Porting Stock headers or Custom ones?

CME-LFT

Hey guys, westside mufflers quoted $450 for a swap with Stock ported headers( i hand mine in, they give me stock ones that have been ported), liverpool exhaust quoted $600 with custom made (mild steel) headers. He reckons the custom ones are bigger.

What should i go for? ported stockies or aftermarket ones that are larger,

all im worried about is will i lose power down lower in the rev range due to the custom ones being larger (I already have cai, and 2.5inch cat back)

Your opinions would really help guys, and anyone with experience from buying there products would help

(btw i know that a forum member had bought aftermarket headers from livo and they cracked, but ive been told that they've added an extra flex in them since then.)

Thanks all

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey mate....

my tip is go with porting your stock headers... get the flow right and you'll love the advantages you'll get.

Increasing Pipe diameter with a set of custome headers would be GREAT if you were planning on spending the rest of your motoring life in LIFT, then def get them. But if you are like the majority of people, your car wll be daily driven, then the loss in torque will suck anus.

i happen to have a set of Ported Stock headers for sale at the moment... the catch is you ned an engine with a build date PRE March 2003.

All the melbourne guys here have headers ported by Peter at Head 2 Head here in Melbourne, and we've all had tremendous results.

$450 is pricey... we pay roughly $200 for the porting, and then fitting is approx $80... if you can buy a set of headers at the wreckers... start a chain of header porting, with your mates... that way no-ones car is out of action.

all the best with whichever path you choose.

Thanks bks, i also spoke to xoom who recommended porting the stock ones as well. Any exhaust shop (of decent quality that is) should be able to do this correct?

Is it something that requires them to know the specifics of the 2zz to know how much work needs to be done to the headers or is it a basic thing that they should all know how to do pretty much?

Edited by CME-LFT

sportivo headers are made to suit the 2zzge yes... but they have messy welds that cause turbulence..and the piping could do with a huge clean up and be matched better to the head.

anyone can just port headers, but its knowing wtf you are doing. i'd ask around for a reputable custome exhaust manufacturer, or a cylinder head machinist with some expertise in the feild.

or you could send your headers to either CES , or Head 2 head

if you want Peter's (head 2 head) details... PM me.

another set came off the line today for another lucky melbourne sportivo owner.

By factory tuned, do you mean the factory headers that come with the sportivo?

I doubt it. :rolleyes:

I'm part of BKS mob that ported stock headers and is loving it atm.

My setup on the other hand is CES CAI + Ported Stock Headers with stock zorst ..... I could feel the difference with the ported headers towards the low end and in LIFT as I love taking off from the lights a lot and, yup, hitting LIFT !!!!

No doubt my mid range gained some as well because I would be cruising at about 3000 - 4000 RPM at a gear and just floor the gas pedal to increase speed. All I can say is that I seem to get "there" faster ......

Hmmm.... yum .................

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Does he do exchanges? I'd be interested if he did.. Not many people in Perth would do such a job :(

If he doesnt try Trev @ CES as he used 2 .......

Does he do exchanges? I'd be interested if he did.. Not many people in Perth would do such a job :(

If he doesnt try Trev @ CES as he used 2 .......

Trev May do an exchange yes....

Peter and H2H doesnt hold stock of 2zzge headers. If you get a group of WA'ns together and buy a set of headers at the wreckers... then your set. They go for around $150 - $200. but make sure you get the right set of headers for your car!!!! remembering there are 2 types of 2zzge headers in AU. Ones with tabs to cover the air injection ports, and ones without.

From experience... MOST of the headers i came across in wreckers were from PRE March 2003 celica engines, and thus didnt have the tabs to cover the air injection ports..... which most Corolla Sportivo 2zzge's have.

CES does exchange ported and coated headers. You can also get them uncoated if you wish which does bring the price down a bit as coating is expensive. I know CES has a few sets sitting in thier show room atm as i saw them on Friday. Chicaboo had his car there on Friday getting CAI and headers and is loving it. Give CES a call as they will freight anywhere interstate. 07 3200 2333.

As for price think it's around 500ish exchange with a $200 odd holding deposit till you send your stock headers back. Without coating it's around $350 ish just painted with heat proof paint.

coating does look waay kool though all bling bling for your Rolla. :toast:

• 3 weeks later...

ohhh, tempted indeed. I might just drop by CES.

I don't give a hoot how it looks under the bonnet, so if I don't go coated, any performance difference ppl?

Changing cat back probably more benefit, but I'm thinking I don't want the drone of the exhaust, already loud enough for missus. What ppl think>?

whitestivo

i see it this way....

My system, from doing some shopping around.

Ported Headers and had them installed $260

2.5" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Cat Back $250

Xforce Varex Muffler $400 (goes loud for me, and quiet for when i want to be civilised)

how much is the CES catback again?

Bingo.........ive got similar

Stock exhaust - little bit quiter than andy's etc

Xforce Varex Muffler $400 (goes loud for me, and quiet for when i want to be civilised)

very happy with it.......one day i might go to 2.5" madrel bend but i dont see the need at moment....and until dyno results we wont know but through our discussions (me n andy n exhaust shop / header guy) mine would be fair similar to andys as far as performance wise....even with the stock 59mm pipe as opposed to 63mm etc talking back pressure and where the stivo really was constrictive (rear muffler ) etc etc etc.....but yeah happy so thats main thing

Edited by jaderd

I've ported many over here in New Zealand with great results, only take me a few hours to port so if anyones wants to sent me some $100 + return shipping

I do a drive in/out for $200 NZD which is cheep!

Matthew.glading@gmail.com

i see it this way....

My system, from doing some shopping around.

2.5" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Cat Back $250

how much is the CES catback again?

So what resonator do you have??? Or don't you have one at all......

X force Varex...... for those who cannot get a muffler to do the right job and make power without making ridiculous "noisepower".......

I'll pay the cash as CES have been good to me before and I'm confident in their product.

My original question was do I lose performance by not getting it coated. If I don't then they are going on.

For Brad Dreama, I'm not in Sydney but if I had a coin for every time someone said Liverpool Exhaust, well that might be your answer.

Or get it in the post from Melb or CES

whitestivo

Well guys i got my stockies ported at westside mufflers in padtstow yesterday.

Very happy with the product. Better take off (less lag on take off) also more power through the revs especially 4-6grand. Lift seems a bit quicker but havn't really pushed it too much to see how big the gains are but the car feels alot better overall throughout the rev range.

Very Happy. Thanks for your help guys.

All thats left to do it computer and that should keep me happy for a while :D