Petrol Prices

Hey people i see you are probably going to pay higher prices on fuel, here in the Uk we pay 2.30683 AUD per litre. I would love to be paying the prices you guys & gals pay!! Our prices are still on the increase too :-(

Also what do you all tend to spend on a weekely basis? I spend on average 223.844 AUD

Please remember too that

a) generally in the UK, the average weekly milage done is WAY less than that of an Aussie Driver

B) More people in the UK take public transport/ride/walk to work or other destinations than Aussies

c) Public Transport in London works and is relatively affordable (come try public transport in Brisbane)

Not saying that our petrol prices aren't worth whinging about or anything, but there are many factors involved, and my grip is that when US West Texan Crude goes up, our petrol prices go up, even though the fuel we get in Australia has nothing to do with US oil and our prices are based on SIngapore markets.

At the end of the day, it is a necessary evil and drivers winging about it will never fix it.... covnert to vege oil I say

Hey people i see you are probably going to pay higher prices on fuel, here in the Uk we pay 2.30683 AUD per litre. I would love to be paying the prices you guys & gals pay!! Our prices are still on the increase too :-(

Also what do you all tend to spend on a weekely basis? I spend on average 223.844 AUD

us Aussies are the 4th cheapest in the world we need to hardern the ***** up! lol

The only people who complain to me about petrol prices are the "battlers" who buy unleaded... They tend to be the same people who smoke and p!ss away half of their weekly budget and buy a king size Mars bar at the counter. Those buying 95 or 98 octane fuel have no problems, they've had to pay $1.50+ before.

The only people who complain to me about petrol prices are the "battlers" who buy unleaded... They tend to be the same people who smoke and p!ss away half of their weekly budget and buy a king size Mars bar at the counter. Those buying 95 or 98 octane fuel have no problems, they've had to pay $1.50+ before.

Actually, I disagree Jimmy... I work there and sometimes I feel plain bad charging people that much, even though we don't have any control on price. We are but middlemen... Even I hate filling up (but I am poor....thank chr1st I don't drink or smoke)

Most of our clientele who buy 95 or 98 are cashed up, and have read into their cashed up cars... but how often do you see some middle class schmo in a BMW or WRX rock up and they simply put unleaded in? Often. Why (besides being uneducated in fuel efficiency)?? Because unleaded has always been the cheapest, and they continue that spending pattern even though they can now afford a better car... Now that unleaded is 1.50 a litre, what mental reasoning is going to push them to buy something they already thought prohibitively expensive?

Battlers always whinge, I hate whinging bogans more than you do I'm sure... but this isn't child support we're talking. We all drive. Please excuse my potentially dodgy maths herein... (not my strongest subject, lol)

Take the difference between the recent 1.30 to the now 1.50. If i used to best part of fill my tank each week on my budget (say 40 litres a week) the two unleaded prices = $52 and $60 respectively. $8 more per week on plain unleaded. Over a year (without any trips, just keeping my 40L a week) that is $416. That could be the kids christmas presents, or a coffee session a week with friends.

Now take that $416 difference and assume the price of 1.50 remains constant for 5 years.... $2080 extra you have paid just on fuel over that time. That doesn't seem so much; but what are the chances that price will remain constant for that long? Best part of none! We whinged at 1.30 during the 06/07 financial year... only 5 years before that, prices averaged 0.80 per litre (Toth, 2006 - Yes I'm citing)!!! Thats a 62% price increase in 5 yrs! Have your wages increased that much in 5 yrs? HELL NO!!

So lets make that an average of 12.4% per year - if this trend continues. Do you earn 12.4% interest on any back account? If you do, let me know your bank, for i would like to speak with them about opening an account. Currently, most decent accounts earn you around 6%. So per year, the price of fuel is increasing at roughly double the rate that your wallet is. Using a simple future valuation formula (FV = PV (1+r)), this is the comparison.

The year after current 1.50 prices: FV = 416 x 1.124 = 467.58. That is an additional 51.84 dollars more in fuel.

Your potential bank balance = 416 x 1.06 = 440.96 = 24.96 earned.

So, assuming I've used this formula in the right context (which I probably haven't :P - either way, I feel you get my point by now), your bank would give you $25 interest on that $416 you could have used elsewhere. You, however, end up having to spend that interest payment, plus an additional $25 to cover the cost of the fuel increase in a year.

Who's whinging now Jimmy? :yahoo:

Edited by Leroy

Imagine how cheaper fuel would be if we didn't pay a massive tax on it.

The excise tax on commonly used fuels in Australia as of June 2006 are as follows:

$0.38143 per litre on Unleaded Petrol fuel (Includes standard, blended (E10) and premium grades)

$0.38143/0.40143 per litre on Diesel fuel (Ultra-low sulphur/Conventional)

$0.00 (Excise-Free) per litre on Liquified petroleum gas used as fuel (Autogas or LPG as it is commonly known in Australia)

$0.38143 per litre on Ethanol fuel (Can be reduced/removed via Grants)

$0.38143 per litre on Biodiesel (Can be reduced/removed via Grants)

This does not included GST, on top

Edited by Adrian

Imagine how much more **** our roads would be if we didn't pay tax on fuel...

agreed.

You cant single out a particular area of blame for the price of petrol.

And Azza (from a much much earlier post :P), you need to remember that even though our market doesnt directly relate to the US oil price, it still impacts on the world supply and demand of crude oil, therefore the prices will always be relative to each other.

LOL when they pay for the fuel do they go "******en, that one over there mate" and point at there car??

Imagine how much more **** our roads would be if we didn't pay tax on fuel...

Imagine how much better our roads would be if all this fuel tax went to the roads ....

Now if only the public transporti system became more efficient. Maybe thats why I'm not keen on going to cruises that often...petrol is expensive. But you gotta pay to play right??

My missus has no problems with me modifying my car etc....I don't smoke, drink, gamble or search for hookers.....Gotta spend my money somewhere :D

LOL when they pay for the fuel do they go "******en, that one over there mate" and point at there car??

Seeing as Jimmy hasn't replied yet.... YES, we get that a lot. Furthermore, it is usually followed by " Aw, I need a receipt with that too" in a half aggressive tone. They then read the receipt on the way out, and chuck it out at the door... yeah right they "need" one. They are checking to see if we ripped them off or not at the counter.... haha, peasants.

And Suprathai, whats with the no searching for hookers? :P

Do they give you the ol "OW YA GOIN BLOKE!" on the top of there voice on the way to the fridges to see what deals are on with coke???

Occasionally, yes. Most people are completely "in the zone" when they walk in, like they are on a mission.

And speaking of hookers, one came into work at half six this morning!! Fuel, pineapple flavoured H2Go, and fruit tingles. I even got a 60 cent tip...I must have been one of the best she's had, LOL!

I guess the phrase I'm looking for is "sleeping around" rather then hookers....not that there is any need to search, I know where they all are. My clients use to talk about it all the time, bloody hell. BTW I'm not a hooker lol.

If your from HK or speak cantonese then its a very familiar phrase.

"I don't smoke, don't drink, don't gamble and also do not sleep around"

Not that there is anything wrong with all that... :D

Simple things such as bringing your lunch instead of eating out will save you quite a bit of money each week.

Petrol is given, I don't see the point in complaining as it doesn't really change anything.

Leroy your points are valid and your arithmetic is sound but you forgot to add up how much they spend on cigarettes and alcohol, two heavily taxed consumer goods that are arguably (note: addiction) not required for everyday living. All I'm saying is, if they're going to take time out of our day to annoy the fluck out of us with their whinging about something that takes an extra $8 per week then they should first alter their own consumption decisions so that their entire budget is spent sensibly (one packet of cigarettes is more than $8 and they smoke a pack a day). I still maintain they don't really care about their extra $8 per week, they just want to gripe at the bloke at the counter. Must be said that many unsuspecting b!tchy customers have been torched at the hands of particular blokes at our counter :P :P :P

In terms of the excise tax I've said before that governments will never lower taxes on goods with inelestic demand. Search for that post in the other fuel price gripe thread. Another thing to note is that the general public don't seem to know that fuel is taxed so heavily. I tried to explain it to a bloke from QLD the other day, then told him about the state govt subsidy in QLD, and it blew his mind... He didn't understand.

Another valid point from Dylan/Adrian about where the tax is spent but that's a-whole-nother story! Haha.

Simo OMG I am the king of "How ya gaaarn mate" and "too easy" and "have a good wun"... But after the past 3 nights working Summernats weekend if I see another drunk sunburnt Ford/Holden driving bogan I will f**king shoot them.

DUDE 2 x 2L Coke varieties on special for $6 with a free beach bag... grouse!

Leroy your points are valid and your arithmetic is sound but you forgot to add up how much they spend on cigarettes and alcohol, two heavily taxed consumer goods that are arguably (note: addiction) not required for everyday living. All I'm saying is, if they're going to take time out of our day to annoy the fluck out of us with their whinging about something that takes an extra $8 per week then they should first alter their own consumption decisions so that their entire budget is spent sensibly (one packet of cigarettes is more than $8 and they smoke a pack a day). I still maintain they don't really care about their extra $8 per week, they just want to gripe at the bloke at the counter. Must be said that many unsuspecting b!tchy customers have been torched at the hands of particular blokes at our counter :P :P :P

Torched? By you? What did they touch your hair? Haha...like i can talk :P

I still maintain my argument above... and its not necessarily 8 quid a week either. Thats in my corolla. What if they put in 60-80L per week in a commodore, for instance? What if they fill up more than once a week? $8 could turn into something astounding! That could be over a thousand extra per year!

I do agree, however, that most of the scumbos at work should probably cut out the drinking and smoking...save themselves 15k a year.

That said, most of them rent, I'm sure. Which means the middle(ish) classes should be most concerned with the petrol price increase. Why? Because rent does not incur an interest payment. Say the bogans pay 350 a week rent on a 300,000 dollar house. The mortgage holders would probably also be paying that - but take into account the effect of compounded interest in the long run - which brings me back to my maths (for which i will spare you....)

Edited by Leroy

My property is probably one quarter the size of the UK hahaheheheh, Suburbs in Australia are larger than most countries!

Now to the point.

I have no choice but to use a vehciles as I live approximately 50 - 60 klms (one way) from the CDB, as house prices are rediculasly high, and could not afford anything closer. Even if petrol prices hit $2-3 per litre, over 30-40+ years its still cheaper to live where I am.

I travel on average 80 - 100klms per day for work purposes only, plus another 100klms +/- per week for erins. I average 600 - 700klms per week that costs me close to $85 per week (at current prices) for the st1vo.

Public transport, what public transport? The bus station is a 20 minute walk, train station dido. Bus and Train comes every hour and its NOT available 24/7, and absolutely packed every times, and most peoples in the area can't fit!

The Public Transport in Melbourne is crap and there has been no MAJOR infrastructure spending into transport, roads, electricity or water in over 30 years, no sh1at we are in trouble and forced to used automobiles. Then the excuses start from the government.

Hence the cry of petrol prices, when the rise. A bike will take me hours to get into work, carrying paperwork, laptops etc, forget it! Bl00dy green1es! No friggen clues me thinks!

Edited by omn1potent