Stock V6 to Aurion TRD (Update with Pictures)

TRDLover

I hope this post will not upset Aurion TRD owners too much for "wannabe"

But since Aurion TRD are not available worldwide all we can do is try.

My question is:

What is needed for a stock V6 to become Aurion TRD? (excluding exterior design)

I can think of the following:

Super charger (not sure if engine needs to be replaced)

TRD Brakes

Suspension

Transmission

Exhaust (may be not)

Electrical system (may be not)

Hope we have some experts/mechanics here who knows

post-11321-1233967593_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233967665_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233967759_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233967816_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233967871_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233968025_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233968091_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233968122_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233968189_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233968648_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233968696_thumb.jpg

post-11321-1233968768_thumb.jpg

Edited by TRDLover

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRD Brakes

Suspension

Transmission

Exhaust (may be not)

I'm no expert but I think:

Supercharger - yes of course. Engine remains the same. The supercharger is a TVS model made by Eaton. No intercooler was added as it would have required modification to fuel lines, adding to development costs.

Brakes - Made by a company called PBR in Australia

Suspension - Definetely stiffened, and the car is significantly lower than the standard Sportivos.

Transmission - Seems to be same as non-TRD but with addition of transmission cooler

Exhaust - Same

Electrical system - same

Tyres - changed to Dunlop Sport Maxx (245/35/ ZR19) with modified camber and toe-in

Body kit

Other aesthetics - TRD interior trim, build number, added colour to steering wheel

All TRD Aurions start off as Sportivos, SX6 for the 3500S and ZR6 for the 3500SL. They are then handed over to a company called Prodrive who does the conversion for Toyota. As you can imagine, the less conversion work required, the less expensive it is to make a TRD. They then channel the profit they make off the TRD to cover research costs which were in the millions. With the premature canning of the TRD vehicles and abysmal sales, I doubt Toyota came anywhere close to recouping their research and development costs.

Even if you bought all the right parts and somehow got them installed, you'd still have to calibrate them. The car was extensively tested on the track by TRD and fine-tuned. Unless you have got that kind of expertise, it will be pretty hard to emulate the TRD Aurion exactly.

Edited by TRD Aurion Owner

TRD Brakes

Suspension

Transmission

Exhaust (may be not)

Supercharger - yes of course. Engine remains the same. The supercharger is a TVS model made by Eaton. No intercooler was added as it would have required modification to fuel lines, adding to development costs.

Suspension - Definetely stiffened, and the car is significantly lower than the standard Sportivos.

Transmission - Seems to be same as non-TRD but with addition of transmission cooler

Exhaust - Same

Electrical system - same

Tyres - changed to Dunlop Sport Maxx (245/35/ ZR19) with modified camber and toe-in

Body kit

Other aesthetics - TRD interior trim, build number, added colour to steering wheel

All TRD Aurions start off as Sportivos, SX6 for the 3500S and ZR6 for the 3500SL. They are then handed over to a company called Prodrive who does the conversion for Toyota. As you can imagine, the less conversion work required, the less expensive it is to make a TRD. They then channel the profit they make off the TRD to cover research costs which were in the millions. With the premature canning of the TRD vehicles and abysmal sales, I doubt Toyota came anywhere close to recouping their research and development costs.

Even if you bought all the right parts and somehow got them installed, you'd still have to calibrate them. The car was extensively tested on the track by TRD and fine-tuned. Unless you have got that kind of expertise, it will be pretty hard to emulate the TRD Aurion exactly.

Thanks alot for your reply

Looks like the major issue is with the super charger and finding the expert to fine tune it.

Any experts (who can fine tune the TRD) coming to Thailand for vacation :rolleyes:

Any good tuner should be able to tune it, you will however need to have an "interceptor" or "piggy back" type computer plugged in.

You don't need to look to Australia for Tuners...Down nearer down south in Singapore are a number of reputed tuners.

I personally don't think that there's anything special in the engine or tuning about the TRD except for the branding and body kit. If you have the money to spend, you can probably get an Aurion to handle better and produce more power for much much less than the cost of an upgrade to a TRD Aurion (Comparing new to new - however, I heard that TRD Aurions are now very much discounted)

Having said that, my next question is, why bother? It still won't be branded a TRD...which at the end of the day, is what ppl pay for and its the branding that will hold its value - not some aftermarket tuned Aurion.

TRD Brakes

Suspension

Transmission

Exhaust (may be not)

Exhaust - Same

Electrical system - same

Body kit

Thanks alot for your reply

Looks like the major issue is with the super charger and finding the expert to fine tune it.

Any experts (who can fine tune the TRD) coming to Thailand for vacation :rolleyes:

Edited by e240

Any good tuner should be able to tune it, you will however need to have an "interceptor" or "piggy back" type computer plugged in.

You don't need to look to Australia for Tuners...Down nearer down south in Singapore are a number of reputed tuners.

I personally don't think that there's anything special in the engine or tuning about the TRD except for the branding and body kit. If you have the money to spend, you can probably get an Aurion to handle better and produce more power for much much less than the cost of an upgrade to a TRD Aurion (Comparing new to new - however, I heard that TRD Aurions are now very much discounted)

Having said that, my next question is, why bother? It still won't be branded a TRD...which at the end of the day, is what ppl pay for and its the branding that will hold its value - not some aftermarket tuned Aurion.

Is there an Aurion Super Charger or Turbo model engine?

I already own a V6 and would like more performance.

The only form of forced induction for the 2GR-FE is the TRD supercharger. Costs around AUD$10,000 from Toyota, and I highly doubt they will sell easily.

The only form of forced induction for the 2GR-FE is the TRD supercharger. Costs around AUD$10,000 from Toyota, and I highly doubt they will sell easily.

My chances are with some one here :unsure:

or TRD Thailand but I am not certain of both sources

• 1 month later...

I am now in the process of getting quotations for the Super Charger but just wanted to show you guys/gals what I have done so far :D (See first page for pictures)

It should be noted that V6 here includes Pre-Crash Safty feature; thus, the plastic in front.

TRD Lover, is this pics of your car. And is this the TRD body kit available in Thialand. Looks pretty good for a replica.

Where did you get the kit from and how much. And where did you get your grill from.

Edited by BONDIE

I'm liking that front end there TRDLover. It appears it lets you have whatever grill you want in the upper section vs the actual TRD front bumper. As well, it seems like there is not as much of a curve with the lower lip. The large curve on the TRD is one of the things I'm not too fond of. Good work with your little conversion there.

Aftermarket supercharger would be a LOT cheaper than the TRD model ;) Eaton M90, two SC14's (may not be enough room though, one would probably give you only 4psi of boost), then you've got your whole line of centrifugal models.

Uhhh..OK...I trust you :(

TRD Lover, is this pics of your car. And is this the TRD body kit available in Thialand. Looks pretty good for a replica.

Where did you get the kit from and how much. And where did you get your grill from.

I PM you already about the TRD Kit. It is custom fiber replica but the grill is actually the same as yours but painted :rolleyes:

I'm liking that front end there TRDLover. It appears it lets you have whatever grill you want in the upper section vs the actual TRD front bumper. As well, it seems like there is not as much of a curve with the lower lip. The large curve on the TRD is one of the things I'm not too fond of. Good work with your little conversion there.

Thanks DJKOR.

Not a major fan of the guards over the windows or the chrome handles, but the rest looks quite stunning! Very neat quality and build too, especially that sound system that looks almost like stock. Even the wiring in the engine bay looks rather clean.

I'm not sure of what comes standard in that particular model of the Camry, but I take it from the millions of buttons and the remote in the back they are for in-car entertainment or something?