Sat Nav or TomTom?

clementwcm

I'm looking around for good 07 model deals on the ZR6 at the moment and have been given some reasonable quotes on models with the moon-roof but without the Sat Nav. It appears that there are not many 07 ZR6s with the Sat Nav available at the moment. I'm now considering giving up on the Sat Nav altogether as I'm not sure whether they are worth the extra 3-4k. For below 1k I can now get quite a capable third-party GPS unit (e.g. TomTom), probably with more flexibility as well. I'm after some opinion as to whether I should pursue getting a ZR6 with factory Sat Nav or not...What are the advantages of the factory Sat Nav versus TomTom (cosmetic aside)...

Edited by clementwcm

I'm looking around for good 07 model deals on the ZR6 at the moment and have been giving some reasonable quotes on models with the moon-roof but without the Sat Nav. It appears that there are not many 07 ZR6s with the Sat Nav available at the moment. I'm now considering giving up on the Sat Nav altogether as I'm not sure whether they are worth the extra 3-4k. For below 1k I can now get quite a capable third-party GPS unit (e.g. TomTom), probably with more flexibility as well. I'm after some opinion as to whether I should pursue getting a ZR6 with factory Sat Nav or not...What are the advantages of the factory Sat Nav versus TomTom (cosmetic aside)...

Built in ones are much harder to steal and sell off. But are generally not as good as 3rd party ones.

3rd party ones a very easy to steal, if you get one, never leave any signs that your car has one. Don't leave the mount on the window, don't leave a charger there. Make sure its all hidden well. Can also be changed from car to car.

I'm looking around for good 07 model deals on the ZR6 at the moment and have been giving some reasonable quotes on models with the moon-roof but without the Sat Nav. It appears that there are not many 07 ZR6s with the Sat Nav available at the moment. I'm now considering giving up on the Sat Nav altogether as I'm not sure whether they are worth the extra 3-4k. For below 1k I can now get quite a capable third-party GPS unit (e.g. TomTom), probably with more flexibility as well. I'm after some opinion as to whether I should pursue getting a ZR6 with factory Sat Nav or not...What are the advantages of the factory Sat Nav versus TomTom (cosmetic aside)...

Built in ones are much harder to steal and sell off. But are generally not as good as 3rd party ones.

3rd party ones a very easy to steal, if you get one, never leave any signs that your car has one. Don't leave the mount on the window, don't leave a charger there. Make sure its all hidden well. Can also be changed from car to car.

In my opinion, I rather get 3rd party GPS+Bluetooth such as tomtom or Mio c520.

I don't think the factory sat nav has voice guidance text to speech (telling you the street name), but I could be wrong if toyota has update recently, can any one confirm this?

I bought mio c520 (gps & bluetooth) and very happy with the product for around $400, you get car charger and home charger as well and you can unlock the device so you can watch the video, ebook, word, excel, powerpoint, read pdf etc. Those extra benefits for you, eventhough I seldom use it but I would like to watch the video while waiting in the car (not while driving though). Furthermore, you can update minor map , red light and speed camera for free and...if you use a lot of calls, there is a feature for answering the call in 3 secs or 6 secs etc without doing anything.

Yes, you can have added security as well but probably the thief will know how to by pass the password I guess since he/she wants to steal it and know the product.

So far I leave the mount on the window but I lock the gps or bring it with me but....if bad luck then you need to replace the broken window by the thief and probably damage the storage as well if you lock it because the thief might try to open it. Maybe leave it open so you only lose the broken window without replace the storage I guess....

Anyway, with or without GPS, any desperate thief will try to break someone car....

The plus side, you can use this GPS third party (c520) for walking/bush walking, listen to music or watch video etc...

I guess it is all depend on your needs and purpose...

In my opinion, I rather get 3rd party GPS+Bluetooth such as tomtom or Mio c520.

I don't think the factory sat nav has voice guidance text to speech (telling you the street name), but I could be wrong if toyota has update recently, can any one confirm this?

I bought mio c520 (gps & bluetooth) and very happy with the product for around $400, you get car charger and home charger as well and you can unlock the device so you can watch the video, ebook, word, excel, powerpoint, read pdf etc. Those extra benefits for you, eventhough I seldom use it but I would like to watch the video while waiting in the car (not while driving though). Furthermore, you can update minor map , red light and speed camera for free and...if you use a lot of calls, there is a feature for answering the call in 3 secs or 6 secs etc without doing anything.

Yes, you can have added security as well but probably the thief will know how to by pass the password I guess since he/she wants to steal it and know the product.

So far I leave the mount on the window but I lock the gps or bring it with me but....if bad luck then you need to replace the broken window by the thief and probably damage the storage as well if you lock it because the thief might try to open it. Maybe leave it open so you only lose the broken window without replace the storage I guess....

Anyway, with or without GPS, any desperate thief will try to break someone car....

The plus side, you can use this GPS third party (c520) for walking/bush walking, listen to music or watch video etc...

I guess it is all depend on your needs and purpose...

ive just recently bought the factory sat nav system for my zr6. i havent received it yet and its quite good as its an original sat nav and has good features like bluetooth usb entrances etc. but the only thing is that it doesnt play dvds. if money is no problem, i would recommend the original thing imo as im more into things that look stock in cars. tomtoms are really great too and if you dont care about the way it looks in your car, get the tomtom. features wise im not sure how they go head to head but the original sat nav unit can get upgraded software wise so its really upto how much you want to spend on it. ill be very happy when i receive mine as its a factory sat nav and has loads of features. only if it played dvds. but that can get done for a couple of hundred bucks i guess.

I am giving thought into buying a OEM look unit. This one seems to be a good price too:

http://www.cool-sale.com/1069_Roadrover-Ca...-(A2270CM).html

Thanks for the link. But can we trust them? They even spell the CAMRY like this: This products use for TOYOTA CAMERY only

BH

It is also most likely going to be cheap nasty rubbish.

Lol that camery one is rubbish, heard someone bought one of those all in one the picture was horrible, colour was saturated and you couldnt view it from any angle except straight on.

Going back to the original question, its all about what you like your car to look at the end of the day, if your very serious on making your car look OEMish or smick tidy all round and money is no object then go for the $3k GPS unit, but by comparison to a flagship 700 dollar unit it will do less, and upgrading maps could be more tricky. and plus yeah no dvd.

I have a navman s80 and does the job for me, as long you dont leave any signs that u have a gps unit in the car e.g. suction marks or leaving the holder on screen then you should be fine...

• 7 months later...

Well..Dpending on the purpose of what u gonna use ur GPS for..

For me, 1st and primary reason, for street directions. Secondly, for Camera LOCATIONS.

Obviously the Factory standards dont provide this n so far, nothin can be done... Ah well..

Should probably bear with this... :lol:

hmmm.... well, for me... ill choose the 3rd party ones... first of all, its mobile... if u have more than 2 cars.. u can just take it off and use it on other car.....

im using the Navman S30 now... its a small cheap device... but im loving it... it gets me anywhere... very quick processor and quite cheap.. u can get it smthing like $250ish now... shopfront...... i dunno, but i love the navman better... probably just for the map program that they are using... its easier to use and it navigates better :)

anyway, just my 5 cents :D

For me, 1st and primary reason, for street directions. Secondly, for Camera LOCATIONS.

Obviously the Factory standards dont provide this n so far, nothin can be done... Ah well..

Does camera locations refer to only red light cameras?

If you could pick up speed cameras and radars indefinitely that would be frkn awesome! :D

Does camera locations refer to only red light cameras?

If you could pick up speed cameras and radars indefinitely that would be frkn awesome! :D

Nope...When i mentioned Cameras, that's mainly Red light and Speed cameras. Not 2 sure about Bus lane Cameras..

Note: There's no GPS with the position of Officers holding Speed Guns.. We wish.. :P

all these about suction holder and hiding the navi, i left the holder and navi in the car, parked at train station everyday till 3-4 evening, STILL NOT STOLEN... <_< so, i think it is only for cars parked in the late nights..

if u hv the money, go for the toyota, better signal, and LOOK better than something stuck onto the front windscreen.. also wider/bigger screen?

if u can connect to the car speaker, u get better sound and auto pause music playing when the navi speaks? (i have, but i unplug the cable)

if it also connect to the speedo, then u can even get better location or calculation of where u are, even in tunnels.. (tat's wat i love)

but again, it is a luxury that u hv to consider, coz everytime u update a map, cost u around $300+

good luck~ :lol:

btw, let me tell a little bout my setting, i have both in the car, just in case~

toyota's even if they have safety POI, it wont be shown, no matter how. Tat's why i get another one, wiring hidden, put near te cigarate lighter, for listen the 'ding ding' sound only when i m close to safety cams..

all these about suction holder and hiding the navi, i left the holder and navi in the car, parked at train station everyday till 3-4 evening, STILL NOT STOLEN... <_< so, i think it is only for cars parked in the late nights..

if u hv the money, go for the toyota, better signal, and LOOK better than something stuck onto the front windscreen.. also wider/bigger screen?

if u can connect to the car speaker, u get better sound and auto pause music playing when the navi speaks? (i have, but i unplug the cable)

if it also connect to the speedo, then u can even get better location or calculation of where u are, even in tunnels.. (tat's wat i love)

but again, it is a luxury that u hv to consider, coz everytime u update a map, cost u around $300+

good luck~ :lol:

btw, let me tell a little bout my setting, i have both in the car, just in case~

toyota's even if they have safety POI, it wont be shown, no matter how. Tat's why i get another one, wiring hidden, put near te cigarate lighter, for listen the 'ding ding' sound only when i m close to safety cams..

How much u bought ur 2ndary one? Im thinkin of gettin 1 too..

I only need the 'ding dong' sound, so the size and and stuff shouldnt matter @ all...

All that matter is the sound & the lowest price as possible

Hey clementwcm,

I agree with a lot of the comments already - in that it all depends on the look your going for.

If you really want OEM-styling then there are other options on ebay as well for around $800 instead of the $3k factory one.

If not - then you really have to do some research before buying one.

I went for a tomtom yea - and loved it to begin with - the actual maps, user-interface, ease-of-use, portability between cars etc and would def recommend the tomtoms with text-to-speech (as in spoken street names) and bluetooth.

However recently I've been having an issue when I run late, where I actually forget to bring my tomtom with me yea.

Like sometimes you know how to get to the first place your heading to - but if plans change - and for some reason the gps isn't with you (another car/forgot it) you'll be needing to pull out your map which gets pretty annoying after a while.

I'm considering getting a higher end GPS - like a pioneer AVIC - as they are decent head units, play dvds, have bluetooth as well as gps - and would look tidier in comparison to the tomtom.

Good luck though

http://members.optusnet.com.au/auspacks/productPage9.html

this is seems to be the go for after market options?

I remember some1 went with that Product. The interface and stuff reminds me of this topic been covered somewhere in the forum. If u wanna give it a shot on that 1, try finding out who got that and compare to the available options u looking for.

That web didnt give the quoted price though..

VF-X: if u only wan 'ding dong', i think $150 posted is what u can get from ebay.. or, what my gf prefer, install garmin map on mobile phone with navigation function.. FREE~ but i chosen the $150, coz navi on phone eats the battery up quick.. <_<

if anyone wanna go for higher end, i might be selling my alpine w202 with blaupunkt travelpilot navi, v14 CD soon.. coz getting the avic from a mate(if i dont buy coilovers for aurion) :D

well considering you can get a sub $300 GPS with

*spoken street name

*camera locations

*media player

functionality wise the $3k factory unit is left for the dead

you could get after market units

much better (see godly bang for buck $900 Auspack)

but still features are not as updated

I mean, does the Auspack support TMC traffic?

actually I want buy a new GPS

looking for the cheapest unit with traffic and spoken street name

I see a TomTom and a Mio

dash unit are of course great for security

some would say its wise to wipe the suction cup marks, let alone leave the suction cup behind

great for size too

its rare to find a portable at 7" or 9"

but screen position is a worry

you take your eye right off the road to take a glance at the screen

I guess this is why some luxury cars have a pull out GPS screen

so regardless of your needs, its stupid to buy the factory unit

Edited by tekkyy

well considering you can get a sub $300 GPS with

*spoken street name

*camera locations

*media player

functionality wise the $3k factory unit is left for the dead

you could get after market units

much better (see godly bang for buck $900 Auspack)

but still features are not as updated

I mean, does the Auspack support TMC traffic?

actually I want buy a new GPS

looking for the cheapest unit with traffic and spoken street name

I see a TomTom and a Mio

dash unit are of course great for security

some would say its wise to wipe the suction cup marks, let alone leave the suction cup behind

great for size too

its rare to find a portable at 7" or 9"

but screen position is a worry

you take your eye right off the road to take a glance at the screen

I guess this is why some luxury cars have a pull out GPS screen

so regardless of your needs, its stupid to buy the factory unit

Well, Dpending on when u got it...

If u got it sometime last year, the GPS units werent as cheap as todays'

+ For me, i bought the factory on a very good deal compared to others that i asked of.

So yea, all good. Just disappointed for the blocked camera features.

VF-X: if u only wan 'ding dong', i think $150 posted is what u can get from ebay.. or, what my gf prefer, install garmin map on mobile phone with navigation function.. FREE~ but i chosen the $150, coz navi on phone eats the battery up quick.. <_<

if anyone wanna go for higher end, i might be selling my alpine w202 with blaupunkt travelpilot navi, v14 CD soon.. coz getting the avic from a mate(if i dont buy coilovers for aurion) :D

Dannywss, Can PM me a link to this item u talkin about?

Thx

Dannywss, Can PM me a link to this item u talkin about?

Thx

i dont get it, which one u wanna know more on? the ebay or blau?

tekkyy: if buying the built-in is noobie, i rather b stupid as.. ;)