Porting Stock headers or Custom ones?

CME-LFT

All this worry about the jacks slappin a big pink sticker on yer windscreens LOL

my exhaust is ******en loud and nothing, they dont give a **** for noisy rollas...

I get paranoid bout the cops as the cars lowered, makes a bit of noise and overall does look done up, but they dont really even notice it (which is slightly depressing as ive tried to make it look sporty) but my mate with a STOCK (height,rims,windows all stock) s15 is pretty much cop bait.

I guess its also a positive though.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i see it this way....

My system, from doing some shopping around.

Ported Headers and had them installed $260

2.5" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Cat Back $250

Xforce Varex Muffler $400 (goes loud for me, and quiet for when i want to be civilised)

how much is the CES catback again?

So what resonator do you have??? Or don't you have one at all......

Like Jaderd mentioned, he has a stock one put in. Your point? Stock resonator is a restriction with 2.5" system.

X force Varex...... for those who cannot get a muffler to do the right job and make power without making ridiculous "noisepower".......

Prove it.

Guni you of all people who should know that i have already proved it. Ever heard of the CES catback system??? I helped design it and then tested it on my car outlaying my own money. So spend some of your own money on some R & D and prove me wrong ro do you want someone else to do all the hard work for you. I've done my share would you like to do yours for the TOCAU community??

*YAWN*

I'm asking you to prove what you said about the Varex Muffler not being able to do its job. Shut it off and it becomes quiet, opens it and you get more omph as it becomes a straight thru muffler. Seems to do its job to me.

Furthermore, no one ever said you didn't do what you did and how much is enough? Seen my sussy thread?

bla bla bla bla bla

could go on forever so I better not even start .......

I'm not here to re-invent the wheel, merely asking why. If its legit, y so worked up?

This just reminds me that I'm in a ZZEmo forum

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I proved it mate the CES rear muffler doesn't need a flap to make power and doesn't make crap noises. The Varex needs the flap to stop noise or you'll get pinged by the boys in blue so it only works with the ricey crap sound they make.how restricted is it with the flap shut?? won't get pinged for having a CES rear can on your car as it tests DB legal.

As for a Varex Muffler being legal I guess you better ask RTA what they think of that one........

Hey Silva, i did the research into legalities of the varex or any noise reducing exhasut for VIC .

Back to point earlier before i talk of this....the CES muffler like you said is prob perfectly matesd to system etc but is still noisy (over stock) reason i got varex is because i wanted to have dead stock (or quiter) and then i also wanted loud and nice note (louder than CES). With this in mind though i thought they may be "illegal" got onto vic roads data........"any noise reducing item (cutout / flap etc) is illegal to be fitted to a vehicle (VIC)..im like...ok thats gay then it said refer to EPA etc.....so i rang EPA and chatted to a technical dude there....basically VIC EPA is in a bit of a pickle with car manufacturers and Canberra who authorise cars legalities for Road use in Australia (along those lines anyway) and ofcourse they allow the VE commodore, new fords....VW etc and all cars....those 3 aforementioned have exhaust systems with varying flaps / valves with therefore make them illegal to be operated in victoria.........basically he said and agreed that in thoery all new holdens (maybe model specific as to who has those exhasut) and many other model vehicles are "illegal".

I went on to ask him basically EPA do not care at all about having the item....they are worried about noise..........so i asked the q's ok....i get pulled over ....cops say car too loud.....i go to get EPA testing and on FULL OPEN the exhaust is under the 92 db at 75% of where peak power made (approx cant remember exact figure ) then they see no problem with it...........hence another reason why i wanted to stay stock 59mm exhaust...i believe i would pass the dB test and have gone past afew cops full open higher in revs (not noticing them at first) with no dramas. The guy at EPA then went onto to say how its fair rediculous cos if you pass that test and cops not happy they can get you to do "moving" tests where they take all noise factors into consideration from fairing noise and just the noise produced as you move through the air etc......so yeah im really not too stressed about the legalities of the varex when infact many thousands of stock production cars on the road (VIC anyways) are just as illegal as me in theory...........guy at EPA said somethings need to be revised with VIC roads regulations etc as they are cool with any noise cutout device you have as long as on full open (no restriction) you meet the EPA requirements

:)

Edited by jaderd

Hey Silva, i did the research into legalities of the varex or any noise reducing exhasut for VIC .

Back to point earlier before i talk of this....the CES muffler like you said is prob perfectly matesd to system etc but is still noisy (over stock) reason i got varex is because i wanted to have dead stock (or quiter) and then i also wanted loud and nice note (louder than CES). With this in mind though i thought they may be "illegal" got onto vic roads data........"any noise reducing item (cutout / flap etc) is illegal to be fitted to a vehicle (VIC)..im like...ok thats gay then it said refer to EPA etc.....so i rang EPA and chatted to a technical dude there....basically VIC EPA is in a bit of a pickle with car manufacturers and Canberra who authorise cars legalities for Road use in Australia (along those lines anyway) and ofcourse they allow the VE commodore, new fords....VW etc and all cars....those 3 aforementioned have exhaust systems with varying flaps / valves with therefore make them illegal to be operated in victoria.........basically he said and agreed that in thoery all new holdens (maybe model specific as to who has those exhasut) and many other model vehicles are "illegal".

I went on to ask him basically EPA do not care at all about having the item....they are worried about noise..........so i asked the q's ok....i get pulled over ....cops say car too loud.....i go to get EPA testing and on FULL OPEN the exhaust is under the 92 db at 75% of where peak power made (approx cant remember exact figure ) then they see no problem with it...........hence another reason why i wanted to stay stock 59mm exhaust...i believe i would pass the dB test and have gone past afew cops full open higher in revs (not noticing them at first) with no dramas. The guy at EPA then went onto to say how its fair rediculous cos if you pass that test and cops not happy they can get you to do "moving" tests where they take all noise factors into consideration from fairing noise and just the noise produced as you move through the air etc......so yeah im really not too stressed about the legalities of the varex when infact many thousands of stock production cars on the road (VIC anyways) are just as illegal as me in theory...........guy at EPA said somethings need to be revised with VIC roads regulations etc as they are cool with any noise cutout device you have as long as on full open (no restriction) you meet the EPA requirements

:)

interesting ..... bcuz the sportivo falls into the same category ..... from memory the stock muffler has a valve built into the muffler path which opens up once the air pressure gets high enough to allow extra air out in the upper rpm range ...... the thing to also bear in mind .... and im not sure if they do this in VIC ..... but they certainly do in NSW .... is they not only test the car on the way up to building those revs and holding them up there ..... but they also take into consideration the back off ..... i.e. wen u pull ur foot off the gas ..... from my experience of all the cars ive seen tested the back off tends to add an extra 3-5dB to the reading. So be mindful of that as well ....

now i am dubious as to whether the back off should also be included in the testing but i havent had a chance to look through the ADR documentation bcuz i was sure it only stipulated the build up needed to be legit ..... but yeah i'd need to re-read the doc's which i CBF doing right now .... lol

yeah im not sure if they do take into consideration back off ? maybe......dunoo ne ways after speaking with EPA i was like.....who cares ill go with it as 1000's of cars on road are illegal if you look at the legislation and take it as gospel....rediculous..................i didnt know our stock muffler had a valve ........interesting....its not visible though is it ....i havent noticed although hadnt really looked for it....if it does im even happier i have the varex :) as i was illegal stock lol

Small flap inside the rear muffler. Interesting how the EPA answered your question mate. Must have certainly got someone with some common sense and half a brain as most of them fear for walking on grass for the sake of killing a bug.....

Small flap inside the rear muffler. Interesting how the EPA answered your question mate. Must have certainly got someone with some common sense and half a brain as most of them fear for walking on grass for the sake of killing a bug.....

Yeah the guy at the EPA was good i caught him on like a thursday night at 4.30pm and he was keen for a 20 min chat....he basically said its all bull etc with all these regulations and really if cops or insurance or anyone want to get you for something etc....they will find a way......like with the exhaust....basically EPA just want it to be at the correct DB in relation to sound etc .....whether it has a noise device or a milo tin on the end (as long as safely welded on etc) as long as on full open its under dB.....whats the prob ?......so yeah was a valuable call......

When you said small flap inside rear muffler your meaning on stock stivo ? like youve seen it and its def there ?....hopeso.....means all stock stivos are illegal lol and varex no diff

Yeah the guy at the EPA was good i caught him on like a thursday night at 4.30pm and he was keen for a 20 min chat....he basically said its all bull etc with all these regulations and really if cops or insurance or anyone want to get you for something etc....they will find a way......like with the exhaust....basically EPA just want it to be at the correct DB in relation to sound etc .....whether it has a noise device or a milo tin on the end (as long as safely welded on etc) as long as on full open its under dB.....whats the prob ?......so yeah was a valuable call......

When you said small flap inside rear muffler your meaning on stock stivo ? like youve seen it and its def there ?....hopeso.....means all stock stivos are illegal lol and varex no diff

yes inside the stock stivo muffler ..... yes if u read the ADR guidelines/regulations u will soon find that yes they are really up for "interpretation" in A LOT of areas .... yes there are things which are pretty easy to understand like when it says X dB from the exhaust or must have Y cm off the lowest pt clearance .... but there is heaps of areas where the regulations are soooo loose and vague that u really could twist them to mean anything. Much like laws in this country ........

What about if you put on new headers to open up the ports, then forumlated new pipework from cat back (keep original cat), all the way to a flange so you could still keep the sportivo muffler.

I personally don’t need any increase in noise. I’m more than happy with the sound of my CAI. And for my own reasons, I’m not keen on the Varex setup. And I got a feeling that muffler is where most of the coin is going.

I read “the stock system after the cat has a small decrease in diameter for some reason creating a restriction. all the stock systems decrease in diameter near the resonator then at the rear muffler.

Thoughts?

whitestivo

I believe the EPA most likely will not care as long as you are under the db limit during testing, even with the valve fully opened.

But I believe the RTA has stated that you are not allowed to have a device that allows the manipulation of noise, i.e varex muffler. Google for VAREX and RTA and I'm sure you will find it somewhere. But I'm planning to get a VAREX muffler soon, bah if they really wanted to defect me I would be gone pretty quickly. lol

I believe the EPA most likely will not care as long as you are under the db limit during testing, even with the valve fully opened.

But I believe the RTA has stated that you are not allowed to have a device that allows the manipulation of noise, i.e varex muffler. Google for VAREX and RTA and I'm sure you will find it somewhere. But I'm planning to get a VAREX muffler soon, bah if they really wanted to defect me I would be gone pretty quickly. lol

look in thai's glovebox and he is most definetly GOOOOOOOOOOOONE :P :P :P :P

What about if you put on new headers to open up the ports, then forumlated new pipework from cat back (keep original cat), all the way to a flange so you could still keep the sportivo muffler.

I personally don’t need any increase in noise. I’m more than happy with the sound of my CAI. And for my own reasons, I’m not keen on the Varex setup. And I got a feeling that muffler is where most of the coin is going.

I read “the stock system after the cat has a small decrease in diameter for some reason creating a restriction. all the stock systems decrease in diameter near the resonator then at the rear muffler.

Thoughts?

whitestivo

I'm still looking around and doing some reading/research which is why my zorst is stock for the moment till I find something I am comfortable with. Furthermore, ain't a fan of loud zorst or cop magnet which is why I am considering the Varex. Quiet when I need to be, loud when I want it to!!! ;)

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Just have to cop more from bill asking me to "mod the car alraedy!!! g()d damn it!!!! "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Guni

+1 ive made my mind up on varex muffler+ported stock headers!

I was actually considering varex but was contemplating because don't want to get on wrong side of the law .....

hence, more research!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But simon has pretty much got it ironed out with the legality in VIC just that I can b pretty "fussy" @ times. Having said that, cops driving all those new Commies and Fords have to pretty much slap a Canary on their own windshield.

Not sure how it works in other state though ...

:P

Hey CME-LFT, your ex-exhaust manifold has gone to a good home. :D :D :P

Lol I take it that you went to westside and got your headers done, congrats, hopefully your as pleased with the outcome as I am.

As the days have progressed since the porting you end up noticing more and more the improvements that it has done. The car feels so much easier and comfortable to drive. Alot less struggle.

Hey CME-LFT, your ex-exhaust manifold has gone to a good home. :D :D :P

Lol I take it that you went to westside and got your headers done, congrats, hopefully your as pleased with the outcome as I am.

As the days have progressed since the porting you end up noticing more and more the improvements that it has done. The car feels so much easier and comfortable to drive. Alot less struggle.

I had this big grin on my face when driving away from the workshop.

Next person to get my ex-exhaust manifold, it's accident free with only 49K's on it, never tracked and driven by an old fart. :D

• 2 weeks later...

i am new here lol

my gf and i just got a facelift stivo

i am planing on going to get the stock headers ported

im in syd

should i go to see westside mufflers ( they are highly recomended on the AE86 forums)

i am new here lol

my gf and i just got a facelift stivo

i am planing on going to get the stock headers ported

im in syd

should i go to see westside mufflers ( they are highly recomended on the AE86 forums)

Seems to be the way to go, head over there and check them out.

Suggest you pop down to the next sydney meet (Saturday 31st) and talk to people first hand about it.