Petrol Prices

speaking of petrol prices, why don't we start a thread of where we are spotting the cheapest fuel? kinda like a fuel watch. thoughts?

Then we would need one for each state.

I'm sure there websites that show that kind of info anyway :)

The only people who complain to me about petrol prices are the "battlers" who buy unleaded... They tend to be the same people who smoke and p!ss away half of their weekly budget and buy a king size Mars bar at the counter. Those buying 95 or 98 octane fuel have no problems, they've had to pay $1.50+ before.

LOL when they pay for the fuel do they go "******en, that one over there mate" and point at there car??

Seeing as Jimmy hasn't replied yet.... YES, we get that a lot. Furthermore, it is usually followed by " Aw, I need a receipt with that too" in a half aggressive tone. They then read the receipt on the way out, and chuck it out at the door... yeah right they "need" one. They are checking to see if we ripped them off or not at the counter.... haha, peasants.

And Suprathai, whats with the no searching for hookers? :P

haha, yeah i get that alot too, i also work in a petrol station, so many people are thinking we ripping them of "that price is not right, did u give me the 6 cents/L discount?" reads the receipt for 2 minutes and say" now, where's my discount!? it dont seem right"

i found that the people who complaint about the petrol prices are the middle age group, p platers dont really care they will put 20bucks worth of fuel regardless of the fuel price

and Leory dont think too much about all the math thing man, just add fuel in and enjoy, otherwise u mind as well ride a bike like mr2zz :lol:

haha, yeah i get that alot too, i also work in a petrol station, so many people are thinking we ripping them of "that price is not right, did u give me the 6 cents/L discount?" reads the receipt for 2 minutes and say" now, where's my discount!? it dont seem right"

i found that the people who complaint about the petrol prices are the middle age group, p platers dont really care they will put 20bucks worth of fuel regardless of the fuel price

and Leory dont think too much about all the math thing man, just add fuel in and enjoy, otherwise u mind as well ride a bike like mr2zz :lol:

Haha, I don't think too hard about maths...in fact that took some effort for me to work out - I try to avoid maths where possible :P

Seriously though, the point is not about being stingy over 500 bucks a year, but rather the ramifications of such increases.

Agreed, I don't think about the litres when I'm filling the car; I watch the price meter. That said, putting 20 bucks in my car at any one point, right now or especially in the near future, is not going to get me very far. I will have to do that twice a week in this case...

Which is where the maths came in.... 400 (or 1500) a year in fuel is not much in the grand scheme of things, perhaps; but would you tell me not to worry about it if my boss walked in and said "Leroy, your salary is being cut by 1500 a year"?? All of a sudden that amount seems huge, doesn't it... :mellow:

Edited by Leroy

Im not too fussed about the current priced of petrol.

Reason is i recently gave up smoking and have just given up drinking, this works out to be approx $6500 per year that i'll save. Now im going to sell my Sportivo and am going to treat myself to a nice big dirty pushrod V8 and work the tits off it. I figure if prices are getting bad now imagine what it'll be like in 10 years, better get my V8 before its too late.

A few bucks each fill up doesnt impact as much as $10 per pack of ciggies or $5 per pint.

The only people who complain to me about petrol prices are the "battlers" who buy unleaded... They tend to be the same people who smoke and p!ss away half of their weekly budget and buy a king size Mars bar at the counter. Those buying 95 or 98 octane fuel have no problems, they've had to pay $1.50+ before.

LOL when they pay for the fuel do they go "******en, that one over there mate" and point at there car??

Seeing as Jimmy hasn't replied yet.... YES, we get that a lot. Furthermore, it is usually followed by " Aw, I need a receipt with that too" in a half aggressive tone. They then read the receipt on the way out, and chuck it out at the door... yeah right they "need" one. They are checking to see if we ripped them off or not at the counter.... haha, peasants.

i so feel ya!!! i work at bp and get people trying to give me coles and woolies vouchers and asking me to give them 4 cents off. i keep saying that bp is independant and not associated with those grocery chains. then they demand i give them a discount. far out i don't even get 1 cent off myself and i work for them.

and i get yelled at all the time by people who drive those v8 cars cause they complain it cost them an arm and a leg to fill up. they dont understand that we don't control the price. and i reakon if they cant afford to fill it up they shouldn't have bought one in the first place.

last night we had an urgent message from head office telling us to put the price of ultimate up 2 cents so the difference between ultimate and unleaded was a whooping 13 cents a litre different. making our ultimate $1.60 a litre. so yeah imagine all the abuse i copped last night. normally when we get price changes all 3 types of unleaded either go up or down. but it was only our ultimates that went up.

oh and while im venting can i please also mention that i hate being yelled at cause of the night pay window. NO i will not let no one in after 10pm cause its for my OWN safety !! so everyone please don't ask to use the toilet or atm after 10 cause i aint letting you!!

*start rant*

I put it to you all this way, in a cars lifetime what makes it go, run efficiently and for lack of a better word, good.

Four things are required: Fuel, Water, Oil and Air . Take air for example its FREE, take Oil (depending on how anal you are about your engine and requirements) it's priced between $15-$75 (5L) ,unless your racing it, take Water although the sheer lack of it in our country its on the increase and getting cheaper, and OYG FUEL YES FUEL PEOPLE!!! Again relatively cheap over the lifetime of a vehicle, considering accidents and engine's needing work on them then you have panel rust etc...

Point is those four things have to be the cheapest things you can put into your car to lengthen its lifetime and increase performance. Not to mention it won't break the budget even if you are earning SFA.

*end rant*

A few bucks each fill up doesnt impact as much as $10 per pack of ciggies or $5 per pint.

EXACTLY! Thankyou Slurdog, this is my case in point. Now the other 50% of Australia who indulge in drinking and smoking should give up and they would all have ample money for small price rises. Not to mention the savings we will all get thanks to less strain on the health system from related illnesses.

M_M, Leroy and I totally feel your pain lol... people treat us the same! We don't accept discounts either, being independently owned. (it saves them less than $3 anyways)

Zeraph, another good argument! Awesome

Huge encouragement to Slurdog for giving up the poison! This is an example of a smart thing to do...

But, to Zeraph, as cheap as a car may be to run over its lifetime - refer to the post 5 above this one:

Forgetting petrol prices have even increased at all, what would your response be if your boss/the gov't turned to you and said "We're taking 1500 of your yearly salary?"

Now considering the petrol price increase again, what would you say if your boss not only said you're losing money, but the amount you would lose would increase by 12.5% each year?

Edited by Leroy

one day petrol prices will reach sky high as $2 per liter... hmm..

I will consider riding my bike to work. or maybe better to WALK

Dude when that day comes I'll take the trains to uni >< Even without the public transport subsidies (OMG int'l students don't get it...) it's still cheaper ><...

EXACTLY! Thankyou Slurdog, this is my case in point. Now the other 50% of Australia who indulge in drinking and smoking should give up and they would all have ample money for small price rises. Not to mention the savings we will all get thanks to less strain on the health system from related illnesses.

M_M, Leroy and I totally feel your pain lol... people treat us the same! We don't accept discounts either, being independently owned. (it saves them less than $3 anyways)

Zeraph, another good argument! Awesome

Jimmy, i completely agree with killing the tobacco and moonshine.

These are luxury goods though, that are not correlated to our survival. Petrol is an absolute necessity - without it, you cannot get to work, go shopping. The rest of the economy is dependent on people making money and being able to spend it... which they can't without the appropriate means of transport.

Petrol is an absolute necessity

I dont agree. There's always your legs.

OK then; I have to get up at half 3 to get to work on time... I may as well either not sleep, or simply just not turn up for work. Thats a great testament to your legs theory isn't it...

Even better... lets see what time YOU get to work tomorrow on foot. Even better again, lets see what time YOU have to get up in the morning to get to work in time.

Edited by Leroy

Yeah but Leroy, because of your circumstances you need fuel.

If I knew I had to use my legs to get to work (or a bike for that matter) I would simply work closer.

There is no answer to this argument which is what I am getting at. The only needs in this world are food water and shelter. Everything else is a want. Its a simple as that, but many people are ignorant of this fact, myself included.

So in short, I do not feel any sympathy for the general public because of the price of petrol. And nothing you can say will make me feel differently, because the general public does not deserve any sympathy, as much as you may think.

Yeah but Leroy, because of your circumstances you need fuel.

If I knew I had to use my legs to get to work (or a bike for that matter) I would simply work closer.

There is no answer to this argument which is what I am getting at. The only needs in this world are food water and shelter. Everything else is a want. Its a simple as that, but many people are ignorant of this fact, myself included.

So in short, I do not feel any sympathy for the general public because of the price of petrol. And nothing you can say will make me feel differently, because the general public does not deserve any sympathy, as much as you may think.

Oh for crying out loud... yes, you're right (sarcasm). We live in a complete subsistence environment still, where all we do is hunt and sleep. We don't have a need for air conditioners, fridges, heavy machinery or computers. How silly of me to have forgotten that....

I understand, in pure form, that as creatures all we need is food and water. But the fact of the matter is, that is not the world either of us live in. To be quite honest, Micky, I reckon you would go absolutely nuts if your flash car and flash mobile phone and the like were all of a sudden taken away from you; and you yourself just claimed ignorance to that!! That's really constructive... In fact, when was the last time you walked down to the shops for a pizza - rather than drove?

I also completely agree that there is no easy solution to the petrol debate. But seriously, you are simply sounding like a vindictive middle class child! Your argument thus far has been "I hate the public! Because I have to pay for vortex 98, everyone else should have to pay that too!!"

Take away the fact that you are in a public service position (where you have the luxury of transferring work location while retaining your job), where are you going to work in the event you do have to use your legs?? Do you just expect that your salary will remain the same?

Using your logic of changing jobs, your own parents business would cease to operate ever again, simply because no-one lives anywhere near it!!!! But hey, you probably don't care about that either...

Let's go back to the notion of everything being a want... if you want to still be able to buy your luxury goods, you need petrol. Goods cannot be produced, distributed, and sold, without fuel. But hey, apparently we only need food, water, and shelter... So it's not going to bother you then if fuel prices are passed onto you via other charges other than those at the pump. Furthermore, it shouldn't bother you at all then (in the extreme) if you are never able to acquire any luxury good ever again!!

Unfortunately, petroleum fuels are the backbone fuel of this and the rest of the world's economies.

Unfortunately, you - just as I - are part of the general public. No matter how elite either of us think we are, we still have to pay the same prices they do. All you are doing is dooming yourself to higher prices everywhere with that attitude. I do not feel sympathy, as you put it, for the general public. But I do, however, take umbrage to the exploiting of everyday necessities for abnormal profits. Do not, for a moment, think that you do not use fuel for the same purposes as I...or the general public 'scum'...

Grow up a bit.

Edited by Leroy

wow you totally missed my point!!! Nice rant though, i'm impressed.

Just to refresh your memory....

Its a simple as that, but many people are ignorant of this fact, myself included.

I agree with most of what you have said, you mistook me taking the role of a devils advocate for those being my personal thoughts. You've kinda gone a little nuts in that post, obviously I have touched a nerve. You're still going on about my first post about the price of regular unleaded is now the same as 98, which i had admitted numerous times was a complete joke. Honestly, I really am not that stupid. Come on, you are studying business at uni still, you should have learnt that at the very basis of life, all you need to survive is food, water and shelter. This is a complete truth, as it ignores any feelings whatsoever. If you simply wanted to stay alive, nothing else is required. Once you move past this (as logic and reality assumes one would) you start getting into wants. Once you factor in current society and emotions, some of these wants do indeed become needs.

What I am really getting at is that as a whole, society is a bunch of whingers, yourself and myself included. Nothing is ever good enough for anyone in society, everyone still feels that they have a right to complain about whatever they want to complain about, and that is the whole problem with society. I have never, ever complained about the price of fuel, simply because I have a greater understanding of how the price of fuel is calculated than an ordinary member of the public. The only gripe I have is what I have stated; that people clearly believe they have a right to complain when simply they do not.

Why should I have sympathy for people who just complain? There is nothing I or anyone else in this world can do to change the fact, so I ask again, what is the point in complaining? But then again, I'm just a stupid public servant who needs to grow up a little....

excuse me while I fill up my gas guzzling vehicle with high quality fuel that I paid for with my highly inflated government salary.

Wait... I didnt hear a complaint.... interesting.

/thread

lol i luv those guys with the fuel vouches ....its LIKE ITS ONLY FKIN 4cents!! if u fill up with 50 litres thts like only 2bucks...all u can do is buy a mars bar....****...

I have never, ever complained about the price of fuel, simply because I have a greater understanding of how the price of fuel is calculated than an ordinary member of the public. The only gripe I have is what I have stated; that people clearly believe they have a right to complain when simply they do not.

Ok Ok, I apologise somewhat for the fiery retort... :rolleyes: Especially the end bit...

Anyhow...

I guess the point I am trying to make, but instead get angry over, is that YES I do agree people have no concept over who sets prices etc etc.

But regardless of how it is set, it is a cost that need not increase at the rate it has.

Yes people will whinge over everything, thats a given... But I just urge you not to throw everyone into the basket of 'general public' because, in this case, they are whinging because it legitimately hurts.

As I have pointed out in a previous thread, the current 12.4% per year increase is at least double any interest you can earn on your savings. And that is only getting worse.