Where to mount my gauges?

I just got a set of three 52mm gauges and I was wondering what would be the best place to mount them without getting in trouble with the cops??

At the moment I only really need to mount one gauge, water temp. I was wondering would mounting it ontop of the steering column be alright??

From what I have read, it either varies from state to state or not at all.

This is what I've gathered from so far all over the big internet, which IMHO not very accurate at all at times.

1. Gauges when mounted are not allowed to be above the dash or in a crash impact zone.

2. Gauges cannot be mounted higher then the steering wheel, so with an A-Pillar your stuck with one gauge possibly.

3. Gauges must not be mounted in a way that they protrude from the dash padding.

So that leaves me with trying (have to think of something) to mount above the spare DIN with a bit of fiddling or relocate the HU to the below to the CD compartment.

Cheers

sorry to side track this topic but does anyone have a guide on where exactly connect wires comming from the gauges. wouldnt mind putting in a few gauges like bills setup but wouldnt have the slitest clue on how to wire them up. anyone want to shed some light please?

Basically there are two type of gauges, electrical and mechanical.

For example, and Oil Temp Gauge

Electrical - Uses an external sensor that is hooked up to the sandwich plate that taps into the oil filter

Mechanical - Run an oil line to the gauge itself

Of course in the event of an accident, the possibly of hot oil splashing all over you with the mechanical gauge during impact is greater.

Yeah the DEFI DIN gauge works very well, I did consider that until I found out the price :(

Being the rice boy that I am, I like the gauges that I've got. For an n/a street car, gauges are only for rice factor.

I might consider the relocation Idea for the time being. Time to do some more research. Either that Or I will try to make the 52mm gauges fit with the HU into the small space. I'm sure I can get it done, just hope I don't brake anything thats all....

I believe this is what rollamods is talking about... It is possible and is not hard to fit.

I have the 3 gauges in the din slot, and one 60mm and one 52mm on the A pillar.

The gauge holders/pods were all my handy DIY jobs.

post-355-1208690090_thumb.jpg

post-355-1208690103_thumb.jpg

Basically there are two type of gauges, electrical and mechanical.

For example, and Oil Temp Gauge

Electrical - Uses an external sensor that is hooked up to the sandwich plate that taps into the oil filter

Of course in the event of an accident, the possibly of hot oil splashing all over you with the mechanical gauge during impact is greater.

Yeah the DEFI DIN gauge works very well, I did consider that until I found out the price :(

Being the rice boy that I am, I like the gauges that I've got. For an n/a street car, gauges are only for rice factor.

I might consider the relocation Idea for the time being. Time to do some more research. Either that Or I will try to make the 52mm gauges fit with the HU into the small space. I'm sure I can get it done, just hope I don't brake anything thats all....

ok. sounds quite easy but with the other gauges how exactly would i connect them.

ok. sounds quite easy but with the other gauges how exactly would i connect them.

What do you mean how do you connect them??

For both mechanical and electronic gauges just run the sender wires/mechanical sender (tube) through the firewall (there are several places where you can get through the firewall), then just connect up to gauges. Its the same for both DIN or A-Pillar mountings. The control unit for electronic gauges will fit nicely behind the gauges.

I believe this is what rollamods is talking about... It is possible and is not hard to fit.

We have the same HU!!!

I tried mounting something like that. How did you secure it from the back?? I have a single DIN gauge holder but it doesn't excatly fit properly.

Some pointers would be nice for a blind goof like me

i never knew there were rules about mounting guages, will have to check it out..

i was just going to mount mine on top of the dash above the stereo, facing driver side of course but in a way cant be bothered.. might sell if anyone wants them

i never knew there were rules about mounting guages, will have to check it out..

i was just going to mount mine on top of the dash above the stereo, facing driver side of course but in a way cant be bothered.. might sell if anyone wants them

what kind of gauges are they. you got any pics. might be interested.

If anyone is interested in a set of greddy gauges like the ones in my din slot, those exact 3, let me know.

yeah i might be interested. have you got all the sensors aswell? and what kinda price you after?

Thats why you don't have mechanical gauges mounted in the cabin and why the hot rodders have them on the bonnet.

Sinan: As for getting wires through the firewall, I just go through the air-con condensation drip hose in the passenger foot well. If you pull the carpet back it is easy to spot. It is also possible to fit 2 52mm gauges in the coin holder next to your right knee.

i like the one mounted on the side..real neat..how did u do that??

Installation of sensors are very very easy.

With the water temp, you just buy a connection that taps into your radiator hose (available at autobarn). So a bit of draining and cutting and tightening of hose clamps

Oil temp and pressure - You just connect the sensor to and oil sandwich plate (I think autobarn as well). Which means removing oil filter, screwing on sandwich plate, screwing on oil filter + screwing on sensors.

With both instance, you just have to run the sensor lines through one of the available grommets in the firewall.

For Power, Ignition and Dimming signals I tapped into my stereo harness.

So all in all a bit of cutting, soldering and plenty of screwing :rolleyes:

I like running the looms out the side of the bay and up inside the top of the wheel well ziptied to the stock looms, and then though the very large rubber grommets that lead into the kickpanel area. For the power/illumination etc I tap off the back of the clock plug, all the wires you need are there and labelled on the back of the clock.