dangerous situation

hey how are you guys.........i own a 2002 corolla ascent and it is quite done up and just recently i have changed my front two wheels with JAX tyres......anyway my dad and brother were in the car and all of a sudden the front left wheel came off the car and broke all the nuts and damaged the guard.....the car was towed and was fixed by a wheel place where all the nuts and the brake rotors where fixed too.......however i was going to do something about this matter as i think that jax tyres did not put it on properly.........before calling fair trade department i went to jax tyres and spoke to them and was wondering if they could come up with a solution but unfortunately they were rude and didn want to help stating that my car is flashy and ppl mite hv tried 2 steal my wheels from the car........the tyres came off 23 days after it has been changed.............i dont know whether 2 take them to court or if anyone in here can help me out pls.........your help will be apprciated

it does sound like it was something that they did that caused it however being that it happened almost a month after getting them to work on the car the counter argument will be as you've just found out that "something" else has happened in the mean time ....... to be honest calling fair trading isn't going to cost you anything (just the 1 hr phone call maybe) just to see where they stand on the matter.

The other thing you might need is a statement from the place that fixed it which indicates what caused the problem.

I think its going to be a bit of hit n miss with a situation like this but as i said i dont think u got anything to loose by making the first phone call to get the opinion of the regulator and see what they say.

Like Bill mentioned..i think u should def give fair trade a call..its not gonna cost u anything anyway :) so might as well ( i`m asian.. :P Asian + Free = Happy Asian :P ) n also they can guide u n lettin u know what ur rights r n what u can do to get the compensation u deserve..but 1 month is a fair bit of gap in between..might be hard to prove the link between them..cos its like nuts n stuff..u cant prove u havent fiddle around with them n vice versa..

but anyway..do give fair trade a call..n prob call up some lawyers n those solicitors who specializes in stuff like this..

good luck with it..hope u get the compensation u deserve n thank *** no one was hurt in this incident..

do keep us updated :)

If you can get a report that says Jax caused the problem then yeah go for it...but loose wheel nuts could be caused by a lot of things.

If it was parked in your driveway (with driveway on the left side of house) someone could have attempted to remove the wheels using the car as cover. Either yourself or something else could have interrupted then they have just bolted. The left side is also hidden from the street. Dont think they would be considerate enough to do them up again if interrupted. And then who's to say theres not an idiot out there who decided it would be fun just to undo some bolts, much like idiots who chuck rocks at cars.

Im not saying your wrong, just saying that the 23 days is a long time between the event & the fitment. If it happened on the drive home from fitment then hell yeah, skin them alive.

Best bet is to call OFT & see what their opinion is.

did you check the wheelnut tension after a week of driving?

If the nuts were only done finger tight by Jax then the wheel would have worked it's way loose a lot sooner.

Did the studs shear or did the nuts come off?

Is the seat angle of the nuts correct for the wheels?

well its possible they rattled them up with the impact wrench and didnt recheck the wheel nuts they could have worked loose its happened before

i work in a tire shop (not jax) and no car leaves my shop untill ive checked the wheel nuts

but its also possible they could have overtightened the nuts and the studs broke under stress or somebody tried to steal your wheels

jax will pass the buck as soon as you even imply theyre at fault its what they do

dont bother dealing with them just find out your options first

my boss worked for jax he said your better off contacting their head office rather than the outlet itself cause you wont get anywhere dealing with them otherwise

did you check the wheelnut tension after a week of driving?

If the nuts were only done finger tight by Jax then the wheel would have worked it's way loose a lot sooner.

Did the studs shear or did the nuts come off?

Is the seat angle of the nuts correct for the wheels?

he's right - you should re-torque the wheels after around 80km's of driving. when the wheels where fitted did you see a torque wrench being used? some garages use torque wobble bars (brown for toyota) but these can be very unreliable as it relys on the compressor being at maximum pressure which is difficult to maintain in a workshop enviroment. there has been cases over here of peeps wheels coming off after not being tightened correctly after using torque wobble bars. overtightening - like you see a lot of garages do with an air impact gun - stretches the threads and can also cause the nuts to come loose. not tighteneing the wheel nuts in the correct manner - opposites - can cause the wheel not to seat right. where you told to retorque the wheels or the fitter invite you back to check like there suppose to?

• 4 weeks later...

quick question, do you have plastic spacers on your rims?

I had 18's on my last car, which had plastic spacers on the hub so that they fit. I had my tyres fitted at Bridgestone and one of the spacers got stuck on the rim, instead of being stuck on the hub like they normally are. They rotated my rims, which caused my front rim to have 2 spacers on them, and as they are plastic, when tightening they used their torque gun, but plastic flexes. So while i was drivin home down the M2, i felt something was majorly wrong. When i stopped, my whole left rim fell off the car, with the nuts falling straight into the gutter on delhi rd. Thank *** they didnt fall off doin 100km/h on the M2.

Anyways, they paid for my towing and all repairs to the car & rims.

If you have spacers on your rims, maybe point this out as it may be the cause.

Goodluck, hopefully it will work out for u.

plastic spacers

Locating rings.

If your rims do not have the correct diameter to mount onto the brake rotor locator then you will require these rings. The studs should not be used to locate the wheel, their only purpose is to hold the wheel on.

quick question, do you have plastic spacers on your rims?

I had 18's on my last car, which had plastic spacers on the hub so that they fit. I had my tyres fitted at Bridgestone and one of the spacers got stuck on the rim, instead of being stuck on the hub like they normally are. They rotated my rims, which caused my front rim to have 2 spacers on them, and as they are plastic, when tightening they used their torque gun, but plastic flexes. So while i was drivin home down the M2, i felt something was majorly wrong. When i stopped, my whole left rim fell off the car, with the nuts falling straight into the gutter on delhi rd. Thank *** they didnt fall off doin 100km/h on the M2.

Anyways, they paid for my towing and all repairs to the car & rims.

If you have spacers on your rims, maybe point this out as it may be the cause.

Goodluck, hopefully it will work out for u.

thats gold its sad some people cant even perform a simple tyre fit up lol!

• 1 year later...

JAX near mine are a rude bunch of pr|cks too, they do shonky work, are never a help and are over priced, they should be sued just for being a group of c0cks

but i think the 23 days after will see them clear so dont i wouldnt bother

Edited by ELEGNT

A couple of years ago I bought a new set of tyres. Later that day I drove from Brisbane to Toowoomba. When I arrived I noticed I was missing a wheel nut. All the nuts on the driver's side of my car were barely finger tight. Luckily I had a spare wheel nut and luckily I survived to use it.

First chance I got I went back to the tyre place and informed them. The owner/manager thanked me for letting him know. He was a good honest bloke and I've gone back there since. I've only dealt with Jax once and wasn't impressed, nothing particular just felt unprofessional. I do check my wheel nuts after any tyre changes now for my own safety, it is my life after all. I've also developed the habit of glancing at my tyres before I get in after work. I've spotted 2 punctures that way so far before driving off.

OP did you have a lock nut on your wheel at all? Might point to a thief if that was the only one left holding your wheel on and it finally snapped.

Personally I think the period of time is against you.

Safe and aware motoring.