Porting Stock headers or Custom ones?

CME-LFT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have in car now, CES does a gd job with the ported headers. From my experience working at GM Holden b4, all stock headers comes with rough edges and unconsistent flow, due to manufacturer cost. They cost around within $10 US to manufacturer for mass production.

The only way to get a smooth flow you need to machine to the precise smoothness to allow that, cars like BMW M3, HSV clubsport etc... when they said the exhaust is upgraded to get more power, mainly its the headers are doing the job (I know this from the HSV engineers).... So getting ported header is definitely a big gain, how much gain, well it depends on the workmanship.

Since CES has done many the ported sportivo headers, I will go for them even they are a bit expensive.

On the other hand, does the catback gained any performance? correct me, but I personally think not,. I think the best gain is get the ported headers from CES and keep the stock exhaust. I think I might need a bit of tuning to gain my performance in the catback install.

Although I personally dont believe the cat back will gain any performance, CES cat back I am happy cos they provide a sound tone without causing grieve in loudness.

I personally dont think there is much gain can be done on NA sportivo as compared to my previous car, may be i am making a big statement. Hmm maybe Bill also agree the only way is probably going to Turbo if you want any huge gain for sportivo.

Reason I say that is I used to have a Pulsar SSS N15, I was able to have get my SSS matching any Integra type R after modifications (non-turbo, and cheaper and easier mod to find than sportivo), consider the stock SSS is a lot slower car to start with. I think one of the reason can be the kerb weight of the SSS I had is under 1100kg while the sportivo is a lot heavier.

Just received my extractors from CES. They're sitting on the bedroom floor atm :)

The reason I went with CES ones was because I live in Perth. If a place like Head 2 Head could post them then I would get them as they are cheaper, but I will find out how good the CES ones are :D

Just received my extractors from CES. They're sitting on the bedroom floor atm :)

The reason I went with CES ones was because I live in Perth. If a place like Head 2 Head could post them then I would get them as they are cheaper, but I will find out how good the CES ones are :D

woo hoo!!!! :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

mow much including postage mate ?

I personally dont think there is much gain can be done on NA sportivo as compared to my previous car, may be i am making a big statement. Hmm maybe Bill also agree the only way is probably going to Turbo if you want any huge gain for sportivo.

nothing a stroker kit with 12.5:1 pistons + PFC + stage 3 cams + valves & valve springs + p&p head + custom IM + LSD cant fix ;) ;) ;)

wat ever tickles ur fancy ..... & not to be-little anyone or sound condasending ..... bcuz these threads really are starting to get tiresome ..... i think ive read 50 CAI & over 50 exhaust threads ...... but if u think simple bolt-ons for the stivo is serious performance ..... that ur actually going to feel massive gains in the butt dyno ...... u really gotta stop kidding urself.

I dont think anyone really expects massive gains, if they do then there a stooge (it aint a turboed car). I know all I wanted from doing the setup was that i wanted the car to run a little smoother and healthier than it was stock.

My 2cents worth anyway

From what I have in car now, CES does a gd job with the ported headers. From my experience working at GM Holden b4, all stock headers comes with rough edges and unconsistent flow, due to manufacturer cost. They cost around within $10 US to manufacturer for mass production.

The only way to get a smooth flow you need to machine to the precise smoothness to allow that, cars like BMW M3, HSV clubsport etc... when they said the exhaust is upgraded to get more power, mainly its the headers are doing the job (I know this from the HSV engineers).... So getting ported header is definitely a big gain, how much gain, well it depends on the workmanship.

Since CES has done many the ported sportivo headers, I will go for them even they are a bit expensive.

On the other hand, does the catback gained any performance? correct me, but I personally think not,. I think the best gain is get the ported headers from CES and keep the stock exhaust. I think I might need a bit of tuning to gain my performance in the catback install.

Although I personally dont believe the cat back will gain any performance, CES cat back I am happy cos they provide a sound tone without causing grieve in loudness.

Reason I say that is I used to have a Pulsar SSS N15, I was able to have get my SSS matching any Integra type R after modifications (non-turbo, and cheaper and easier mod to find than sportivo), consider the stock SSS is a lot slower car to start with. I think one of the reason can be the kerb weight of the SSS I had is under 1100kg while the sportivo is a lot heavier.

Catback does make gains and increase in torque. 6-9kw is the range I have seen from catback alone. Reduces drastically the torque hole between 4-6K and makes the car just nicer to drive. CES did before and after to see what and where the gains were. Power improved from just under 2000rpm to redline. Peak power improvements is somewhere in the range of 6-9kw depending on existing mods and the mid range is improvement is about 3-6kw. Not startling improvements but gains all the same. Personally it is the extra torque gains that a cat back system and ported headers give that make the car such a better package to drive on a daily basis. Add a CAI and good filter and net gains of the 3 items is somewhere around the 12-20kw mark depending on the varied build quality that Toyota delivers.

There is plenty you can do to a 2ZZGE to improve performance. Just depends on what you want and how much money you want to spend. Most are after relatively easy bolt on mods that are easy to remove come sale time. A lot harder to remove engine internals etc!!

FYI SSS with CAI and full exhaust system vs Sportivo with just catback = Sportivo win......

Bill

All respect to your turbo sportivo

If you go to Queensland Raceway, you will be put in the road 6 category, whereas I get to stay in the road 4, and I get to haul in civics and integra's all day, instead of being thrashed by every damn evo subaru in road 6.

different courses, different horses.

whitestivo

Bill

All respect to your turbo sportivo

If you go to Queensland Raceway, you will be put in the road 6 category, whereas I get to stay in the road 4, and I get to haul in civics and integra's all day, instead of being thrashed by every damn evo subaru in road 6.

different courses, different horses.

whitestivo

mate i thoroughly enjoy kicking it with the evo & rexy boys ..... the looks on their faces is classic as the stivo rockets past them in the open straights ...... i have also proven it can go toe to toe with the awd’s in the twists ;)

mate i thoroughly enjoy kicking it with the evo & rexy boys ..... the looks on their faces is classic as the stivo rockets past them in the open straights ...... i have also proven it can go toe to toe with the awd’s in the twists ;)

how did a thread on headers turn into a thread about how you car with unlimited cash spent on it (so much that you could have probably bought an evo or wrx with your modification budget) thrashes cars at the race track ? take it to showcase bRo!

Cost me 570 incl postage. I get 200 back when I return my factory manifold :)

please excuse my ignorance, but ive been through the whole thread, and there is not a single mention of the PPE header... is there a reason for that???

I think reason being:

- Costs too much to ship from US

- I think you have to chop up the front pipe as the ppe header is longer and isn't just a bolt on application

- And I don't think anyone has tried it here in Aus

But the gains do look impressive.

how did a thread on headers turn into a thread about how you car with unlimited cash spent on it (so much that you could have probably bought an evo or wrx with your modification budget) thrashes cars at the race track ? take it to showcase bRo!

bcuz there are far too many threads about CAI's, exhausts, headers etc .... i'd say atleast 1 a week gets started ...... (if i wanted to be a sheeple i would have bought an evo or wrx) .....

please excuse my ignorance, but ive been through the whole thread, and there is not a single mention of the PPE header... is there a reason for that???

back on topic .... plain and simply put no one has bothered to fork out for them ...... anyone keen on being the first ?

or someone surprise me and match up their new headers with the newly released intake manifold from the US

- I think you have to chop up the front pipe as the ppe header is longer and isn't just a bolt on application

:D

Resize3-1.jpg

Resize5-1.jpg

Resize2-1.jpg

Resize4-1.jpg

its not a direct bolt on, u have to splice the b-pipe to get the headers to fit, which any exhaust shop will happily do for u.....

if u want bang for ur buck, id recommend porting out ur OEM headers........ but if u want the best, id recommend PPE... remember, u always get wat u pay for....

bcuz there are far too many threads about CAI's, exhausts, headers etc .... i'd say atleast 1 a week gets started ...... (if i wanted to be a sheeple i would have bought an evo or wrx) .....

well it illustrates there are plenty of new members seeking advice as to how to go about moding their cars.

atm sifting through the bs in existing threads is near on impossible, pretty much because theres to many off topic posts just like this one.

i woud have though it was a good thing, keeps the forums pretty active.

in any case, if your so sick of it show some initiative, your a mod, why not compile a FAQ on CAI and headers and sticky it ?

in any case, if your so sick of it show some initiative, your a mod, why not compile a FAQ on CAI and headers and sticky it ?

we have .... look @ the top of the corolla section .... the mods eventually gave up because ppl simply ignored it

PREVIOUSLY COVERED TOPICS - HAVE A READ BEFORE POSTING AS IT MAY ALREADY HAVE BEEN COVERED

Cost me 570 incl postage. I get 200 back when I return my factory manifold :)

I think reason being:

At the moment there are 3 celica's all in brissy with ppe headers. 2 on n/a celica and one on rotrex celica. All with pretty decent gains. It's not a big job to get fitted, any exhaust shop can do it.

:D

Resize3-1.jpg

Resize5-1.jpg

Resize2-1.jpg

Resize4-1.jpg

its not a direct bolt on, u have to splice the b-pipe to get the headers to fit, which any exhaust shop will happily do for u.....

if u want bang for ur buck, id recommend porting out ur OEM headers........ but if u want the best, id recommend PPE... remember, u always get wat u pay for....

Nice. How much did that set you back if u don't mind me asking......

hmm, if i remember correctly... it cost me $950 AU shipped.... that was including the HP coating as well.....

i hear alot of talk about CES products in here, but sometimes u gotta look outside the square.... dont get me wrong, CES do a great job at what they do and they pride themselves on the quality of their work...... but do keep in mind that there are better products out there.....

Edited by CK1

hmm, if i remember correctly... it cost me $950 AU shipped.... that was including the HP coating as well.....

i hear alot of talk about CES products in here, but sometimes u gotta look outside the square.... dont get me wrong, CES do a great job at what they do and they pride themselves on the quality of their work...... but do keep in mind that there are better products out there.....

What sort of gains did you experienced?