40.000 km service

Just wondering if any of you guys have had their 40K service done as im due. My toyota dealer wanted $340 as it is a "Major" service, i told them i'll think about it, does anyone recommend a good service shop in Melbourne, i aint paying that much for a service.

Just wondering if any of you guys have had their 40K service done as im due. My toyota dealer wanted $340 as it is a "Major" service, i told them i'll think about it, does anyone recommend a good service shop in Melbourne, i aint paying that much for a service.

I need to do the same! I'm just touching 50,000!

looking for recommendations thanks!

have u tried ultra tune ? i usually go to my toyota Dealer coz i get 5yrs warrenty if i continue.

hrmm why would it be a major service at 40k ? surely it doesnt cost 340bux just to get a few things changed. i would only imagine the shock absorbers and brake pads coming close. other than that, dunno.

I had my 40K done in November last year and it was $313.35 for a 1ZZFE and I supplied my own oil..... so it sounds about right...

It is a major service because the flush your coolant, brake/clutch fluid and so on.... If you have a look in your service book it will tell you exactly what they are "ment" to do/replace...

Edited by MAP81

I had my 40K done in November last year and it was $313.35 for a 1ZZFE and I supplied my own oil..... so it sounds about right...

It is a major service because the flush your coolant, brake/clutch fluid and so on.... If you have a look in your service book it will tell you exactly what they are "ment" to do/replace...

hey mate, was that done at Toyota?

Sounds about right, it ia a "major service".

When it comes to car servicing, one thing to remember is that if the service interval is divisable by 4 then it will a biggun (eg 40, 80 & 120k)

Then anything that is divisable by 8 is bigger again (80 & 160k)

When i was getting my 30K service done i asked the price of the 40k and it was $300+ from memory n so i rang around to a few dealerships to confirm (about 7) and it was about mid to high $3XX with 1 or 2 in da $400 mark :blink::blink::blink:

Edited by xoom

I've done almost 49000km.

My log book says to just change filter/oil, and inspect a few things like brakes, battery, etc.

All my fluids are at an acceptable limit, should I change them though?

Toyota recommends changing coolant and brake fluid every 2 years, regardless of kms travelled, because those fluids are more affected by time than kms.

However, because 2 years is the time period that lines up with 40k in the service book, some dealers will try and include those in the job, regardless of the time that has elapsed.

In my old Starlet, my 40k service was well before the 2 year mark, but the dealer tried to do the fluids at that time ... I told him to leave it out and had it done at 50k, because that was almost 2 years by that time.

Besides, its nicer to have that extra cost alongside a minor service if you can help it, rather that on top of an already expensive major service! :)

I jsut rang up Genesis (www.genesisracing.com.au)

they said that all I need is a minor service.

--

I said "hi i need to get a service for my 02 toyota corolla, i need to get all the fluids changed"

he says "how many k's you done?"

"50,000km"

"you dont need all your fluids changed mate, what does it say in your log book?"

"it says change oil and oil filter, inspect brakes, fluids, etc."

"yeah that's right mate, you don't need it, but dont worry, we'll inspect everything for ya just to make sure"

--

I think I'll take it into them just so they can inspect it, for a peace of mind. I normally change the oil myself, but I don't really know what else to look for.

Any comments?

Toyota recommends changing coolant and brake fluid every 2 years, regardless of kms travelled, because those fluids are more affected by time than kms.

Yes, get better grade fluids dude.

Edited by sport1vo

john i will go with you to genesis if you like. toms02 should be there too this week getting worked on. maybe they can do an inspection on mine if they have time after yours.

50,000 isn't a major service. The 40,000 one is the major service. I have mine coming up in 8,000ks time :(

My old mans 01 Celica was expensive to service at 40,000. $420 or so.

But yeah, 40,000 is a major service with the 80,000 service being even more important. I wouldn't be fussed in spending the money to ensure the car runs well for a long time after. At least if toyota do it and you have a problem later on you can take the car back and tell them it was their fault for not doing the job properly.

For the 1ZZ motor you have to do the following @ 40 000km or 2 years.

Replace Oil + Filter

Replace Coolant

Replace Brake Fluid

Replace Air Filter

Replace Spark Plugs

As someone said earlier, Coolant and Brake Fluid should be done every 2 years regardless of kms.

Cheaper to DIY ! Plus you know it's been done.

On the down side if you are still in Warranty you might want a Mechanic or Toyota Dealer to do it.

Cheers

T.

Could it be thousands though??? .. i mean ... for example ..

After 5 years .. if they value my car @ 10K .. without a complete log ..

would it me 12K or 13 K with a log ... or more like $10500 ??

I guess there are some dodgy dealers out there .. giving dodgy valuations..

• 2 weeks later...