Fuel Consumption

kiwis rose

I have only had my Rav4 for a month now and done one fuel consumption rating in that time based on short trips to town with city driving.

I have done a couple of longer trips on the current tank and will post up when I fill again.

I would like to know what everyone else is getting out of their Ravs. Please state year, model and if auto or manual. Thanks. :D

For those who don't know how to calculate this, you might find this link handy: http://home.iprimus.com.au/foo7/fuel.html

2007 Cruiser Auto 11.73ltrs/100km

Second fill I got 10.11ltrs/100km Half of the distance in highway driving.

Third fill I got 9.8 ltrs/100kms. Two thirds highway driving. Notice a pattern here.......?

Edited by kiwis rose

2008 Cruiser Auto, a touch over 10 litres per 100 km for mostly city driving if i am VERY lightfooted... no make that EXTREMELY light footed... more like around 11 litres per 100 km for mostly city driving if i drive without worry quite so much. i am really very happy with that. my previous car was a mazda3 sp23 and i didn't do much better with it despite it being a lot smaller. part of this is the fact that i drive the rav in a more laid-back way because it is a more chilled out, relaxing, refined & quiet kind of vehicle than the sp23.

Just checked consumption on wife's RAV4, info for anyone who is looking up how the V6 engine fares. Filled up when the orange light was on. A mix of mostly city and a little highway driving.

47.84l for 473.1 km = 10.11 l/100km

this is for a RAV4 ZR6 (v6) Oct 2007 model with about 1100ks on the odo.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I should calculate fuel usage now that my 2007 RAV4 ZR6 has reached 12000 km. This is based purely on city & east driving where the highest speed reached is approx 80k along the Gore Hill freeway to pacific hwy & back (5 trips) without flooring it at anytime. In one week, I had travelled 358km and today just filled up with 47.8 litres- this calculates to '13.4 litres per 100km'.

Not good at all in my book.

I made sure that during this measurement period, I drove the vehicle like a 4 cylinder - did not call upon the 200KW at any time. I know that if I floor it, the petrol gauge drops very quickly and I'd be refueling well before one week.

Does anyone else have similar figures or other figures for the RAV V6??

Considering we have the same engine, you guys should state what fuel you use as well.

In Kluger, I get under 14L/100km city driving on 95 RON and it will be 16L+ on 91 RON. I am consistently using 95 RON now and the consumption is as good as 10-11L/100km on 50% highway.

My 2 cents...

In the last month and a half, my wife's RAV4 ZR6 has done 2342.3k and used 256.58l on unleaded (I should know - I have to fill it up every week). This works out to about 10.95l/100km. Most of the driving is stop/start short journeys and a bit of highway on the weekends.

It's not as bad as what some of you guys get but my Aurion averages about 9.35l/100km (averaged over about 8000ks)

qt fan: thats pretty good figures for start/stop driving on ZR6 - can u provide info on the wifes driving style - would she keep revs low <3.5K perhaps? I guess I'm trying to ascertain average fuel usage for both low/high revs in city driving.

qt fan: thats pretty good figures for start/stop driving on ZR6 - can u provide info on the wifes driving style - would she keep revs low <3.5K perhaps? I guess I'm trying to ascertain average fuel usage for both low/high revs in city driving.

we could know this really easily if the rav had a trip computer with instantaneous consumtion. my dad's new landcruiser has one and it is incredibly useful. basically when you rev high you see your instantaneous consumption go up really high.

i was thinking of getting a scanguage or dashhawk in order to monitor instantaneous usage but not sure if these devices actually display this. they both provide trip computers (along with lots of other info) but i'm not sure if that includes instantaneous useage.

we could know this really easily if the rav had a trip computer with instantaneous consumtion. my dad's new landcruiser has one and it is incredibly useful. basically when you rev high you see your instantaneous consumption go up really high.

i was thinking of getting a scanguage or dashhawk in order to monitor instantaneous usage but not sure if these devices actually display this. they both provide trip computers (along with lots of other info) but i'm not sure if that includes instantaneous useage.

RAV4's in the USA have trip computers. They can also be ordered with a 9-speaker JBL stereo system. And probably lots of other goodies that we aussies miss out. It would be great if we can have the followings in the RAV4, either standard or option:

1. xenon lights

2. rain sensor +/- automatic headlights

3. trip computer

4. better switch backlighting (eg steering wheel volume/track buttons, central lock botton, and I don't know why the sat nav's buttons have green backlight but the rest of the car has orange backlight)

Guess I'm just being picky. Or maybe I should save up and buy a lexus... but surely the above niceties don't cost an extra $30K.

• 5 weeks later...

Just some updated fuel usage figures I calculated on my RAV ZR6 -

91RON:

1. Stop/start city driving: 13.4 litres/100km

2. Motorway: 9.6 litres/100km

95RON:

1. Stop/start city driving: 12.5 litres/100km

2. Motorway: 8.7 litres/100km

I do drive it hard - so I am quite happy with these figures and will continue to use 95RON since the vehicle appears to drive smoother.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RAV4's in the USA have trip computers. They can also be ordered with a 9-speaker JBL stereo system. And probably lots of other goodies that we aussies miss out. It would be great if we can have the followings in the RAV4, either standard or option:

1. xenon lights

3. trip computer

4. better switch backlighting (eg steering wheel volume/track buttons, central lock botton, and I don't know why the sat nav's buttons have green backlight but the rest of the car has orange backlight)

Guess I'm just being picky. Or maybe I should save up and buy a lexus... but surely the above niceties don't cost an extra $30K.

Hi there,

if USA RAV4 has trip computer how easy would it be to install in the ozzie version? anyone tried or attempted this?

cheers

Bru

1. xenon lights

3. trip computer

Hi there,

if USA RAV4 has trip computer how easy would it be to install in the ozzie version? anyone tried or attempted this?

cheers

Bru

I have wondered about this too. I am not sure where the trip computer is in the american rav. I looked into this a bit previously and I think it might be that the clock is also the trip computer. it might be possible to "unlock" this function as sometimes it is "there" in a vehicle but dormant. i know that in some model years of the mazda sp23 it is possible to unlock the trip computer functionality. it requires a specific sequence of pushing buttons on the head unit. apparently this is to allow the trip computers to be turned on in some markets and not in others. the mazda sp23 in the states has a trip computer; not so in oz... unless you know the code sequence :spiteful: ...

Edited by nerdygirl

• 1 month later...

91RON:

95RON:

I do drive it hard - so I am quite happy with these figures and will continue to use 95RON since the vehicle appears to drive smoother.

I'm new to the forum having recently purchased a 2006 RAV4 Cruiser manual and was wondering if anyone has taken figures using 95RON v 91RON with the 2.4l engine. Does the extra efficiency offset the increased cost per litre ?

91RON:

95RON:

I'm new to the forum having recently purchased a 2006 RAV4 Cruiser manual and was wondering if anyone has taken figures using 95RON v 91RON with the 2.4l engine. Does the extra efficiency offset the increased cost per litre ?

I filled up yesterday and on the last tank got 11.2l/100km on 91RON 100% suburban / city driving. A recent tank was 8.9l/100km with approx 50% highway driving. Anyone have any stats for 95RON with the 2.4l manual ?

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

we have a 2008 Rav4 Cruiser 2.4l Auto.

when we first got the car, we always ran it on premium fuels, the same as our last car (holden astra cdx)

we only get still to this day around the 350-380k's out of a full tank of premium fuel, and the car is driven by a 50+ woman.

i have complained to toyota about it at every service, and they class that as "acceptable".

anyone else's consumption as bad as ours? the car has done 15,000.

• 2 months later...

hey guys,

I have a 2008 2.4 CV and it has 9000km on the clock is soon to go in for the 10,000km service. Initially, in mostly city driving I got about 350-60km before the fuel warning light came on. The best so far that I have gotten in highwat driving is about 520km before the warning light comes on. I'm pretty happy with that, as there is still about 8-10 litres in the tank when the fuel low waring light comes on. But that's the best I've gotten.

But initially when I was getting 350km, I was pretty dissapointed. But as the KM's are going up, it seems the fuel consumption is getting better. I have never used 91 RON on it. Initially was using BP Ultimate 98, tried 95 RON as well, but I find that I get the best fuel range from using Caltex's Vortex 98.

But as Nerdygirl mentioned earlier, you have to be really light footed with this car if you want to get any sort of decent fuel range. In the auto it means tapping the pedal which allows for gear changes around 2000 rpm. But that is so frustrating though.

I have always been really heavy footed and this is my first SUV. But if I let gear cahnges happen at 3000rpm (which should be normal), it just guzzles fuel like anything.

Mostly I think I am getting better fuel range because I have adapted to a more of a granma style driving with the RAV. But saying that, the RAV also has a lot of up sides, I just wish it had better fuel econmy with normal driving without having to drive I'm 89 years old.

We have a 2006 CV Rav (2.4ltr 4cyl) and got 435km out of the tank until the light come one.

Apparently when the light comes on you have on average about 8ltrs left ?

Given that, we would have achieved approx 10.30ish litres per 100km.

That was a mix of city, highway, inbetween (80km speed limits) and a bit of bush track driving and beach.

Pretty good performance all round really