ford fleet cars (i personally think those ones have been flogged)...only bad thing is you cant test drive...but u can start them up and basically chek out the whole car i reckon its a bargin...good luck its def worth a visit to check the cars out!!

yeah im just printing up some potential buys from their website ...... do they usually just auction them off in lot order sequentially ? or is it random lots ?

yeah im just printing up some potential buys from their website ...... do they usually just auction them off in lot order sequentially ? or is it random lots ?

when we were there it was random....bt ill give u a tip...dont bid at the start coz theres soo many ppl there....wait till middle and hopefully ur car will be up and ur sure to grab a bargin!!!! if i was u i wld jst go and check out the auctions before u pick ur fav...see how it works and right down the prices of the cars u wanted....every week they have similar model cars so dont worry if u think u missed out...hope tht helps

when we were there it was random....bt ill give u a tip...dont bid at the start coz theres soo many ppl there....wait till middle and hopefully ur car will be up and ur sure to grab a bargin!!!! if i was u i wld jst go and check out the auctions before u pick ur fav...see how it works and right down the prices of the cars u wanted....every week they have similar model cars so dont worry if u think u missed out...hope tht helps

well wat ive done is searched through their site for the auction i wanna go to ..... spotted out the stuff im interested in so ive printed it out and all im gonna do is write down what the stuff sells for .... then compare it to private sales, trading post etc and see if its on the money or not ..... and as u stated i just wanna check it out the 1st time as well ..... not interested in buying something just yet

Completely off topic but i was looking through that link and saw a VY SS commodore, completely nothing wrong with it, although it was stated as Not-registerable write off...why would that be??

Is this the one? link.

I'm curious now too. Did someones insurance accept a claim on an engine?

Completely off topic but i was looking through that link and saw a VY SS commodore, completely nothing wrong with it, although it was stated as Not-registerable write off...why would that be??

it is possibly a stolen car tht the police have repossed...i wouldnt buy from any other catalogue except the government commercial/passenger vehicles, those have been well looked after and serviced regularly and most of em r still under factory warranty...btw another similaR auction is http://www.pickles.com.au/

Is this the one? link.

i think it was stolen doesnt look like a write off or perhaps ur right abt the engine missing/ damage....

Is this the one? link.

i think it was stolen doesnt look like a write off or perhaps ur right abt the engine missing/ damage....

a high level definition of a stat right-off on page 3 of this pdf http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicationsstat...ds/45070618.pdf

i have a feeling if there is nothing wrong with the car from a damage perspective it might have been stat written off due to the risk of re-birthing as described in the pdf

however it would make for a nice paddock basher if the engine is fine .... lol ..... or a track car if it went cheap.

ok guys just got back as i was only going to have a look .... and ill be honest with u not bad at all with a few bargains going up for cheap as and a few where the bidders i think just burnt each other out to get the car .....

i managed to get some pricing down on paper for peoples reference .... below is the link to the catalog and a pic to show u some of the pricing ......

regarding the green monaro mentioned above there was nothing wrong with it physically other than a shattered windscreen ...... i think it was stat written off as suspected so it couldnt be re-birthed .... it was at the end of the auction and the sun was starting to warm up so sorry guys i only saw 2hrs of the 6+ hrs.

However lot 34 was interesting an XR5 turbo ..... went for $7.5k and im sure u would easily get it all repaired for a few grand ..... also a 07 rolla for $6K which im also sure would be on the road for a few grand as well.

Well i picked up a few tips ..... read through the auction catalog ur interested in at home on the net .... print out the pages for the cars ur interested in .... then do ur research on trading post etc to see what they go for on the road ..... this way u r going there well informed ..... as there was a lot of people who just seemed unsure or didnt know much ..... and the auction was done in sequence starting from 1 through to end.

As some of the cars cant be driven its a moving auction out in the sun so a hat, some shades and sunscreen is recommended if ur gonna stay all day .... hey people even had umbrellas.

(u might need to register with the site to see the catalog)

http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/find_buy/c...%2520Smithfield

auctions.jpg

bill i can't believe u didn't come to me first in regards to this. Where do u think we've bought all our cars from? Silly billy. That xr5 is a bit of a bargain, could probably repair for around the same as what it cost. Oh and the other stat write off would be a stolen and recovered as you have suggested. There will be something important missing from it.

I'm guessing you went to moorebank fowles auction site? You do need a hat. Is the kebab van still inside the auction ground? Typical hey :P

Oh and did u notice that they remove all compliance plates, gear knobs, and anything else u can fit in your pocket? I'll give u 1 guess why they do that.

Some auction places are dodgy though, just gotta be careful. My family usually goes to the pickles auction near kingsgrove when we are hunting for 2nd hand cars, and sometimes you can really really pick up a bargain!! Just don't get caught up with the whole auction thing or you could end up paying more and wasting your time.

We got a car for $23,500, that would've costed $36-39K on the market. The NRMA inspection report didn't report anything, and the RTA checked it out cause they were worried as to why it went for that price.

We drove that car for about 5 years and got it traded in for $21K, when it was time for a new vehicle!

Hey Bill. You can pick up a catalogue pricing list which list all the cars that sold in the last month including the prices they went for. They can be bought for around $7. Just in case you missed out on some prices on other cars you were interested in.

My parents bought an ex-government from Fowles here in Melbourne a few years back and it hasn't missed a beat. It was a VY Holden Calais.

These car auctions can be very addictive! I'm sure Micksta would know. He's the Car Auction King :P

Good luck on your purchase anyway man.

Hi Bill,

Yes I have bought a car from Fowles in Melbourne some years ago and it was a quite a good buy.

I also bought a car from Jupps in Melbourne and it ultimatly was a good experience but I took a few goes.

I have been amazed that the volume of product they are moving does sell.

I had serious questions about chronisim at Jupps with only the mates getting in a bid on rarer models models but that seemed to pass.

The prices seem to be basically trade cost. I was bidding on an almost new Ford Futura wagon that had been tree damaged in a storm and written off but was outbid by another privateer. All the panel beaters had fallen out of the ring by then. I saw 2 Ford focus models go for about $7000 with only minor damage to a front corner. these were cars with only 1000klm on the clock. if I was a bettewr opportunist maybe that could have been me.

Anywhay, if your interested I would recomment you go along 1 day and see the system before in operation before you get seroius.

there is a whole lot of psychology about auctions and you may not have success if you jump in. It dose take some time to understand how they work.

hi crowny,

yep thats why i actually went down yesterday ..... just so i can take a look and see how its all done ..... im also amazed at how quick they move from car to car to car ...... from what i could tell it didnt seem like there was any favoritism but then again u never know .....

yeah when im seriously in the market i'll be back out there looking for by run about ..... gonna wait and see how the sportivo holds up as my run about first.

Bill